SLP Fall 2014

Hello everyone!

I'm starting my last semester at Elmhurst College (located in the Chicago suburbs) this fall, where I'm majoring in Speech-Language Pathology and minoring in Spanish. I have a 4.0 GPA and I took the GRE last month and scored 165 V, 155 Q, and 4 AW. I know I totally dropped the ball on the writing section, which was so disappointing because I consider writing one of my strengths. I definitely considered re-taking the GRE, but ultimately decided that it wouldn't be worth all the stress and studying just to get a 4.5 or 5. For those of you who are still studying for the GRE, I HIGHLY recommend Magoosh (http://gre.magoosh.com/).

I have around 40 clinical hours in our school's clinic, I hold leadership positions in NSSLHA and Best Buddies, I have experience volunteering with children with special needs, and I just completed an internship tutoring children in literacy. I also studied abroad in Costa Rica twice and I plan on teaching abroad in South America after I graduate this February. Unfortunately, I don't think my Spanish is strong enough to get me into a bilingual program but I may just apply to some for the heck of it.

I have not decided where to apply, mainly because I can't decide if I want to stay in Illinois or go out-of-state. I'm also trying to decide if the top 10/25 schools are truly worth the hefty price tag. Here are some of the schools I'm thinking of applying to: Elmhurst College (our grad program is actually starting this fall), Northwestern, U of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Indiana U-Bloomington, Marquette University, U of Texas-Austin, U of Wisconsin-Madison. I'm thinking of applying to some schools on the west coast too, but need to do more research on some good schools. I would love to apply to some good, smaller schools as well but I don't know many outside of Illinois (any recs in Texas/California/west coast area?). 

SLPamy: I think you have really good stats! I agree, I think retaking the GRE just to increase your AW score will just be a waste of your money and time. Also, I've asked so many SLPs in forums if the school ranking really matters later on when you're trying to get a job for CF year and they said it actually doesn't. You might wanna look into the criteria for the ranking as well. There are lots of factors to consider (e.g. focus on clinical versus research, faculty specialization) so I guess research is really the key in figuring out the perfect schools for you. But if you're really focused on getting into a highly ranked school, go for it! :)

Best of luck to all of us! :)   

yumangous, I agree with you except for one thing - I have two family members that have recently become SLPs  and they both stated that it is difficult to find a hospital CFY position.  If you're looking to do your CF year in a hospital, it would probably be best to go to a school that has a strong reputation for hospital work so that you have a better chance of getting your CF in that field.

However, as far as finding a job in general, I don't think it matters what grad school you go to as long as it's accredited. 

So I did HORRIBLE on my GRE today. Seeing some of the very well rounded future applicants here, it's a downer and a reminder of how well I need to do to get in a program. I was very disappointed as I barely made it to 300. However, I'm going to do whatever it takes to signiicantly increase my score. NO EXCUSES!

yumangous - I guess it still depends on the school.  You'd probably want to choose a school that has a hospital focus and is highly regarded.  For instance, one of my family members went to Rush (which is actually in a hospital) and had a lot more hospital placements than students from St. Xavier, another school nearby.  I imagine this would help immensely in interview situations because (1) the Rush student had a lot more hospital experience to draw from and (2) Rush has a great reputation for clinicians who wish to work in hospitals.

I'm not saying this is always true; however, it certainly seems to be an advantage in the Chicago area where there are a lot of SLPs around. :)

Pkcd - I wouldn't worry too much about your GRE score - it is only one part of your application.  Just make sure you have a strong SOP and great LORs.  That said, if you still wish to retake, I would definitely check out the GRE section of this forum.  It's very helpful to read about how others have studied for the GRE and what materials they have used.

Hi All!

I'm excited to finally be on one of these forums about the application process!  I'm actually taking the GRE tomorrow (eek!), which is what prompted me to come on here.  I've been thinking about grad school non-stop!  I'm nervous about the grad school applications because I've been a stay at home mom for the last 7 1/2 years and I have no relevant work or volunteer experience.  :/  My undergrad GPA is 3.54 in Linguistics (>3.8 in the major) and so far my pre-req GPA in speech pathology is a 4.0.  I can only apply to one grad school this year, where I live with my family, which makes me extra nervous, since so much of admissions is a crapshoot.  But I can only do my best and then see how it all plays out I guess!

