2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Hey, how are you guys responding to requests from rejected universities that you let them know where you are attending in the fall? I've just been straight up in letting them know, but...thoughts? Is any one not doing this and if so, why?

Hey, how are you guys responding to requests from rejected universities that you let them know where you are attending in the fall? I've just been straight up in letting them know, but...thoughts? Is any one not doing this and if so, why?

The reason they want to know where you decided to attend is likely to do with record keeping and how they asses the success of their own program. Most programs lump this data together and generate a report of which places the students that accepted their offer got accepted and rejected and which places those that rejected them went. It sort of unofficially ranks them and they use it to try and figure out why students accepted other offers over theirs. Sometimes this leads to improvements in only the interview process, but can also translate to changes in the entire program. They aren't likely to harass you about it. I gave the info to the places I turned down for interviews and the offer I rejected, and they haven't bothered me since.

That being said, you are allowed to tell them no!

I know this is a little late, but here we go...

I applied to an overall of 14 graduate programs, all mostly immunology since I come from a strong immunology background from UC Irvine.  I only received two interview invitations which were from UTMB BMB, and UC Davis Immunology.  I was accepted to UTMB, and waitlisted at UC Davis post-interview.  My obvious choice was to go to UC Davis since their program was a much better fit when compared to that of UTMB.  Furthermore, I also wanted to attend UC Davis because one of my friends who was working in my undergraduate lab was a first-year in that program (and coincidentally she was also my student host at the Davis interview!).  I actually didn't receive the acceptance from UCD until the day before the April 15 deadline, and by then I had already taken the offer from UTMB.  Luckily, I was able to rescind my acceptance from UTMB without any hard feelings (I hope somebody else was able to receive my offer though!).  

To be honest, I'm quite amazed at how I was able to make it into a rather selective program at UCD; I don't have the greatest of stats (3.096 GPA for example), but knowing that I was able to compete with people from UCSD, UC Berkeley, UCLA, and UCSF was a nice morale booster.  I'm sure a lot of those people I met at the interviews have chosen to attend a program they feel is better suited for them, and they really deserve it.  While it wasn't your top choice, it was definitely up there on my list.  Good luck to you guys - I'm sure you'll be happy and will succeed in the program you are ending up at! :)

I applied to an overall of 14 graduate programs, all mostly immunology since I come from a strong immunology background from UC Irvine. I only received two interview invitations which were from UTMB BMB, and UC Davis Immunology. I was accepted to UTMB, and waitlisted at UC Davis post-interview. My obvious choice was to go to UC Davis since their program was a much better fit when compared to that of UTMB. Furthermore, I also wanted to attend UC Davis because one of my friends who was working in my undergraduate lab was a first-year in that program (and coincidentally she was also my student host at the Davis interview!). I actually didn't receive the acceptance from UCD until the day before the April 15 deadline, and by then I had already taken the offer from UTMB. Luckily, I was able to rescind my acceptance from UTMB without any hard feelings (I hope somebody else was able to receive my offer though!).

To be honest, I'm quite amazed at how I was able to make it into a rather selective program at UCD; I don't have the greatest of stats (3.096 GPA for example), but knowing that I was able to compete with people from UCSD, UC Berkeley, UCLA, and UCSF was a nice morale booster. I'm sure a lot of those people I met at the interviews have chosen to attend a program they feel is better suited for them, and they really deserve it. While it wasn't your top choice, it was definitely up there on my list. Good luck to you guys - I'm sure you'll be happy and will succeed in the program you are ending up at! :)

Please dont act like you are amazing. You didnt "compete" with anyone you were at bottom of the barrel. I hope you can survive the first quarter.

Edited by SciencePerson101

Congratulations on your acceptances! I'm so glad everything worked out so well for you! Please don't take SciencePerson101's comments to heart or think that they reflect the general attitudes or opinions of the people on this forum. He/she has a history of making mean-spirited and rude comments in many threads and has come close to being suspended for his/her behavior, jsyk.

I applied to an overall of 14 graduate programs, all mostly immunology since I come from a strong immunology background from UC Irvine.  I only received two interview invitations which were from UTMB BMB, and UC Davis Immunology.  I was accepted to UTMB, and waitlisted at UC Davis post-interview.  My obvious choice was to go to UC Davis since their program was a much better fit when compared to that of UTMB.  Furthermore, I also wanted to attend UC Davis because one of my friends who was working in my undergraduate lab was a first-year in that program (and coincidentally she was also my student host at the Davis interview!).  I actually didn't receive the acceptance from UCD until the day before the April 15 deadline, and by then I had already taken the offer from UTMB.  Luckily, I was able to rescind my acceptance from UTMB without any hard feelings (I hope somebody else was able to receive my offer though!).  

To be honest, I'm quite amazed at how I was able to make it into a rather selective program at UCD; I don't have the greatest of stats (3.096 GPA for example), but knowing that I was able to compete with people from UCSD, UC Berkeley, UCLA, and UCSF was a nice morale booster.  I'm sure a lot of those people I met at the interviews have chosen to attend a program they feel is better suited for them, and they really deserve it.  While it wasn't your top choice, it was definitely up there on my list.  Good luck to you guys - I'm sure you'll be happy and will succeed in the program you are ending up at! :)

Please dont act like you are amazing. You didnt "compete" with anyone you were at bottom of the barrel. I hope you can survive the first quarter.

Hi alanfv91.

You just met our forum's resident troll: SciencePerson101!!!

He's usually a bit grouchy because nobody really likes him, online or real-life, but you'll get used to his presence after a while.

Somebody can't handle others being successful. I kind of pity you.

Hi alanfv91.

You just met our forum's resident troll: SciencePerson101!!!

He's usually a bit grouchy because nobody really likes him, online or real-life, but you'll get used to his presence after a while.

Oh it's cool - I'm sure he's miserable as he is and where he is right now :)

Congratulations on your acceptances! I'm so glad everything worked out so well for you! Please don't take SciencePerson101's comments to heart or think that they reflect the general attitudes or opinions of the people on this forum. He/she has a history of making mean-spirited and rude comments in many threads and has come close to being suspended for his/her behavior, jsyk.

Thanks!  Congrats on your acceptance as well!  I really hope you end up loving the school and program you will be attending.

Thanks!  Congrats on your acceptance as well!  I really hope you end up loving the school and program you will be attending.

To be honest, acceptance is the first hardship in our graduate study and we still need to pass the exam and get our thesis proposal done.

So, prepare yourself and get ready for future challanges. (I also need to be ready) :)

Undergrad Institution: top 15 US Biology

GPA in Major:3.0

Overall GPA:2.8

Masters GPA: 3.9 (MS with Thesis)

GRE Quant: 160

GRE Verbal: 158

GRE Analytical Writing: 4.5

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm really not satisfied with my SOP writing... Everyrime I make it I feel something is inappropriate or missing... I'm really upset now.. plz help me a bit... It's jus I can't express in right words that wat EXACTLY inspired me... Cuz there r 100s of things I used to think bout, got intruigued with.... Wch one would be the best and acceptable when applying for ms in biology.. I ve a 4-yr degree in biotechnology n my goals r firmed... Still I'm having problem in writing

Hope ull help me....

Thanks

• 8 years later...