info on grad programs in computational linguistics

Guest Gnome Chomsky

On 3/9/2017 at 0:40 AM, gdala said:

They have a lot of information on their website about admissions and prerequisites. You do need to know how to program to apply for the one year program. The pathway for linguistics majors allows you to complete the prerequisites and complete the program in two years, but you still should know how to program.  You have a year, so take an intro to programming course and a statistics class if you haven't already.  Focus on learning either Java or C++ as well as you can in the next year, but you don't need to be an expert as it is expected for the 1 year applicants. 

Thank you! Do you know if there are any other prerequisites in math etc? Meaning, if I were to apply and get accepted, will there be courses that are based on the assumption of preexisting knowledge in mathematics/programming etc, or is everything taught? 

On 3/17/2017 at 5:48 PM, ThatSillyLinguist said:

Thank you! Do you know if there are any other prerequisites in math etc? Meaning, if I were to apply and get accepted, will there be courses that are based on the assumption of preexisting knowledge in mathematics/programming etc, or is everything taught? 

That I don't know. If you look into the courses in their curriculum you could check and see if they have any math prerequisites. Or send them an email to make sure.

• 1 year later...

Hi all. I recently got an admit (big surprise) from University of Washington's Computational Linguistics Master's degree. Do any of you have more information on it? How is the course, job placements, research etc.

On 4/12/2018 at 4:58 AM, panda4 said:

Hi all. I recently got an admit (big surprise) from University of Washington's Computational Linguistics Master's degree. Do any of you have more information on it? How is the course, job placements, research etc.

Hi panda4,

Would you mind sharing your background? I am planning to apply in the future. I think this is a very good program. I heard that most students are able to find a job after graduation. 

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

I have a low CGPA ~ 3.1 but my overall profile with technical projects, LORs etc. is strong and I am expecting at least 324+ on my GRE

Will I have a shot at MS in comp ling in UW at Seattle or Rochester?? If not, where else should I apply?

Thanks in advance

• 6 months later...