2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

The lab rotation system is to help students to find a suitable lab for their thesis. So I would say you can always change the lab. (However, I would put that lab in one of my rotation to show that I am really interested in working with that professor).

Hey nermah1! The lab rotation system (if available) is designed to help you find an ideal fit. As long as you have not committed to  specific lab or if Cornell has told you otherwise, you can likely rotate and feel free to make your own decisions about ideal fit later. However, in agreement with zebura, it would be polite to include this professor in your rotations.

Thank you very much! :) Then I shouldn't have any worry about this interview :D  

hey guys,

im new on here. Have any of you guys gotten accepted to UNC-Chapel Hill BBSP yet and when was your interview? I am getting so anxious about this because i did not get many interviews. Thanks

My interview is next weekend for the Micro and Immuno Department.

Got the official numbers from Penn State: at least 25,400 per year, 80% of health insurance, and I got a fellowship for an extra 5,000 my first year.

Also, they'll give me an extra 2,000 if I commit by March 21st. Apparently this is more common than I thought.

hey guys,

im new on here. Have any of you guys gotten accepted to UNC-Chapel Hill BBSP yet and when was your interview? I am getting so anxious about this because i did not get many interviews. Thanks

I interviewed for Neuro on the first week (Jan 23-25) and felt I had done well. Still no news! The director of neuro told me they would send out the vast majority of their acceptances in mid-march, after the final interview weekend.

Anybody here waiting on Mt. Sinai ? 

Yes I am. I don't why they are taking so long. Making me unnecessarily nervous.

I am interviewing with them Mon/Tuesday. They still haven't given me any information about lodging (and I am coming from San Diego). I also know a few students there and they all say their grad office is rather unorganized, which might contribute to delayed responses.  They were also looking at apps in waves.. so I don't know.

Edited by stizz

I am interviewing with them Mon/Tuesday. They still haven't given me any information about lodging (and I am coming from San Diego). I also know a few students there and they all say their grad office is rather unorganized, which might contribute to delayed responses.  They were also looking at apps in waves.. so I don't know.

oh! good luck! Find out if there are more interviews after you. 

Anyone going to MIT this weekend? I haven't actually met anyone from this forum yet and this is my last interview, so this is my last chance!! :P

I'm going! Have you found out who you're interviewing with yet? I wonder when we'll find out, especially since it starts tomorrow!

hey guys,

I interviewed for Neuro on the first week (Jan 23-25) and felt I had done well. Still no news! The director of neuro told me they would send out the vast majority of their acceptances in mid-march, after the final interview weekend.

UNC BBSP hasn't sent out very many offers yet, still two weekends to go and the admissions committees want to see more applicants before making decisions.

Anyone going to MIT this weekend? I haven't actually met anyone from this forum yet and this is my last interview, so this is my last chance!! :P

I'm going! Have you found out who you're interviewing with yet? I wonder when we'll find out, especially since it starts tomorrow!

I'm also going! Interview lists are in the welcome packet at building 68. Managed to pick mine up this evening. Can't wait for tomorrow.

I have some information for future applicants to the Joint Carnegie Mellon University - University of Pittsburgh Ph.D. Program in Computational Biology. I suspect this also applies to the Joint CMU-Pitt Molecular Biophysics and Structural Biology Graduate Program, but I don't know for sure. I should note that some of this may be in the CPCB handbook, but I know that some of it is not. I thought it would be best to list all the differences I heard about today for the benefit of future applicants who search for information in the forums on this program in future cycles.

I found out today that applicants are admitted to either CMU or Pitt based on their interests and the primary appointments of the PIs they are interested in working with / the PIs who are interested in working with them. It turns out this makes a difference for the application process. Pitt requires that all North American applicants interview at the institution before an offer can be extended, while CMU does not. Consequently, CMU admitted students receive offers earlier and without an interview, while Pitt admitted students must come to an interview before an offer can be extended. This is why 90-95% of Pitt admitted students receive an offer if they interview.

Where the student is admitted also affects the offer that is made. CMU does not provide health insurance, and it does not waive any fees. Pitt does both of these things. Consequently, the stipend for CMU admitted students is about $3000-$4000 higher than it is for Pitt admitted students. The coordinators of the program are responsible each year for going through all expenses and payments and making sure that the package offered to all students in the program is worth the exact same amount.

