Jump to content

PhD applications for 2014 chit chat...


Recommended Posts

Hey fidem520,

I would highly suggest emailing them at this point. I have heard from a number of sources that the initial offers have been already made and those on the waitlist have been informed. I interviewed as well and have been put on the waitlist. With that said, is anyone that got an offer from Emory thinking about rejecting?

Thanks for the info. I may reach out by the end of the week if I don't hear anything. I'm wondering if it depends on the course of study, I'm in historical studies-not sure if that matters.

Edited by fidem520
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Comic sans?!?!

I was just accepted to Wycliffe in Toronto. It says finances are given by the individual colleges in one of the PDFs they sent. I guess we will have to wait and see on those.   After getting rejecte

Was there anyone who was invited to Emory's GDR interview weekend that hasn't heard back yet? I'm still waiting, and nothing-not sure if I should inquire...

Yes, me!  So I emailed and was told the process is "ongoing," and that initial offers have been made.  The area faculty, apparently, don't get to decide if a second round of offers get sent; that's the Admissions Dept's job. So, reading between the lines, they offered the two spots and will see if the accepted students accept the offer.  If they don't accept the offer, it is not clear that s second round of offers will be made. I think I call this an unofficial wait list. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Cecilia22,

What course of study did you apply for at Emory? I was told by the chair of the WSAR course of study that I have been put on the waitlist. I have also been told that if second round decisions are made, they will come out mid-March or the second week of April. I guess all we can do is wait... And perhaps hope those that were offered a spot can make a quick decision. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So... I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've received one acceptance so far and one rejection, still waiting to hear on 8 other schools but judging by what others have heard, I'm probably rejected (or at least not accepted in first round of offers) by at least 3 of those others. The school I've been accepted at requires me to respond by Feb. 24th, which seems really early to me. Does anyone have experience with accepting an offer and then retracting that acceptance if a more appealing offer comes in later? I've emailed the school to find out the consequences but haven't heard back and time is running out. I know no one can speak to the specifics of this school, but has anyone had a similar experience? What happened? Thanks gang :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
 

So... I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've received one acceptance so far and one rejection, still waiting to hear on 8 other schools but judging by what others have heard, I'm probably rejected (or at least not accepted in first round of offers) by at least 3 of those others. The school I've been accepted at requires me to respond by Feb. 24th, which seems really early to me. Does anyone have experience with accepting an offer and then retracting that acceptance if a more appealing offer comes in later? I've emailed the school to find out the consequences but haven't heard back and time is running out. I know no one can speak to the specifics of this school, but has anyone had a similar experience? What happened? Thanks gang  :)

 

 

It's not like they're going to call the cops. 

Edited by Body Politics
Link to post
Share on other sites

You sent them an email asking what they will do if you back out of your acceptance of their offer?

Yes. I know it may seem odd... but they're not going to "retract" their offer. They are grown-ups and I'm sure they understand that applicants are often in such situations. I tried my best to phrase it diplomatically. And... I haven't accepted the offer yet. I think I have the right to know if I will be subject to any consequences (e.g. if I have to put a deposit down and lose it, or if it will mean I can't apply to the program again in later years, or some other random consequence I can't think of). It was not something I wanted to ask because it is awkward but given the required early deadline, I thought being equipped with all relevant information was important. Kuriakos, do you think there might be negative consequences to having sent this email?

 

 

 

 
 

 

It's not like they're going to call the cops. 

 

True dat... haha, thanks!

 

 

For those keeping score at home, Yale will announce tomorrow.

Good to know! That makes me nervous!! I wonder if all subfields did interviews? I know there were a few posted. Anyone happen to know? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a similar situation the year I was accepted. I think it's fine if you're just honest with them. Tell them you haven't heard back from everybody, and you want to make sure you understand all of your options before you make any final decisions. Tell them they they're very high on your list of course (i.e., you're not waitlisting them), and then perhaps ask for an extension. That's what I did and the school was very understanding and let me have the extra time to decide. All of that is to say, I'd advise against accepting the offer with the possibility of retracting it. Instead, ask for an extension.

 

So... I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've received one acceptance so far and one rejection, still waiting to hear on 8 other schools but judging by what others have heard, I'm probably rejected (or at least not accepted in first round of offers) by at least 3 of those others. The school I've been accepted at requires me to respond by Feb. 24th, which seems really early to me. Does anyone have experience with accepting an offer and then retracting that acceptance if a more appealing offer comes in later? I've emailed the school to find out the consequences but haven't heard back and time is running out. I know no one can speak to the specifics of this school, but has anyone had a similar experience? What happened? Thanks gang :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Joseph45. That's great advice! I hadn't thought of asking for an extension. I always feel like the school's decisions are set in stone. Good idea.

 I remember feeling the exact same way when somebody recommended that to me. "Wait, I can do that?!!" I can't promise that it'll work for you, but it was great advice for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know when the DPhil funding decisions at Oxford are informed to the applicants?

Have you gotten a notification of acceptance or rejection? I'm still waiting on that myself.

 

The closest thing to a timetable I saw was late-March (http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/postgraduate_courses/apply/outcomes_of_your_application/). Good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites

For those still waiting to hear from Fordham- I gave them a call today. they told me results for Theology would be out in the next couple of days via email. Anxiety has now taken hold of my weekend and all of next week. Praying for an acceptance and good things for everyone!

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, my top choice, which flew me out (several thousand miles) for the interview weekend, informed that all of their senior faculty will be on leave next year so they decided to accept no one. But I was in the top three.  Is this a "Rejection"? Or an "Other"?

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, my top choice, which flew me out (several thousand miles) for the interview weekend, informed that all of their senior faculty will be on leave next year so they decided to accept no one. But I was in the top three.  Is this a "Rejection"? Or an "Other"?

 

Wow... I'm so sorry! That's so frustrating. Safe to say that is an "other" IMO...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.