Sayjo- thanks for the positive words. I'm positive I can do much better on the GRE. I'll check out the GRE forum as well like you mentioned:)

Love the Sun- you have a great application so far. Try to get some experience volunteering in a few settings, it won't make or break your admission chance, but it does show that you're flexible and are doing more than just taking your pre-reqs.  Also your undergrad was in lunguistics which is a plus. Just like you said, you do your best!

I have a question for anyone that can answer it. I will be done with all but 2 pre-requisites when I apply for grad school. Does anyone have any input as to how  programs view applicants who have not finished all, but majority of the pre-reqs?

Don't stress. The way I see it, if you're passionate and apply to a variety of schools that are safety and reach, then you'll be accepted to at least one. Make sure you have strong letters of recommendation and an articulate essay to elaborate your experience and goals. Someone will like you enough to accept you and if you get waitlisted, keep in mind hundreds of applicants apply to the same schools and they can't attend them all, so be patient.

We've got a few months before things are due. Take it one day at a time and remember if you know you're meant to do this work, then it will happen :)

Edited by NCAR823

will most schools over look a 3.5 GPA if I have a double major with experience and some other things as well? Or will it all even out? I'm worried since I won't be applying for spring anymore what my chances are for fall

My GPA was a 3.28 and I managed to get in somewhere :) Don't let your GPA hold you back! Focus on other parts of your application, like your experience, LoRs, and essays. It does help if your GRE scores are decent for the numerical aspect though.

Hi guys! 

My name is Stacey. I am a senior at Towson University and am freaking out about this whole application process! It is so overwhelming.

My Stats

Undergrad- Speech Pathology and Audiology major at Towson University

GRE- 156 (VR), 155 (QR), 4.5 (AW)

GPA- 3.83 (cum) 3.8 (major)

My Experience

Summer 2010- Teacher at Special Needs Daycare

Summer 2013- Summer Camp Counselor 

Fall 2011-present- Nanny for 2 year old and 5 year old

Spring 2011-present- 5th grade Sunday School teacher

Fall 2011-present- Volunteer Youth Group Advisor (teens)

My Interests

I'm looking to go into the medical field, specifically pediatric dysphagia. My ultimate goal would be to work in the NICU.

Schools

This is the part that's stressing me out! I have no idea where I'm applying. As of right now, my number 1 is UNC:CH, but that is subject to change.

How many schools is everyone applying to? What is a good number to aim for? I don't want to apply to too many and overwhelm my LOR writers or myself. Does anyone know of schools with a good medical reputation?

smccau3,

Great stats!  I'm currently planning to apply to seven schools, but that number is subject to change.  My number is probably a little overkill; however, I just really want to make sure that I get in SOMEWHERE this year.  Mostly this is because I don't want to be 30 and still in school - my husband and I would like to buy a house and start a family eventually, lol!  

Rush University has a great reputation for medical stuff.  Their program is located in the Rush University Medical Center which is a highly regarded hospital.  However, their program is super stressful - grad students have to take something like 108 credit hours in two years.  Their website is here. I have heard of other programs that focus on the medical side of things, but I don't know any of them off the top of my head.

Good luck!

Edited by sayjo

Hey everyone! I'm Ellen. I'm a senior at the University of South Florida majoring in Communication Sciences and Disorders with a minor in Sociology and a certificate (essentially a minor) in Undergraduate Research. I will be applying for the Fall 2014 application season. I'm excited but nervous!

My brother is my reason for entering the field of speech pathology. My brother has cerebral palsy, ADHD, seizure disorders, and a few other medical issues. He's 22 but his mental age is about 5. He used to be completely non-verbal. His speech therapist was able to get him from being non-verbal to talking in almost full sentences (when he feels like it haha). She has improved his quality of life so much. I want to be able to help people like she does.

I have a 4.0 in the major and a 3.97 overall GPA. I'm in the Honors College at USF so I am currently working on my Honors thesis. I have been researching with the department since my second year at USF (which was my junior year - I'm graduating early) and am going to make that project my Honors thesis. My research mentor and I are working on a project concerning spelling error patterns in children. It's really interesting. Plus my mentor is brilliant.

