2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Well, at least some of the CMU students for CPCB have already received their offers. I believe their visit weekend is 3/2 through 3/4. The interview for Pitt students is 2/20 through 2/22, but Pitt students are allowed to go to the CMU interview if this weekend didn't work. Nevertheless, I expect Pitt students will be getting their offers next week.

It could very well be that the policies for MBSB are completely different than those for CPCB. I only suspected that they might be similar since they are both joint programs between the same two universities focusing on the experimental and computational sides of the same field.

April 15 does sound like it's too late to be sending out offers. Looking at "results" from previous years, it also doesn't match up with the dates interviews/offers were given/made for MBSB in previous years. Hope this helps!

Thanks! Well, April 15 is their deadline so (hopefully) we do hear news before that.  Btw, congrats on your offers so far :)

I've got accepted from UC Davis!

Finally my one year effort sees the decent consequence!! 

They offer good financial package, too! About 23k~27k stipend and other typical support!!!

I have to pay NRT for some quarters (it's complicated) but it's fine because I have my own external fellowship.

I'm really relieved and can now wait for Cornell.

Private meeting that I had today morning with Cornell Plant Biology PI seemed to go very well as he said that he would make a recommendation for me to the adcom!

I can't believe after all the rejections things got suddenly changed :D

Good luck for everybody here!!!

I've got accepted from UC Davis!

Finally my one year effort sees the decent consequence!! 

They offer good financial package, too! About 23k~27k stipend and other typical support!!!

I have to pay NRT for some quarters (it's complicated) but it's fine because I have my own external fellowship.

I'm really relieved and can now wait for Cornell.

Private meeting that I had today morning with Cornell Plant Biology PI seemed to go very well as he said that he would make a recommendation for me to the adcom!

I can't believe after all the rejections things got suddenly changed :D

Good luck for everybody here!!!

Way to go, nermah1!

Finally heading home after a not so hot interview this weekend.  However, last weekend's interview at Davis was AMAZING and I got an official acceptance (sans financial info) this morning.  Two more to go before deciding, but I'm having a hard time imagining anyone beating out Davis...

Finally heading home after a not so hot interview this weekend.  However, last weekend's interview at Davis was AMAZING and I got an official acceptance (sans financial info) this morning.  Two more to go before deciding, but I'm having a hard time imagining anyone beating out Davis...

Davis is amazing for Ecology and I think you'll love it there. Feel free to ask me any questions about the department if you need help making a decision.

Just finished my Davis interview weekend for Immunology. I didn't leave with a positive outlook on the program, and I'm bummed because I really wanted to love it there. It wasn't my greatest weekend either. The others went way better overall.

Just finished my Davis interview weekend for Immunology. I didn't leave with a positive outlook on the program, and I'm bummed because I really wanted to love it there. It wasn't my greatest weekend either. The others went way better overall.

Can I ask what you didn't like about it? I know all the grad groups are different and I had an awful experience with one, but great times with the other two....

Can I ask what you didn't like about it? I know all the grad groups are different and I had an awful experience with one, but great times with the other two....

I would also be interested to hear about this. I just finished interviewing with the micro graduate group. Which did you have a bad experience with?

Hi there! I've also applied to UC Davis for their Animal Behavior program. I've sent you a message in your inbox :)

For those that went to Harvard BBS, what attire did you wear?

Thanks!

Wear what makes you feel comfortable (since they did specify casual attire, after all). I went slightly more formal than jeans, but not a suit and tie like I saw others there wearing. People were all over the spectrum.

Just got home from my UW-Madison CMB interview and I can't express how much I enjoyed my weekend there. The program and faculty were great, Madison seemed like a nice place to live at and the graduate students seemed to have a really close community! 

Just got home from my UW-Madison CMB interview and I can't express how much I enjoyed my weekend there. The program and faculty were great, Madison seemed like a nice place to live at and the graduate students seemed to have a really close community! 

The midwest is a terribly underrated region in the US. Everyone there is legitimately friendly

The last day of my last interview is tomorrow, and I have to say that I am so glad it is almost over. I've had a lot of fun, but I'm also soooo tired! Very glad that the end is in sight (: 

You are at MIT right! How is it? I will be going in two weeks. I spent two summers there so let me know if you have questions regarding faculty, I've had the opportunity to meet with quite a few of them. Good luck!

The last day of my last interview is tomorrow, and I have to say that I am so glad it is almost over. I've had a lot of fun, but I'm also soooo tired! Very glad that the end is in sight (: 

Hey elanorci!!! (won't say your real name on the net, for privacy reasons hahaha)

Good luck on your (and my) interview tmr, and I really hope I can see you in Boston this coming fall.

Can't believe we're both on GradCafe the day before interview hahaha

BostonBio153, on 16 Feb 2014 - 11:21 PM, said:

I think that you could send a thank you note a week later, but instead of just saying thank you, you'd have to have some sort of follow-up (e.g. you talked about some paper they had recently published and read it and had some comments/questions).

Also, Science_Nerd makes a good point about the responses of the interviews as a way to gauge how well you did!

Thanks for the tip! I had a genuine question, so I did just that with on the Profs who interviewed me from my one of top-choice programs. His reply was quite encouraging. But no news about an admit yet so I'm not going to get my hopes up just yet.

I just got a call from Texas...It was a telemarketer. That was just mean. Baylor said very soon...whatever that means. Really hoping for today!

When did you interview at Baylor?

It may be different in your program but when I interviewed there for TBMM program, we were told that it would take about 2 weeks.

When did you interview at Baylor?

It may be different in your program but when I interviewed there for TBMM program, we were told that it would take about 2 weeks.

I interviewed for Immunology the last weekend of January. I called last Wednesday and the program coordinator told me that they haven't sent out any decisions yet, but will be very soon. I couldn't get an exact date though, other than "very soon". So I am waiting anxiously.

I interviewed for Immunology the last weekend of January. I called last Wednesday and the program coordinator told me that they haven't sent out any decisions yet, but will be very soon. I couldn't get an exact date though, other than "very soon". So I am waiting anxiously.

Oh wow, waiting for longer than 3 weeks must have been stressful!  Wish you luck!