Older students?

NavyMom

Only you will know how much you want it. Personally I'm all for going again if you can or more importantly, if you want to. Rejection does not define your worth

I really do want it ! But it has been rough.. feel deeply disappointed.. I just need the gather up my courage and resolve that was just so badly torn by these rejections.. will have to retake GRE, work on some more publications, and gain some additional coursework.. 

Then again.. it's just a year.. I spent 12 years as a stay-at-home .. don't regret that... Thankfully I don't have worry about looking for a job.. My husband supports me well at this 

It is good to Take a new start , n now a days it's very easy to get graduated Or a degree.Because of online schooling.You can get what you want At your door step. I was also a Part Of online Schooling Sytem. I left my studies year's ago but i took decision to study online n now i am graduated. :) i am earning Better After Graduation Degree :)

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so now I am back.  It's been kind of crazy around here.  Finally finished my BA in the last couple of weeks, so I am starting to move forward in prepping for grad school.  So many things to learn before hand.

Is there a "dress code" that is expected?  Is it considered a professional atmosphere in comparison to undergrad?  What should I expect for the reading? 

I live in the area where my school is already, so I don't need to visit the school, or explore.  I can use all that time to mentally prepare myself for what's coming, and getting myself in the mindset of being a grad student.

Also, this will be very different for me, because I haven't experienced the "college experience" on a campus before.  All of my undergrad classes have been online, as a distance learning student.  My associate degree classes, well, I don't really count them as part of the "college experience", because all I did was just go to night classes, and the life was kind of boring.  For grad school, I will be attending classes on campus, and most likely will be spending a lot of time on the campus studying, doing research, etc.

My husband has been a terrific supporter in this, but I want to prepare him for this too.

Tami

NavyMom that will depend on your department atmosphere, which might also be field dependent. I've noticed that Business grad students are certainly better dressed than the Archaeology grad students :-) Also, if you are TAing or have another job on campus in which you must look professional.

I think that SOME grad students are at least not as grubby (note: huge sweatpants and sweatshirts) as SOME undergrads. 

I think there are clothing threads for grad students too if you are looking for suggestions - but I don't know how to share those threads. 

Okay, so now I am back.  It's been kind of crazy around here.  Finally finished my BA in the last couple of weeks, so I am starting to move forward in prepping for grad school.  So many things to learn before hand.

Is there a "dress code" that is expected?  Is it considered a professional atmosphere in comparison to undergrad?  What should I expect for the reading? 

I live in the area where my school is already, so I don't need to visit the school, or explore.  I can use all that time to mentally prepare myself for what's coming, and getting myself in the mindset of being a grad student.

Also, this will be very different for me, because I haven't experienced the "college experience" on a campus before.  All of my undergrad classes have been online, as a distance learning student.  My associate degree classes, well, I don't really count them as part of the "college experience", because all I did was just go to night classes, and the life was kind of boring.  For grad school, I will be attending classes on campus, and most likely will be spending a lot of time on the campus studying, doing research, etc.

My husband has been a terrific supporter in this, but I want to prepare him for this too.

Tami

Here's the thread on dress: 

Just found this thread!  I am 32, and was accepted to an MSW for fall 2014.  It is nice to see other mature students, as a I sometimes feel really out of place in my classes (other times not at all).  The average age for my program is 27, so that should help!

Does anyone else in here have multiple degrees?  When I am done my psych degree this term, I will have 4 degrees (1 MA and 3 undergrads).  I am just curious if anyone else has more than one degree, and how you put it on your CV so that it doesn't look scattered.  My education has a definite plan, but I worry that employers might freak out.

Thanks!

:)

I'm an older student.  42.  Married.  No children.  I'm finishing up a second undergraduate degree (I didn't enjoy working in the field that my first degree was in, so, after working for several years and discussing things with my husband, I decided to go back to school).  My husband has been incredibly supportive throughout my second degree, and I'm fortunate that he's been able to support us!  He even does most of the household chores so I can focus on my studies.  He's a gem. :)

I was told by one faculty advisor that I would be lucky to get any interviews for graduate programs or dietetic internships, because I was such a non-traditional student.  Well, I proved her wrong and ended up with interviews everywhere I applied, and with offers to my two top choices of combined Masters-dietetic internship programs.  I made sure that I emphasized all the skills I had from my years in the work force, as well as the unique problem solving abilities I had from my first degree.