I just took the GRE today. I scored a 161 V and 155 Q. I'm pretty happy with those scores, especially since PowerPrep was giving me a much lower verbal score. I'm anxious to get my writing score. Normally I'm a good writer but we will see.

I am starting my clinic observation hours at USF this semester. I'm excited! During the summers I observe with my brother's speech pathologist. She's amazing. During the summers I also work as a child care worker for a family support organization. My coworker and I watch the children while their parents receive parenting classes. Many of our children have speech-related issues, emotional issues, and behavioral issues. It's hard work but it is so rewarding. During the summers I am also one of the main caregivers for my brother and a cook at a bar.

I plan to apply to Montclair State University, William Paterson University, Seton Hall University, East Stroudsburg University, Kean University, and University of South Florida. I'm mainly looking at NJ/PA schools. I grew up in New Jersey and spend my summers and school breaks there. I'm getting married in May 2014 and my fiancé and I would really like to stay in NJ (where he lives currently). So location is key for me!

Hey Everyone,

So this is my second attempt for grad school. I applied to three schools for fall 2013 and two denied me out right and Pacific had me on their tier one waiting list. I was a post bac and hadn't been in college for almost 20 years. My GPA for my first degree was horrible. I think a 2.67. I was young and enjoyed the social life a little to much. I graduated from PSU in June with a 3.60 GPA. My GRE scores were 160 qual. 155 verbal and a 3.5 written. My personal statement was strong or so I was told. I had very little extra curricular activities in the field and no work experience. I did have 20 hours of observation. This year I'm getting work experience and doing a bunch of volunteer work. I've been a special needs care giver for the last 4 months and plan to continue right up to grad school.

I'm still not quite sure how the schools chose. I had better stats then some that were accepted. They said that because my first GPA was from so long ago that it wouldn't be that huge of a factor. I'm not so sure. The programs are very competitive and getting more so each year. SDSU had 500 applicants, PSU had a couple hundred and Pacific had around the same.

This year I'm applying to at least 9 schools. I've beefed up my resume so that should help. I think the best advice I can give is to not let the process affect your last quarter or semester of school. It's really hard in spring when people are talking about where they got accepted and you haven't heard from anyone. Finish strong. Once the application is in.... it's out of your hands. Concentrate on what you can control and that's the classes you're currently in. If you don't get in don't give up.. Start making yourself a stronger applicant. If you really want it.... I believe it will happen.

Schools I will be applying to, not in any specific order:

Portland State

Pacific

University of Washington

San Diego State

Cal State Northridge

San Jose State

Cal State Long Beach

Cal State Fullerton

Chico state

Good luck to everyone!!

Hi everyone!

I'm a out-of-field undergraduate Psych major and I'm applying to SLP Programs for the Fall of 2014.  I'm taking online leveling courses at Utah State while I work full-time as a research assistant but I'm dying to start real grad school.  I just took my GREs so thats one step out of the way :rolleyes:

I think I have my list of schools picked out that I want to apply to but I keep changing my mind.  For me, the real issue is that I would like to go somewhere out of state (or out of New England) but I'm not sure where my best shot at scholorships will be.  I know that SLP programs competitive just to get acceptance letters, never mind financial support but it's something to shoot for anyway, lol.  Has anyone heard of programs that offer decent scholarships?  Or a chance at fellowships/graduate assistant tuition remission?

Hi everyone! Excited to be apart of this thread and "meet" some folks in the same boat.

My stats are as follows

Gpa: 3.93 overall 4,0 in the major

Gre: 150v 148q 4.5aw the first time. 154v 145q 4aw the second time.

Worked as a special needs counselor for a summer. Volunteered in a few day cares and elementary schools (inner city). Sorority alumni. Nsslha member. Msha member. Work as a physical therapy technician. Volunteered at a camp for kids who stutter. Honors college. Maybe some others I can't think of righ now haha. I know my gre scores, especially my math, aren't great. So I really hope I won't get rejected because of that. Everyone's stats look amazing. Looks like it'll be a competitive pool. I'm applying mostly to schools in the Midwest. Good luck everyone!

Hi folks - I was around here last year on behalf of my husband, the actual grad school applicant. He applied three places (UW-Seattle, CSU East Bay, and SDSU) and didn't get in anywhere. This year we're replacing a LOR writer (who suggested finding a different person after receiving my husband's email about not getting in ...  <_<) and hoping applying to a broader range of  places works better. 

