2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Acceptance via email from Weill/SKI BCMB program, looks like a generic email sent to everyone.

I will likely end up accepting their offer. Glad to be done with this process, best of luck to everyone else!

Congrats!

Just finished my Davis interview weekend for Immunology. I didn't leave with a positive outlook on the program, and I'm bummed because I really wanted to love it there. It wasn't my greatest weekend either. The others went way better overall.

I just attended that interview as well, and same impression.  I was not at all impressed by the program, faculty, students, etc.  Definitely my least favorite interview so far.

I just attended that interview as well, and same impression.  I was not at all impressed by the program, faculty, students, etc.  Definitely my least favorite interview so far.

Dang, good thing I didn't apply to Davis! I was mainly spurred by Murphy, so gunning off of one faculty member is never a good idea.

Sorry about rejection. I'm waiting to hear from them.

I always have a feeling that if we don't hear from adcom at teh end of Feb, we can simply assume that we got rejected

Roswell Park Cancer Institute admit!! Interview on the 20th and offer on the 24th! First one so far.

edit: first one with stipend and insurance.

Awesome! Such a good feeling knowing your expenses are covered.

Don't know how much this matters, but I just called someone in the Caltech graduate studies office about the status of my application and was told to "expect a decision between now and the beginning of April."

And I asked her if this was even true of people (like me) that haven't gotten an interview or heard back ANYTHING at all, and apparently that's the case. I was also again told that not all options do interviews, even though I specified that I applied to the Biology Ph.D program from the beginning of my call....

Does anyone else think this is weird??

I interviewed with Davis, too (BMCDB) and also just had a lukewarm feeling. The program seems great but I left feeling like everything else was a bit so-so and I was sorta disappointed. I really wanted to like it more than I did. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't great, either. One thing that I think made it difficult was that they interviewed all 60+ of us at the same time, which made it hard to feel like you could stand out.

I'd be interested in hearing others' impressions of Davis (any program). Please PM me if you would like to share.

One thing that I think made it difficult was that they interviewed all 60+ of us at the same time, which made it hard to feel like you could stand out.

..uhhh.. what?

edit: oh, I think I know what you meant...all in one weekend. I was thinking they put 60+ of you in one room and you had a sentence to stand out

Edited by persimmony

I always have a feeling that if we don't hear from adcom at teh end of Feb, we can simply assume that we got rejected

I agree. 

Me too...

I guess i can expect it soon... 

Roswell Park Cancer Institute admit!! Interview on the 20th and offer on the 24th! First one so far.

That's a super fast decision they made, I wish all the schools were like that lol

Congrats!

..uhhh.. what?

edit: oh, I think I know what you meant...all in one weekend. I was thinking they put 60+ of you in one room and you had a sentence to stand out

Haha, sorry. Yes, I just meant that the weekend included more than 60 students since I don't think they had any other weekends to spread them out over. This also may be why it took them about 3 weeks to come to a decision (by comparison, all my other decisions have been super fast, about 1 week).

WHAT!? I got my interview on 10th Feb and I still didn't got any news from them

BTW, what program did you apply?

Edited by zebura

WHAT!? I got my interview on 10th Feb and I still didn't got any news from them

BTW, what program did you apply?

I applied to the Immunology program. A PI I mentioned in my SOP was very interested during the interview itself. I guess that is why a quick offer. They did say though during the interview that they would take two to three weeks to make the decision. Also, because I will have to accept the offer first and then obtain I20 for visa processing stuff so it makes sense that the offer was made out early because the process will be longer for an international student.