Does anyone else in here have multiple degrees?  When I am done my psych degree this term, I will have 4 degrees (1 MA and 3 undergrads).  I am just curious if anyone else has more than one degree, and how you put it on your CV so that it doesn't look scattered.  My education has a definite plan, but I worry that employers might freak out.

I have two undergraduate degrees (or I will, once this semester is over).  I put both of them on my CV and resume.  In part, because I completed a thesis/research project as part of my first degree that is tangentially related to my current career and also because I won an award for graduating at the top of my class, so it is definitely something I want to highlight.  I also feel that my first degree gives me a unique perspective on some issues in my field.  Also, if I didn't include my first degree, it would leave a significant gap in my resume, which I know employers definitely don't like seeing.

Does your current university have a career centre or similar type of service?  You could ask them about how to best go about showcasing your multiple degrees on your resume.

Edited by RunnerGrad

I have been on this site over a year and just now found this thread. :)  Thanks to the OP for starting it.  It's been great to read through and see the wide range of experiences and ages and histories.

I'm finishing up my first undergraduate degree this semester.  I had a great career without having completed a college degree but I hit a wall with it and found I wasn't fulfilled, so going back to school to finish up the last 60 credits was a great opportunity to switch fields.  I am fortunate, in a way, to have needed to go back and finish my undergrad degree before applying to grad school, because I had ready access to letters of recommendation.

I just turned 50 a couple months ago and have been accepted to my top choice PhD program to start this fall.  (I'll worry about the odds of getting a job as a newbie in this field at 55 when the time comes.  For now, the next hurdle is that PhD degree.)

I don't know if my age has been a factor in schools hesitating to accept me.  I got offers and quite a bit of interest from many of the schools I applied to.  I did have a strange phone conversation with the program chair of one school I applied to.  This person called "to talk to me about my application" yet she only asked me questions related to my age.  She didn't ask me anything about my qualifications or my interests.  But that was all right; I was prepared for the age questions. 

I haven't come across any other instances of noticeable reaction to my age in the application process.  All feedback I've gotten has been positive (the above incident wasn't negative; it just gave me pause.)  And as I've said, I have been accepted to a great program, so I say:  go for it.   

Edited by Bren2014

I don't know if my age has been a factor in schools hesitating to accept me.  I got offers and quite a bit of interest from many of the schools I applied to.  I did have a strange phone conversation with the program chair of one school I applied to.  This person called "to talk to me about my application" yet she only asked me questions related to my age.  She didn't ask me anything about my qualifications or my interests.  But that was all right; I was prepared for the age questions. 

Bren, can you say more about the questions you got about your age? And was that phone call from a program that did or did not accept you? An HR rep could not (or should not) ask such questions during a job interview; funny that we put up with it from grad programs. 

It is illegal for anyone who has a say in admissions to ask age related questions, just as it is to ask about religious beliefs, sexual orientation, marital status, disabilities, or position on abortion.

I had a student during the admissions process ask me if I thought I would have trouble relating to my classmates because of my age, and that maybe instead of socializing I would feel like "I needed to get home." I was furious, and later found out that the individual is incredibly nice and was just ignorant as what was, and was not ok to ask. I let the admissions committee know after the process was over so as to avoid the student making that mistake in the future. It's another matter if the program chair does that, and not so easily forgivable in my opinion. I'm glad you felt like you could handle it alright.

Congrats on the BA!

I dress fairly casually for my regular classes but of course wear business clothing (dress code) for internship work. My classes have been once a week for 2+ hours and I want to be comfortable if I am sitting for that long.

Thanks!

I have multiple degrees and include all but significantly pare down the non-applicable degree to just 1 or 2 lines.

I'm an older student.  42.  Married.  No children.  I'm finishing up a second undergraduate degree (I didn't enjoy working in the field that my first degree was in, so, after working for several years and discussing things with my husband, I decided to go back to school).  My husband has been incredibly supportive throughout my second degree, and I'm fortunate that he's been able to support us!  He even does most of the household chores so I can focus on my studies.  He's a gem. :)

I was told by one faculty advisor that I would be lucky to get any interviews for graduate programs or dietetic internships, because I was such a non-traditional student.  Well, I proved her wrong and ended up with interviews everywhere I applied, and with offers to my two top choices of combined Masters-dietetic internship programs.  I made sure that I emphasized all the skills I had from my years in the work force, as well as the unique problem solving abilities I had from my first degree.