The thesis lab selection process is also different for CMU and Pitt students. Pitt students may either elect to start working in a lab right away if they know for sure who they want to work with, or they have the option of doing three four-week rotations in the first semester. Conversely, I believe CMU students are required to listen to talks given by each faculty member in the program who is taking students. After this is done, each student submits a summary of his or her research interests and PIs he or she is interested in working with, and the PIs submit lists of students that they are interested in working with. Students are matched with PIs based on this information.

Edited by sqxz

I'll be there also. I'm coming from California too (Los Angeles). I was also confused about lodging since I didn't get a reply from the email I sent by the deadline. I emailed the admin and she said they had me down for lodging and that the hotel contact info was on the schedule that was sent out. I guess we show up at the hotel and check-in? Still not sure how it works. Nonetheless I'm really excited! I've been counting down the days, it's my dream school! 

oh! good luck! Find out if there are more interviews after you. 

I believe there are two more interviews sessions after this. I received my invite about a month before the interview. 

UNC BBSP hasn't sent out very many offers yet, still two weekends to go and the admissions committees want to see more applicants before making decisions.

Good to know! I know a girl who got an offer there already but within the biochemistry & biophysics interest (different from myself) and it has really been freaking me out. I'll just continue waiting!

Nope, I haven't!! spaceimmunology said they're in the welcome packet, so I guess I'll just have to wait until then! But the interviews aren't until Monday, yes? Hopefully I get some time over the weekend to remember why I put down the professors who I requested >> 

So there will be at least three of us there this weekend!! The chances are good for us to meet! :P

Edited by elanorci

I have some information for future applicants to the Joint Carnegie Mellon University - University of Pittsburgh Ph.D. Program in Computational Biology. I suspect this also applies to the Joint CMU-Pitt Molecular Biophysics and Structural Biology Graduate Program, but I don't know for sure. I should note that some of this may be in the CPCB handbook, but I know that some of it is not. I thought it would be best to list all the differences I heard about today for the benefit of future applicants who search for information in the forums on this program in future cycles.

I found out today that applicants are admitted to either CMU or Pitt based on their interests and the primary appointments of the PIs they are interested in working with / the PIs who are interested in working with them. It turns out this makes a difference for the application process. Pitt requires that all North American applicants interview at the institution before an offer can be extended, while CMU does not. Consequently, CMU admitted students receive offers earlier and without an interview, while Pitt admitted students must come to an interview before an offer can be extended. This is why 90-95% of Pitt admitted students receive an offer if they interview.

Where the student is admitted also affects the offer that is made. CMU does not provide health insurance, and it does not waive any fees. Pitt does both of these things. Consequently, the stipend for CMU admitted students is about $3000-$4000 higher than it is for Pitt admitted students. The coordinators of the program are responsible each year for going through all expenses and payments and making sure that the package offered to all students in the program is worth the exact same amount.

The thesis lab selection process is also different for CMU and Pitt students. Pitt students may either elect to start working in a lab right away if they know for sure who they want to work with, or they have the option of doing three four-week rotations in the first semester. Conversely, I believe CMU students are required to listen to talks given by each faculty member in the program who is taking students. After this is done, each student submits a summary of his or her research interests and PIs he or she is interested in working with, and the PIs submit lists of students that they are interested in working with. Students are matched with PIs based on this information.

Hello! I applied to the joint PhD in Molecular Biophysics and Structural Biology. Any news from the two Unis? No response from any of the people in the adcom, as well as from program directors. I know their target date (deadline) is April 15 (offers), but isn't that too late already? 

Thanks!

Edited by qualitative

Hello! I applied to the joint PhD in Molecular Biophysics and Structural Biology. Any news from the two Unis? No response from any of the people in the adcom, as well as from program directors. I know their target date (deadline) is April 15 (offers), but isn't that too late already? 

Thanks!

Well, at least some of the CMU students for CPCB have already received their offers. I believe their visit weekend is 3/2 through 3/4. The interview for Pitt students is 2/20 through 2/22, but Pitt students are allowed to go to the CMU interview if this weekend didn't work. Nevertheless, I expect Pitt students will be getting their offers next week.

It could very well be that the policies for MBSB are completely different than those for CPCB. I only suspected that they might be similar since they are both joint programs between the same two universities focusing on the experimental and computational sides of the same field.

April 15 does sound like it's too late to be sending out offers. Looking at "results" from previous years, it also doesn't match up with the dates interviews/offers were given/made for MBSB in previous years. Hope this helps!