2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

So far I have two admission offers, and they both have just stipend, and don't require students to TA or get competitive fellowship from external sources. And they both have pretty good health insurance for students, but I believe I still have to pay a small portion of the total costs. but it covers general health insurance and both eyes and dental.

I see.  The program I've been accepted to is a stipend as well, along with health insurance that is covered by the college.  You have to do 1 semester of TA'ing, but the money isn't dependent on that for me.  I've got the funding guaranteed for 7 years but I really hope it doesn't take me that long ha.

I see.  The program I've been accepted to is a stipend as well, along with health insurance that is covered by the college.  You have to do 1 semester of TA'ing, but the money isn't dependent on that for me.  I've got the funding guaranteed for 7 years but I really hope it doesn't take me that long ha.

Let's just hope that you can find a very prolific lab for your thesis!

Congrats!!

I'm actually interviewing at BCM this week. Although the program is different from yours, it's good to know these positive opinions about their environment and community before I get there. :)

Which program are you interviewing for this week?

For all who've been accepted, what are your funding offers like?  Stipend? TAship? Health Insurance?  I thought it might be a nice side discussion to get away from the application/admission stress.

I've received a fellowship offer so far:

Stipends are $6k for summer '14 and $27k for fall '14 - summer '15.

Tuition, fees, and health insurance are fully covered, as well.

No news on the next few years, but I'm waiting to hear back on 4 fellowship nominations/applications, currently.

My POI also said that he has research grant money to cover any of the remaining, non-fellowship, years, but the stipend would probably be closer to $17k/yr. Tuition, fees, and healthcare seem to always be covered within my program.

Edited by Monochrome Spring

Congrats!!

I'm actually interviewing at BCM this week. Although the program is different from yours, it's good to know these positive opinions about their environment and community before I get there. :)

Good luck! Hope you will enjoy it!

Good luck! Hope you will enjoy it!

Right now I'm kind of overwhelmed by the fact that there will be SIX 35 minute-interview sessions. anyways, I will try to enjoy as much as possible!

For all who've been accepted, what are your funding offers like?  Stipend? TAship? Health Insurance?  I thought it might be a nice side discussion to get away from the application/admission stress.

Full tuition (minus fees, not quite sure why), stipend with one semester of required TAing, full health coverage. There is additional support for travel to meetings that they encouraged us to use, and if we are able to get external funding they'll add an additional 2-3k/year as an incentive to apply. The stipend is competitive with other schools in the same range of rankings, they even showed us a cost of living comparison versus some of their competitors haha. 

This program had a late deadline (which is why the late response) but I just got an interview invitation to Cedars Sinai:) Apparently my boss (who works there) knew last week!

Not to disappoint. I called them a week ago again (2nd time) and asked if he can check my application status. He asked me if I received any email so far from him. If I haven't then he said I will get the decision by the end of this month. But, almost all the interview invites have already been extended.

[funny thing, he didnot ask me my name or check my application when he said this again for 2nd time]

so, Good luck!

If you call them they can tell you about your status.

"We will be sending out decisions at the end of the month"

Ah... more waiting.

I just want to know what's going on with UT Austin CMB program. The interview dates that were posted on their website have passed and apparently, according to other' posts here, they are still reviewing our application?

I really like UT cuz of the fact that their new med school will open soon and that will definitely strengthen biomedical and translational research there.

But not knowing anything, I can't even decide whether I should just assume I've been rejected and accept an offer from other schools, or wait another month hoping I will hear from them soon.

I did call the coordinator of the program and left a voice mail message but no answers so far.

I just want to know what's going on with UT Austin CMB program. The interview dates that were posted on their website have passed and apparently, according to other' posts here, they are still reviewing our application?

I really like UT cuz of the fact that their new med school will open soon and that will definitely strengthen biomedical and translational research there.

But not knowing anything, I can't even decide whether I should just assume I've been rejected and accept an offer from other schools, or wait another month hoping I will hear from them soon.

I did call the coordinator of the program and left a voice mail message but no answers so far.

I had been in consistent contact with the coordinator, and they let me know that the committee had rejected my application but official notices would be sent in mid march.  They don't have any interview spots left, aside from a small handful of skype interviews, sorry for the bad news.

I had been in consistent contact with the coordinator, and they let me know that the committee had rejected my application but official notices would be sent in mid march.  They don't have any interview spots left, aside from a small handful of skype interviews, sorry for the bad news.

Thanks for the information.

Well, it's unfortunate that I won't be invited for an interview but at least it makes things easier for me at the same time.

Thanks for the information.

Well, it's unfortunate that I won't be invited for an interview but at least it makes things easier for me at the same time.

Well, it's not certain, I'm only speaking from my application and you still could get a skype interview.  I'd try calling the coordinator tomorrow to confirm.

I've received a fellowship offer so far:

Stipends are $6k for summer '14 and $27k for fall '14 - summer '15.

Tuition, fees, and health insurance are fully covered, as well.

No news on the next few years, but I'm waiting to hear back on 4 fellowship nominations/applications, currently.

My POI also said that he has research grant money to cover any of the remaining, non-fellowship, years, but the stipend would probably be closer to $17k/yr. Tuition, fees, and healthcare seem to always be covered within my program.

Wow that's pretty generous.  Does that mean your total pay for Fall '14 to Fall '15 (one calendar year) is $33k?  Way to go either way!  My healthcare and fees are covered as well.  

Full tuition (minus fees, not quite sure why), stipend with one semester of required TAing, full health coverage. There is additional support for travel to meetings that they encouraged us to use, and if we are able to get external funding they'll add an additional 2-3k/year as an incentive to apply. The stipend is competitive with other schools in the same range of rankings, they even showed us a cost of living comparison versus some of their competitors haha. 

Well I'm sure fees won't be too bad.  My stipend is also based on peer institutions/cost of living, they were quite explicit about that.  The school I'm at will give you another 10% of your stipend if you secure a grant, I think.  Good stuff!

Just received a rejection from MD Anderson. Not surprise at all. However, please give one, just one offer and that will be great

I know, right? I have an offer  from Drexel University but no information about funding and what is PhD without funding? Baffles me why they would even hand out such offer!

BTW, I have heard back from Roswell Park today and my interview is scheduled Feb 20th. It is a skype interview with a faculty I mentioned in my SOP. When was yours? I wonder if this is the final week with only skype interviews.

I know, right? I have an offer  from Drexel University but no information about funding and what is PhD without funding? Baffles me why they would even hand out such offer!

BTW, I have heard back from Roswell Park today and my interview is scheduled Feb 20th. It is a skype interview with a faculty I mentioned in my SOP. When was yours? I wonder if this is the final week with only skype interviews.

Offer sans funding info?  That would make me hesitant.  Not to say they won't send you something in the future but that is really odd.