SLP Fall 2014

Hey guys-

So I know it depends on the school and their admission guidelines, but are any of you waiting to send your transcripts until your grades from this semester are finalized? I think that's what I am going to do. Any thoughts on this? It makes me kind of nervous sending things in after they are due but it seems as if most places allow you to do it when it comes to transcripts.

Thanks!

Rachel

Hey Rach,

I am only applying to schools on the CSDCAS system. For these schools, you can send a transcript before your final grades are posted. They have an interim period on CSDCAS, between December and February, when you can enter your new GPA into your application, and resend your original transcript with the fall quarter/semester GPA. It is really important to send everything in on time, so check the school... some require all the documents received by the due date, while others accept the due date as the post-marked date. I know people who have been admitted after handing materials in late, but I would not recommend taking the risk.

Check with the schools that are not on CSDCAS for their typical protocol. I have found a quick phone call to be really helpful and informative.

This is my second time applying. I have a BA in Linguistics, but have taken soo many CSD courses. I'm finishing up all the prereqs needed/recommended for most programs. I'm taking 3 right now and the final 2 next semester. I am a licensed SLP-A and I mostly work with autistic children. I had no prior experience when I applied last time, so hopefully it'll be better this time. I'm kinda freaking out.

I have a feeling I am about to make many of you feel GREAT about your acceptance chances. :) My undergraduate GPA was a 2.3. I did go back years later and get a teaching credential and I have above a 3.5 GPA there. In addition, I have 12 hours of Graduate classes (health) with above a 3.5 as well.

GRE scores are subpar as well--154 V, 143 Q and AW-5.

Hopefully, they will look at other things. I have excellent letters of recommendation from former employers. I have worked with kids that are in the Austism spectrum, tutored a child that had speech delays,  shadowed Speech Pathologist, and have heaps of volunteer experience in every community I have lived in. I have six years of experience teaching, (ESL, English, Writing, AVID) seven if you count substitute teaching.

I have work experience in Australia and China.

Wow, Virginiarunninggirl! You have quite a lot of experience. I am kinda in the same boat. I feel really good about my chances because of my LOR, SOP, and experiences, though I am still cringing when I look at my GRE score and review my UG GPA. I am really open about the process this time around, because my schedule is flexible and I could potentially extend my post-bacc into a second UG if no Grad schools have room for me in their programs for Fall 2014. Realistically speaking, the year in between could really help me decrease the hefty debt that is bound to burn a hole in my wardrobe. I am involved in 2 research projects, I started and run a Language and Literacy Intervention Program in Seattle, am a former Montessori teacher, and have experience as a language tutoring. I am bilingual (almost tri, but my time in Portugal was short lived, so I'm honest and say my expressibility is basic), and am applying to schools with bilingual programs and large literacy departments. It makes my selection small, but like I said, I am comfortable taking the year off to apply again and up my GRE and GPA with a second bachelors :)

What schools are you applying to?  

Thanks, I have quite a bit of volunteer experience around children as well.  Including non-verbal children, emotionally disturbed, etc... I would like to think that my actual work experience would count more than grades that are fifteen years old.

My husband is in the military, so I am applying to ODU and a couple of schools that offer an online option. Moving away is not an option. We are doing fine financially, so there's no reason to put that burden on our marriage. Fortunately, I have my teaching credential, so if I don't get in, I can take the steps to get that transferred to where we are living (a long process, so I am told). I am also taking pre-requisite classes at ODU this semester and I will be looking for places that I can volunteer.

Has anyone had any luck calling clinics and asking to volunteer?

Also, where do you put shadowing experience? (I am using the CSDCAS website).

Has anyone put athletic accomplishments in their application? There is a place to put "hobbies." I completed a full Ironman triathlon, which I'd like to put as it shows extreme self-discipline and might be something unique--maybe?

One more question--I am revising my first novel and it was that novel that led me into Speech Pathology. My main character had a stroke and I had to do heaps of research regarding his inability to speak. Not sure where to put that in the application, or if it is just something to talk about in my personal statement.

NCAR823, what were your GRE scores? How is your application coming?

Hi virginiarunninggirl,

I'm an out-of-field applicant too and also have teaching experience. :)  Re your question about including athletic achievements - I am not planning to put any on my CSDCAS application.  I am a figure skater and have continued to skate into adulthood; however, I struggle to see how this would be relevant to my application.  Others on here may disagree with me, but I feel that unless you address your athletic achievement (and your perception of its relationship to graduate school) in your personal statement, I don't think it should be included in your application at all.

