Older students?

NavyMom

Howdy,

I figured I would chime in since I'am somewhat older lol.. I'am 36 with 2 associates a Bachelors Degree in Pre-Law which will be finished very soon and I just got accepted to Creighton University Graduate School.  I have 15 years total government service at various levels, e.g 2 branches of military, federal government civilian and government contractor.  I wanted to pursue a master's degree because I have hit a plateau and I am looking for something that will provide me a little bump. Recently, I was working full-time as a space analyst on a military installation but do to corporate greed I was laid off in March due to my salary. I actually referred the guy that replaced me, they paid him 14k less.  Anyway, I am ready to begin the next chapter, at least I think I am.  I applied for the fall semester and was accepted unconditionally, no aid given. I assume it was due to having a pretty good job at the time and I wasn't in need of aid.  

Should I let them know that I am currently unemployed?  Would this really change anything? Thanks for listening.

Applied: Creighton University

Accepted: Creighton University

Program: Master's East-West Studies with an emphasis in Business

Arion327, definitely let them know your situation has changed.  Did you file a FAFSA?  At my school, that is needed for anything related to financial aid - loans, fellowships, work/study, etc.  I'd assume that is the same for any US school.  There is also a set appeals process for when situations change.

Although I will continue to work full time, I was offered loans to cover the full amount of tuition plus an estimate for books.  The interest rate seems a bit high to me, but it's nice to have the flexibility.

JB

JB,

I filed a FASFA just in case for the fall and spring, last week I received the financial aid packet that stated they would provide me a federal loan for the full amount.  I was hoping of receiving a scholarship or grant of some kind but I haven't received any information on if I will receive an award.  

Another situation has arrived :(

It seems like there's always something.  The school I'am currently at is limiting students on the number of hours to take.  Like I said I'am currently unemployed, so I have a lot of free time and the one accelerated class I'm taking (1 class every 6 weeks) doesn't take anytime whatsoever.  I have to write an appeal saying why I should be allowed to take more than one class.  When I talked to the guy yesterday, he stated students are typically denied to take more than one accelerated class at a time. That's quite frustrating, as it stands I would be taking graduate courses if I chose, with undergraduate courses the fall.  Seems pretty straightforward there until I throw in the fact that I might get accepted to a management program at a fortune 500 which is dependent on me completing my degree by December. This company provides tuition reimbursement which is why I applied to the program, so I can limit my debt.  Lol sometimes I wish I had easy decisions, but there seems to be zingers at every corner.  Either way it seems I have to write the appeal, it just makes since but I might have to put off my graduate school courses until January :(

Just very frustrated right now, I'm afraid that if I say I want to push back on attending graduate school I might have to re-apply.  

• 3 weeks later...

How is everyone doing?  I have thirty nine days before my first day of class.  I am busy doing nothing really but thinking about all I need to do.  Hhhmmm, this is not looking like a recipe for success. 

I am definitely in this category; I just finished my BA in May @ 52, and will be starting on my MLIS in September.  It was difficult fitting in with the younger crowd while an undergrad (and have some very interesting stories to tell about that), but I noticed at my graduation ceremony, that a good percentage of the graduating MLIS students were within 10 years of my age, so hopefully fitting in with my new classmates will be a bit easier for the next 3 years. I will be a bit more certain of the age differences in a few weeks, after the grad student orientation in mid August.

I haven’t made up my mind yet about continuing in a doctoral program after the MLIS is completed, I am leaning towards it, as I have a definite idea about teaching sometime in the future, but I am somewhat concerned about the time investment that will be required.

avflinsch

I do understand your concerns about pursuing your doctorate.  I too would love to continue on but I think I need to get my masters underway first and then decide, how best I'm going to proceed after the three years is done. 

• 4 weeks later...

Nice to see this thread! I'm 29 and halfway through my masters program. If accepted into a PhD program for next year, I'll be 30 when I start. I spent 10 years working on my undergrad degree (did a lot of major changing, withdrew from a few semesters because of stuff happening, and otherwise didn't know what I wanted to do for 7 years when I finally found the perfect major and finished it up in 3), so I slowly became older than my peers. It was a little weird at times, because every time I made a drastic major change (like going from Computer Forensics to Anthropology), I had to start over with freshman-level classes and sit alongside 18-year-olds. When I finally found what I was looking for, I was 25 and taking General Biology with students 7 years younger than me... however the school I chose had a lot of non-traditional students, so my courses were dotted with other older students (including some that were quite a bit older than me). Lucky for me, I don't look my age. When I arrived at my masters program, I had classes that were mixed with undergrads, so I once again felt old. However, pretty much everyone assumed I was about 23 instead of 28. I remember being on a trip and talking about my thesis to some undergrads and mentioned my long quest for a bachelors degree, and they were shocked at my age.