As far as stats go - several years of experience as a paraeducator in special education, currently employed as such. Post-bacc/2nd BA graduate from Portland State with a 4.0 post-bacc GPA and 3.3 1st BA GPA in Psych. 160V, 153Q, 3.0AW (ouch).

Here's hoping!

Hey Caterpillar!

I recall reading your posts last spring. Are you located in the Northwest? U of O offers the program, PSU as well and they're both ranked around top 50. Does your husband have any research experience? I believe this could also help increase his admissions chances. I would also suggest really working on the SOP. In my opinion, how a person explains their experiences, goals, and sells themselves can make a difference between rejection and waitlisted status.

Hey Caterpillar!

I recall reading your posts last spring. Are you located in the Northwest? U of O offers the program, PSU as well and they're both ranked around top 50. Does your husband have any research experience? I believe this could also help increase his admissions chances. I would also suggest really working on the SOP. In my opinion, how a person explains their experiences, goals, and sells themselves can make a difference between rejection and waitlisted status.

Hi! We actually ended up moving back to CA (we're both originally from here) from Portland and are now in the Bay Area. But PSU is his #1 choice or at least getting back to the PNW in general, so I'm sure U of O will make it on the list. He doesn't have any research experience, nor any reasonable way of getting any, unfortunately. :( He's going to go over the SOP again but last year all the feedback he got from his professors and peers was that it was a strong SOP... so not sure how much work is needed there. It's hard to say if having a lackluster LOR writer was the most damning thing or if there was more he needs to look over as he gets ready for this application season.

Sending in my first application on Monday! Exciting!!! Good luck to all of us! :)

Good luck!! :)

I'm worried about how to get LORs. I'm going to ask my research mentor for one but I can't figure out who to ask for the other one. My teachers tend to know that I do well in the course but I don't really visit them or anything. I'm a little shy with teachers :/ Is it okay to ask a teacher just because you did really well in their course? For reference, I had this teacher for two courses (Phonetics & Speech Science) and earned A+s in both.

I'm another PSU post-bacc starting in a week and a half! I really want to get good grades, so I'm spreading it out over a year and a half instead of trying to cram it into one year. Since I do have to work part-time, I'm taking the minimum course load to be considered full-time so I can really focus on getting those As. My undergrad GPA was around a 3.2 (I graduated in May 2011), so not amazing, but could be worse. I became interested in speech-pathology because I realized that my undergrad degree wouldn't give me the opportunity to work directly with people and as I've grown up, I discovered that is where my passion and talent lies. Growing up, I struggled with a speech disorder, albeit a comparatively mild one, which really fueled my desire to enter this field. 

I've worked with adults who have developmental disabilities for a little over two years now and the experience I've gotten has been invaluable, but I'm not sure how that experience will translate in a grad school application. I'm looking for clinics to volunteer at as well and I know a few SLPs as well for job shadowing opportunities. I'm excited/nervous about the whole process, but I'm following this thread for tips even though I won't be applying until fall 2015. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I'm an out-of-field applicant looking at 3 year programs. Here are some of my stats:

Undergrad GPA: 3.73

Psychology BA

M.Ed GPA: 4.0

GRE: V-167, Q-159, W-4.5

I've been teaching elementary school for the past seven years and am wanting to change careers because of my passion for everything speech/language and my experiences with specific students who have needed support in speech/language. I've been wanting to specialize for years now but didn't think I would be able to go back to school until very recently. I've been trying to boost my SLP experience this past year while working full-time.

Here are some things I've done:

Volunteer at a bike camp for kids with disabilities, volunteer for a theater camp for teens/young adults with disabilities, volunteer at a speech-language clinic, shadowing experience with an SLP (soon I hope), observed an audiologist, currently taking a hearing disorders class in the evenings

I'm worried most about how little SLP experience I have so far. I also hope I can get recommendations from someone in the field, as right now I have recommenders lined up from my M.Ed and my work. I'm also working like crazy on my SOP to show my relevant experience as a teacher and why I'm so interested in and qualified for this field.

I'm also still deciding on my final list of schools to apply to. Right now my first choice is University of Minnesota, Twin Cities :) Anyone else applying there?

Good luck to everyone!