Also, I think that your novel would be best in your personal statement to speak about what sparked your interest in SLP.  However, I would be cautious of devoting too much time to it - it sounds like you have some great concrete experiences relating to SLP, such as your work with children on the Autism spectrum.  I would try to focus on these experiences, especially since you are out-of-field.  You want the admissions committee to know that you have relevant experience since us out-of-fielders are competing with those who majored in this field of study for the past four years.

Hope that helps!  Good luck to you!

Sayjo,

I have it in my sop, at the moment. I may wind up taking it out. When you are older it is harder to compress everything into under 5000 characters. But in my case, training 30 hours a week, while working full time, shows that I can commit myself to a goal and follow through. But I also have to briefly account for my low gpa, put in my relevant experience,  talk about my most recent grades that show improvement, etc...

I'm new to the forum, from Michigan and applying to a few in-state. Wouldn't be completely opposed to getting out of the mitten but who knows?!

Which schools in MI are you applying to. I'm applying to them all lol

Which schools in MI are you applying to. I'm applying to them all lol

I'm applying to WMU, Wayne, and MSU. I'm mostly sticking to applying to schools in the midwest, so tons in Ohio and some near Chicago. We will see....I'm pretty nervous over here haha

Make sure to check school websites!!! Some of the CSDCAS due dates are not correct.

Additionally, ASHA's list of bilingual emphasis schools may be outdated. A friend and I have reached out to two of the schools that were listed to find more information on the bilingual options because there was nothing listed on the University's websites. The department contact responded to inform us that both of these schools do not offer bilingual options (these two schools were CU Boulder and MGHI). 

If anyone else has more information on these topics, feel free to update or clarify!

Happy Friday everybody!

I'm applying to WMU, Wayne, and MSU. I'm mostly sticking to applying to schools in the midwest, so tons in Ohio and some near Chicago. We will see....I'm pretty nervous over here haha

I am super nervous too! I am applying to all the schools in MI plus toledo, bowling green and Miami of Ohio. I hope everything works out for you! Where did you do your undergrad??

I am super nervous too! I am applying to all the schools in MI plus toledo, bowling green and Miami of Ohio. I hope everything works out for you! Where did you do your undergrad??

Yeah i'm also applying to Toledo...such an early application due-date and an interview process which is pretty scary! I did my undergrad at U of M but since they don't have an undergrad program I've had to take SLP classes from a couple other places...what about you? 

What does everyone think is the weakest part of their application?  For me, it's definitely the small amount of in-field coursework I've currently completed.  I'll be completing my second bachelor's via Utah State by August 2014, but right now I've only got two classes.  Even though I think the rest of my application is strong, I feel that it won't even be looked at just based on my coursework.

I'm feeling overwhelmed by applications and am stressing out that I'm not going to get in ANYWHERE.  I hope I'm not the only one!

Yeah i'm also applying to Toledo...such an early application due-date and an interview process which is pretty scary! I did my undergrad at U of M but since they don't have an undergrad program I've had to take SLP classes from a couple other places...what about you? 

wayne state. It is a great program! Yeah that is too bad U of M does not have it- would have been another option for me. I need it lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! How is everyone doing? I've decided to attend Macquarie University in Sydney, Australia (w/partial scholarship). I couldn't risk not coming to Australia in Feb so I could wait for US results in March since I'm not even sure I'll get accepted in the 3 schools I've applied to.

Anyway, I wish everyone the best of luck! If there's anyone here who might be going to Australia too, feel free to message me! :D   

Hi! How is everyone doing? I've decided to attend Macquarie University in Sydney, Australia (w/partial scholarship). I couldn't risk not coming to Australia in Feb so I could wait for US results in March since I'm not even sure I'll get accepted in the 3 schools I've applied to.

Anyway, I wish everyone the best of luck! If there's anyone here who might be going to Australia too, feel free to message me! :D   

Congratulations! Although I would of loved to see you at the University of Northern Iowa :P I don't blame you for not wanting to risk it, I wish we found out earlier than March. It sure would make my life easier, haha. Congrats as well on the scholarship, that's awesome! Best of luck to you!

Congratulations! Although I would of loved to see you at the University of Northern Iowa :P I don't blame you for not wanting to risk it, I wish we found out earlier than March. It sure would make my life easier, haha. Congrats as well on the scholarship, that's awesome! Best of luck to you!

Thanks! :) Crossing my fingers for all of you who are waiting for March!