But alas, I will not look youthful forever. I don't feel too bad being 30 and starting a PhD in terms of how my age compares to those in my cohort. I'm not that much older, and as is proven by this thread, there are others out there starting graduate degrees later in life. However, I do feel a bit poorly about the fact that I will be anywhere from 33 to 35 when I'm done. Not that I'll be that much older, but I recently got married and I'd like to start a family in the future. This is a situation where men have an advantage... if I decide to have any children while pursuing the PhD, I will certainly have issues with coursework and research while pregnant (at least towards the end of the pregnancy) and then for several months afterwards. I keep telling my husband he'll have to be a stay-at-home dad, but realistically, some things have to be done by me (like breastfeeding). The other option of course is to wait until I'm finished... but the biological clock is ticking, and if I want to do something like a post-doc, I'll end up having to wait until that is finished, too.

Had I finished my B.S. in four years, I would likely be done with my PhD by now and wouldn't have to worry quite so much. But whatever! I suppose I'll figure it out as I go.

I'm glad I saw this post.  I'm 44 and retiring from the Air Force in two years which will put me at 46 when I submit my applications.  I'm glad I'm not the only older person going through this.  Has anyone received any negative feedback when applying at an older age?

Quite the contrary, being out in the real world, working in the private sector, has if anything given me a lot of "street cred" when it comes to professional expectations of me.  I am seen as someone with time management experience, maturity, and the ability to prioritize.  It helps that I've worked a wide variety of different types of jobs over the years, and I think that experience has helped me apply my academics to real situations (or propose real applications in papers).

Good luck!

I am 34 with four children who are all above ten years of age. I got rejected from all schools I applied to this year. I worked so hard and still I didn't make it.. Probably it wasn't enough. By the next year round obviously I would have lost one year that could have been used for graduate study.. seeing people like me here is kind of relieving. But yes going through the admission cycle all over again is stressful... Should I just give up... ?? 

nonononono.  I tried twice.  First year was brutal with the rejections.  Second year, I was better prepared, I think.  In my opinion, the most important components of an application are your letters of recommendation, and good rapport with potential advisors (interactive statement of purpose - work with the faculty you want to craft the right letter).  Of course, choosing the right institution with the right faculty is a great prep step.

So glad to see this thread still going...I just began a doctoral program at 40. Orientation was brutal--for me, anyway. Looking out and seeing about 300 faces around 20 years younger was a reminder that it has taken me a lot longer to 1. figure out how to do what I want to do and 2. be in a place in life where I can actually do that. Then again, I look back to who I was when I was just out of undergrad--a mess. And I realize that now is the time for me--I probably would have screwed it up then if given the chance. Hopefully the members of my cohort won't call me mom. ;)

Would love to hear others' experiences with being older grad students!

Edited by jelizamor

Yes--good luck. Personally, I don't look at it as starting over, exactly, just changing routes a bit on the journey. Of course, when I met the other new graduate students, I realized that they had gotten a lot farther in a lot less time. That was harsh. Plus they look like babies to me--hard to take them seriously. But then I remember being in grad school at their age (the first time) and feeling like people were thinking that about ME. But I was a baby--maturity wise. I didn't fully appreciate grad school the first go round. Feels kind of awkward. It's like I went back in time without looking or feeling younger, though.

Yes--good luck. Personally, I don't look at it as starting over, exactly, just changing routes a bit on the journey. Of course, when I met the other new graduate students, I realized that they had gotten a lot farther in a lot less time. That was harsh. Plus they look like babies to me--hard to take them seriously. But then I remember being in grad school at their age (the first time) and feeling like people were thinking that about ME. But I was a baby--maturity wise. I didn't fully appreciate grad school the first go round. Feels kind of awkward. It's like I went back in time without looking or feeling younger, though.

I love your explanation of changing routes on the journey.  I'm learning not to compare my journey to another's as we are all on our own path and have different lessons to learn while we are here on earth.    Best of luck to you and hoping this time around your time in grad school is all you hoped it to be and more. 

Oh, thank goodness for this thread.  I just joined the site and am trying to make my way down the journey towards grad school.  I'm 40 and contemplating going back to school after 10 years away from school (did get a B.A.), and am slightly terrified at the prospect.  If money wasn't a problem, I could see myself enjoying school, but at this point both the applying part and the whole 'why am I doing this' part is overwhelming me.  I just can't seem to find work in my field anymore, and I'm too old to 'intern' at places, so this is part of the reason I'm thinking about grad school.  I did love studying although my grads were a solid B - so I don't even know if I'll be able to get into any place, and the idea of standing up and defending a thesis seems beyond me right now.  Focusing in on one topic seems impossible, but I'm hoping as I go down this road it will become less scary.  If anyone knows of any great resources (books, scholarships, tips, meetups) specifically for older students, please let me know.