Congrats on getting the interviews and proving the advisor wrong. We are living longer and so are able to have multiple careers but a little hair dye (and creative resume writing) will also help.

I have been on this site over a year and just now found this thread. :)  Thanks to the OP for starting it.  It's been great to read through and see the wide range of experiences and ages and histories.

I'm finishing up my first undergraduate degree this semester.  I had a great career without having completed a college degree but I hit a wall with it and found I wasn't fulfilled, so going back to school to finish up the last 60 credits was a great opportunity to switch fields.  I am fortunate, in a way, to have needed to go back and finish my undergrad degree before applying to grad school, because I had ready access to letters of recommendation.

I just turned 50 a couple months ago and have been accepted to my top choice PhD program to start this fall.  (I'll worry about the odds of getting a job as a newbie in this field at 55 when the time comes.  For now, the next hurdle is that PhD degree.)

I haven't come across any other instances of noticeable reaction to my age in the application process.  All feedback I've gotten has been positive (the above incident wasn't negative; it just gave me pause.)  And as I've said, I have been accepted to a great program, so I say:  go for it.

Congrats on the degree. Nice to have someone closer to my age here. I also have been working on how to handle the age questions if asked. Luckily my field (Gerontology) is a bit more accepting - but they should be.

You seem to have a great attitude so that will go a long way. Good luck in your program.

I just checked, and I am an officially classified student as they finally received my transcripts with my BA posted on them.  :)

Now I just register for class in June. 

So crazy it's here.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 32 and just beginning Grad school. I also have two kids but they live with their mother during the Spring and Fall. I won't be taking any summer classes since they will be with me during that time. I am a little older than most who start grad school but I wouldn't have been ready for this until now.

I swear I was 18 until I was 30.

If I had gone to grad school after my first undergrad attempt I would have ended up with a useless couple of music degrees or something like a MA in Chaucer or Beowulf. Not that it's a bad thing, it's just impractical if you want to work I suppose.

Anyhow, I start in the Fall and I think I'll be able to finish it up in three years with no problems even while working full time. Pretty cool, I guess we'll see.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I'm 32 and just beginning Grad school. I also have two kids but they live with their mother during the Spring and Fall. I won't be taking any summer classes since they will be with me during that time. I am a little older than most who start grad school but I wouldn't have been ready for this until now.

I swear I was 18 until I was 30.

If I had gone to grad school after my first undergrad attempt I would have ended up with a useless couple of music degrees or something like a MA in Chaucer or Beowulf. Not that it's a bad thing, it's just impractical if you want to work I suppose.

Anyhow, I start in the Fall and I think I'll be able to finish it up in three years with no problems even while working full time. Pretty cool, I guess we'll see.

So you have the nerve to call music and English degrees useless with a sociology degree? Glad old age showed you the light. 

I'm definitely in this category - 51, divorced father of 2 teens (the oldest lives with me full time, the youngest splits time between me and the ex.).  With the prospect of paying for college in a couple of years, I'm in no position to leave my job so I've applied to the online/on-campus MPH program at UC Berkeley.  Should hear by mid to late June - it will be interesting to see if they offer any financial aid beside loans. I'm also taking a look at some other online programs in case UC Berkeley doesn't pan out (I'm pretty impressed by how many well regarded schools offer an online program for public health).

JB

• 1 month later...

I'm definitely in this category - 51, divorced father of 2 teens (the oldest lives with me full time, the youngest splits time between me and the ex.).  With the prospect of paying for college in a couple of years, I'm in no position to leave my job so I've applied to the online/on-campus MPH program at UC Berkeley.  Should hear by mid to late June - it will be interesting to see if they offer any financial aid beside loans. I'm also taking a look at some other online programs in case UC Berkeley doesn't pan out (I'm pretty impressed by how many well regarded schools offer an online program for public health).

JB

How interesting!  I am going to Sac State for the MPPA degree starting this fall.

I just turned 39 and I also just graduated with my undergrad.  Did you check out CSU Northridge? They have a fairly competetive online degree program as well.  Not sure about public health, but I do know they have an online MPA program so it's possible.

Where abouts do you live? 

