UCLA... is slowly driving me insane

mjameson83

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

Thank god I found this forum - now I know there are other sad souls in limbo like me...

I also get an error message when trying to check the status of my application. I cant take this anymore - I've only applied to 2 places - UCLA and USC. Got wait-listed at USC and I just have a bad feeling about UCLA. Oh sweet baby jesus - put me out of my misery!!

Someone mentioned that they know of others who were already accepted - might those have been the applicants who applied BEFORE the December deadline? I hope so...

If anyone gets a decision, please post! I'll do the same as soon as I find out I've been rejected!

Hello,

might those have been the applicants who applied BEFORE the December deadline? I hope so...

If anyone gets a decision, please post! I'll do the same as soon as I find out I've been rejected!

I don't think so. I haven't heard yet and I applied before the December 15th deadline. I get the feeling it is an unofficial waiting list.

We'll see what today's mail holds!!

I guess no news today either. Can you still log in through the MSW site and see your application status? https://www.sppsr.ucla.edu/application/default_ssl.cfm

It tells me there is an error with my request. I was so hoping it would be updated with some news.

Unless Social Welfare does things differently from the other departments in the School of Public Affairs, that site won't contain any information about your admissions decision. You'll eventually receive an update on the Graduate Division site instead and an e-mail from UCLA directing you to check the site. (Since I'm not in Social Welfare, I don't know how and when the department will contact you directly.)

hobopajamas, it's theoretically possible to get rejected by the Graduate Division, but I get the sense from talking to staff that it rarely happens -- if it even does at all. As far as I know, it's only an issue if you don't meet the university-wide minimum standards for admission, but the departments are aware of this and will request an exception only in cases where they're confident they'll get one.

I still haven't heard either (I applied to the Moving Image Archive Studies program). I emailed the program coordinator and was told that my "application is still pending." and that he would let me know when that changes. What the heck does that mean? At this point I am just assuming that I either didn't get in, or didn't get funding. Is there a difference between a pending application and one that is being reviewed? When/is it okay to ask about my application again?

I still haven't heard either (I applied to the Moving Image Archive Studies program). I emailed the program coordinator and was told that my "application is still pending." and that he would let me know when that changes. What the heck does that mean? At this point I am just assuming that I either didn't get in, or didn't get funding. Is there a difference between a pending application and one that is being reviewed? When/is it okay to ask about my application again?

I applied to that program too, and I haven't heard a thing from them! It's getting ridiculous, at this point I am just assuming I didn't get in.

Did you apply to any other film preservation programs? I applied to The Selznick School, and have also not heard back from them...

UCLA was the only school I applied to, and if I hadn't emailed the program coordinator, I would have heard absolutely nothing. I wish he could have at least told me when to expect some kind of response. It makes me feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one who hasn't heard anything though!

Still sad and waiting. I have a class in the social welfare building so I went upstairs to check on status. The frontdesk person went to check with the admissions officer, but he was busy with a student. She said that all we can do is wait or call Lance Fooks. This is just depressing...because I know other people have been accepted. I'm probably teetering on the edge of rejection...as they probably called all the top candidates first...i'm probably just a leftover...

I wonder if it helps to leave phone messages? Will they get so sick of me that they actually turn my potential acceptance into a rejection? Or will my persistence impress them so that they might change my potential rejection to acceptance?

I wonder if it helps to leave phone messages? Will they get so sick of me that they actually turn my potential acceptance into a rejection? Or will my persistence impress them so that they might change my potential rejection to acceptance?

i have NO idea whether leaving messages for them is a good thing or not? i left a voicemail for lance on friday afternoon and have received no response in any way. i, too, am very sad/frustrated by how LONG this is taking them. i thought we'd have to hear for sure by today but now im not feeling so confident. i dont want to keep bugging them either... but cant they just TELL us? it's sooo maddening and it definitely makes me feel like those of us who havent heard yet are just rejection letter afterthoughts. :(

Hey everyone. I still haven't heard either, although I keep re-reading the initial e-mail they sent once they had received my electronic application: mid-February through the end of April for decisions. Best wishes to everyone!

Hi everyone. Still waiting to hear from UCLA's MLIS program. I am considering e-mailing them just to see if they have any updates, but I'm not sure if I should as I don't know if it will be seen as annoying and pushy or as taking initiative and a good thing. Has anyone e-mailed or called them this year and then been accepted? What is the best way to inquire about admissions decisions? I know this probably seems kind of silly, but I just want to do the right thing and try to avoid making mistakes. Thank you everyone who's posted; it really is a huge help! Also, has anyone else had any updates from UCLA since last week? I saw on the website posted below that decisions can go through the end of May, but I'm not sure if that's the most current information. I know some of the dates there were from a few years back.

http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/oss/faqadv.html#anchor6

I called on Friday to the Department office (I also applied to the MLIS program). She said that she was trying to make it through the stack of applications. When I asked her if she could tell me anything definite, she gave an awkward laugh and said no, that I will just have to wait. UCLA is kind of my last hope--it was my number one, and I've been rejected everywhere else. So I was kind of hoping to know by now. Maybe an e-mail might have better results.

Good luck to all of you!

Im also STILL waiting. I've called & left a few messages last week and of course, I havent heard back. They must have an overwhelming amount of applications; with times as tough as they are, I'm guessing that there'll be an increase in people returning to school to obtain MA's, PHds, to stay competitive in the job market. UCLA is prestigious and still more reasonable cost-wise than say, USC or other private universities, so I'm also guessing that for this reason they may have a wind-fall of applicants. I heard that USC had an "overwhelming amount of qualified applicants" (in the social work dept)so I can only imagine that UCLA would have even more. I'm really down in the dumps right about now - i know my chances arent good...

Good luck to the rest of you..

I heard from someone who knows a professor at UCLA that they just finished undergrad apps in the middle of April and that that professor's particular department was also still going through grad apps. So I guess this is kind of "normal" for UCLA this year...

I was ACCEPTED!! The email was sent to me at midnight, but I didnt know about it until I checked my email this morning. UCLA was my first choice - I'm so happy. Now I just have to get through this dreaded stats class...

YAY!!!!!

Congratulations! That must be a relief! Stats class will seem like a piece of cake to the waiting, I'm sure. :lol:

I was ACCEPTED!! The email was sent to me at midnight, but I didnt know about it until I checked my email this morning. UCLA was my first choice - I'm so happy. Now I just have to get through this dreaded stats class...

YAY!!!!!

Congratulations! :)

YAY!!!!!

Congrats, flowerchicken! I'm also accepted at UCLA and also will be suffering through the dreaded stats class this summer. Why, oh why, did I bomb stats as an undergrad? Oh yeah, because I was a journalism major. :)