Oh, thank goodness for this thread.  I just joined the site and am trying to make my way down the journey towards grad school.  I'm 40 and contemplating going back to school after 10 years away from school (did get a B.A.), and am slightly terrified at the prospect.  If money wasn't a problem, I could see myself enjoying school, but at this point both the applying part and the whole 'why am I doing this' part is overwhelming me.  I just can't seem to find work in my field anymore, and I'm too old to 'intern' at places, so this is part of the reason I'm thinking about grad school.  I did love studying although my grads were a solid B - so I don't even know if I'll be able to get into any place, and the idea of standing up and defending a thesis seems beyond me right now.  Focusing in on one topic seems impossible, but I'm hoping as I go down this road it will become less scary.  If anyone knows of any great resources (books, scholarships, tips, meetups) specifically for older students, please let me know.

Yes, I would like to know as well. Basically, the best remedy for me has been just to forget (or try) how much older I am than the other students while avoiding saying things that draw attention to my age like a lot of people who feel self conscious about their age do. That will, I think, only widen the gap and thus distract from my goals in the program. Plus, when I think about how I feel rather than how long I have been on Earth, it isn't hard to open the mind. With that said, I am very wary of coming across as some immature dope who tries to hang around with people 10+ years younger. Does this make sense?

I use www.valorebooks.com

and

www.betterworldbooks.com

They both have provided me many books under $5.00 :)

So, I had my first class last night.

19 students in my cohort, age ranges from 25 to 50.  Varied backgrounds and experiences, that I believe will be rich for our studies together.

So far, I love it.  My professor goes by first name basis. And refers to us as colleagues instead of students.  This is a whole new ballgame in comparison to undergrad, but I excited about the differences.

So I am not sure if I'm really considered an older student per se.. I'm 7 days shy of being 27 but I've always been beyond my years (or so I've been told). I just finished my second BS this past May and I was definitely one of the oldest of the student body there. I'm looking into graduate programs for Fall 2015 (hopefully). In some ways, I feel like the "odd one out" because some of my peers from my first college went straight into graduate school and now are working full time in their field. And then the other half of my peers from my 2nd college are just setting foot in the the real world post college. And here I am, in between both worlds. Sometimes I wish I could turn around and redo it, other times I like that I have had my own unique path. To those of you pursuing graduate studies while having a family, HUGE kudos to you. I have huge amounts of respect for those of you who fit that category! 

Edited by wildlifer

Had my first class Tuesday night, large class, about 40 of us ranging from mid 20's to mid 50's - so I am NOT the oldest -- second oldest  maybe -- but not the oldest.

When you are that much older than the others in the class there is another way to look at things. I was the oldest in my undergrad class & I sort of enjoyed it. Most of the other students were more traditionally aged - about the same age as my oldest kids. I think it gave me a better understanding of what my son & daughter were about. In fact I took a few classes that some of my daughter's friends were in. I didn't get a chance to take a class with my daughter (we are at the same school), we almost did in my final semester, but she couldn't work the course into her schedule.

Yes, I would like to know as well. Basically, the best remedy for me has been just to forget (or try) how much older I am than the other students while avoiding saying things that draw attention to my age like a lot of people who feel self conscious about their age do. That will, I think, only widen the gap and thus distract from my goals in the program. Plus, when I think about how I feel rather than how long I have been on Earth, it isn't hard to open the mind. With that said, I am very wary of coming across as some immature dope who tries to hang around with people 10+ years younger. Does this make sense?

Makes total sense - although the good part is with grad school, often there ARE people who've had a gap between undergrad and working.  I"m trying not to focus on a 15 year gap, or how old I feel, and instead on why I'm doing this - like to ensure I have work in the future.

Right now, the main struggle is paying for it.  The other parts are difficult, but I can work on applying, thinking of topics to study, changing my life to accomodate schooling.  The money part is over my head... completely lost and stressed out.  Even exploring scholarships is overwhelming.  The schools I'm looking at are at a minimum $40K in debt for 2 years, and I don't even see where I'd have money to live on let alone rent.  I know they don't expect it all repaid overnight, but I'm feeling so lost at this point, I don't know where to begin to sort it all out.

Makes total sense - although the good part is with grad school, often there ARE people who've had a gap between undergrad and working.  I"m trying not to focus on a 15 year gap, or how old I feel, and instead on why I'm doing this - like to ensure I have work in the future.

Right now, the main struggle is paying for it.  The other parts are difficult, but I can work on applying, thinking of topics to study, changing my life to accomodate schooling.  The money part is over my head... completely lost and stressed out.  Even exploring scholarships is overwhelming.  The schools I'm looking at are at a minimum $40K in debt for 2 years, and I don't even see where I'd have money to live on let alone rent.  I know they don't expect it all repaid overnight, but I'm feeling so lost at this point, I don't know where to begin to sort it all out.

Hi--so you are beginning the application stage? If so, look at schools that will pay you to go. That was the best advice about grad school I ever received: Don't go if they won't pay.

And yes, I need to try not to be distracted by the age thing. This is, after all, a career move and not a social move. But they are sort of linked in my field.