How interesting!  I am going to Sac State for the MPPA degree starting this fall.

I just turned 39 and I also just graduated with my undergrad.  Did you check out CSU Northridge? They have a fairly competetive online degree program as well.  Not sure about public health, but I do know they have an online MPA program so it's possible.

Where abouts do you live? 

I live down in the SF Bay area, East Bay.  I work in Oakland, so the campus is really convenient.  I found out in early June that I'm admitted so now it's working out the details.  Like teaching my teenagers to cook for themselves (early practice for college....).

Good luck with your degree!

JB

JB

In my mid 30s and just starting an MA this fall (my field doesn't seem to really do straight to phd admits). I just finished my BS last month, and, while I wanted to go to grad school, the idea was a bit daunting. I dropped out of my UG a decade earlier, and just went back full time for three semesters to finish up. It was very isolating, as I was in a small town, a decade older than all of my classmates, and without much of a local support system (my best friend is in the area, which helped when the loneliness got bad). It was weird, trying to connect to these 19-22 year olds as a peer in the classroom, but knowing that going out with them, or whatever, was just bizarre.

Entering my MA, I am worried that most of my classmates will be in that 22-24 range as well (a viable concern, considering that 1/2 my courses are actually 400 levels with a master's variant (extra paper) so I will be in class with undergrads and grad students). Thankfully, I was able to meet a number of the PhD students at a conference recently, and discovered thatm while I'm still older than all of them, I don't think it will be so bad.

That said, I'm hoping to get into at least one or two outside activities where I can meet people my own age. While I don't have children or a spouse, I find that it's easier to relate to people who do, and have lived lives outside the academy, than my fellow students who haven't had much in the way of life experience. With six years of schooling left (I'll finish in my early 40s), I want to make sure that I'm happy and healthy, along with succeeding in the classroom.

Hi all! So glad to find this thread! (thank you, NavyMom, for starting it) I'm 46, just started my PhD last year, and am now switching programs so will be re-starting my PhD (with 9 credits of coursework transferring, yay). All the students in my old and my new cohort are much younger than I am - although most think I am in my mid 30's :). I have made some great friends in other cohorts - but still with quite an age difference. All that to say, making connections with other students has not been nearly as hard as I thought it would be. But sometimes I do feel a little bit older (I'll be 50 when I get my PhD - and that is if all goes according to plan) and reading this thread is fantastic. NavyMom, you posted the idea of connecting via chat a while ago, and I would absolutely love that. 

I am 35 mom of three young children.  I am starting my graduate course work this Fall.  So glad to find this thread.  I finished undergrad in 2001 got married that same year worked a bit and began a family in 2004.  I've been at home since 2005 I knew that when I re-entered the working world I would have to go back as a whole new person.  I wanted something completely different.  Wishing you all the best as fall is just around the corner.  Can I ask the group when is your first day of class and how many hours are you taking?  My first day is August 25 and I'm taking six hours Intro to Counseling and Counseling Theories and Techniques.  Feeling a mixture of excitement and anxiety that's hard to explain.  My husband is supportive but I know this will not be a walk in the park however, I believe I'm up for the challenge. 

Ha! You all get an extra week or two off. I have to report on the 18th for TA training (though I don't know what I'm teaching yet). It looks like I'm the only one in my incoming group (MA) that's much over 21, but the PhD group seems pretty friendly.

I start the day after Labour Day.  For the first two semesters I have five courses a semester, and most of those courses are three hours of class and at least one hour of lab/tutorial (some have longer labs).  So basically the same type of course load as undergraduate studies.  Then next summer I'll have two internship placements, followed by another semester of courses and research, and then another semester of internships.

There are a couple of students who are already practicing RDs, returning to university to upgrade their credentials with a master's degree.  So there will be at least one student fairly close to my age, although I do think she's still a few years younger than me.

I  technically start the day after labor day. That being said... I have to start my summer assignment (now), by reading 5 books, 10 publications, and 5 theses.... then write a 10 page paper and turn it in a week before class meets for the first time.  THEN... I have class on Sept 2nd. Then that Friday from 5-8pm, then Sat & Sun from 8-5pm, Mon from 6-9pm, and finally Tues from 6-8pm.

My normal classes are just Monday and Tuesday.  I am going part time since I work full time.  Taking Intro to Public Policy and Administration and Applied Economic Analysis I.  :)