Jump to content
ProfMoriarty

Where are you applying for 2014?

Recommended Posts

So stressed about this whole process! I closed my eyes after the last application was submitted in January, and wasn't expecting to hear anything until March, though February seems to have been the month of news... Hope to have idea of viable choices by the end of this week!

Tell me about it... Have you heard anything from UIUC yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to all those accepted to University of Washington! I got a rejection this morning.. very disappointed but also determined to get it right. I appreciate all the support everyone on this forum has offered in one way or another, and wish everyone the best going forward! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only Geography program I've applied to this cycle is the University of Calgary. It's my top choice, I'm crossing my fingers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow did you guys see the latest post about OSU on the result page? Terrible.

 

Yes, that was the first thing I saw when I woke up this morning, and it totally freaked me out. I doubt that they had promised to give her a fellowship, though. And why would somebody turn down other offers before actually having the offer letter in hand (unless they were obliged to do so due to a deadline, of course)?

 

P.S. That wasn't my SO who wrote that post :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If all of what OSU-poster said is true, that is very suspicious behavior for a potential adviser.  I have never heard of an academic asking a student to turn down all her other offers with a confirmed appointment.  That is why, I do not think it all went down like that- must be some miscommunication on the students part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that was the first thing I saw when I woke up this morning, and it totally freaked me out. I doubt that they had promised to give her a fellowship, though. And why would somebody turn down other offers before actually having the offer letter in hand (unless they were obliged to do so due to a deadline, of course)?

 

P.S. That wasn't my SO who wrote that post :lol:

This.  I've alluded before that I sort of have an in at the OSU department.  I'd be interested to hear names to confirm what happened.  I was in the room when fellowships were released and I highly doubt anybody was promised anything.  If somebody rejected other programs without something in writing, I'd find it hard to be sympathetic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I doubt it was as bad as he described... And why would you reject other offers this early anyway?! I thought most schools don't have their acceptance deadline up before April?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on U of Arizona and UIUC - what is taking you so long..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is everyone doing? I am still waiting for funding decision from Wisconsin... I guess I'll shoot my POI an email later today. How about you & your funding situation at Ohio State, pohks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrible.

 

UNC rejection came in this morning. That was the last of the US schools I applied to. Now all my hopes are set on Oxford, which is a really long shot (still waiting to hear back from Melbourne's Master of the Environment program, but I don't really want to go there).

 

I guess I can declare this application season over and unsuccessful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry to hear that, paolaplease. Hoping things will go well for you with Oxford! And as far as I remember, you are on the waitlist for Minnesota, right? Keeping my fingers crossed for that too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paolaplease, sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll receive good news from Oxford soon! And, as obviousbicycle asked, aren't you still wait listed at Minnesota?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Contacted my POI at UW last night to touch base about funding... He told me that he won't know more about his grant status until late in the semester (which I guess end of April or May?). What makes it tricky is that I have to respond to Oregon's offer by April 15. He also recommends me to go with the offers with guaranteed funding instead of the one without. Gahhhh

On a different note, woah so many UCSB rejections :o

Edited by obviousbicycle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Contacted my POI at UW last night to touch base about funding... He told me that he won't know more about his grant status until late in the semester (which I guess end of April or May?). What makes it tricky is that I have to respond to Oregon's offer by April 15. He also recommends me to go with the offers with guaranteed funding instead of the one without. Gahhhh

On a different note, woah so many UCSB rejections :o

Any word on PSU funding?  I know the email said that it is based on either turn-downs or grants being funded but am curious if you have heard any more recent news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they are waiting on NSF funding, those weren't due until mid-February and results are usually announced right around three months later. I would agree with obviousbicycle's POI and take a funded offer if you have one on April 15th. Until then, hold tight and wait and see what happens. It's possible too that someone with departmental funding gets the GRFP and frees up a funding line. I know we have people waiting on that here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any word on PSU funding?  I know the email said that it is based on either turn-downs or grants being funded but am curious if you have heard any more recent news.

 

I was wondering the same thing. Has anyone reached out to the Dept, DGS, or a POI to ask about funding or position on the waitlist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any word on PSU funding?  I know the email said that it is based on either turn-downs or grants being funded but am curious if you have heard any more recent news.

 

I was wondering the same thing. Has anyone reached out to the Dept, DGS, or a POI to ask about funding or position on the waitlist?

 

Nope, haven't heard back from them since the day I was notified. I don't expect much from PSU since the email I received doesn't sound very optimistic...

 

"I need to inform you that there are others ahead of you on this waiting list..."

"Regrettably, there is a chance that we will not, in the end, be able to make you a funded offer..."

 

kev0476's email sounds a little more positive than mine. But I think I'll shoot them an email anyway.

 

If they are waiting on NSF funding, those weren't due until mid-February and results are usually announced right around three months later. I would agree with obviousbicycle's POI and take a funded offer if you have one on April 15th. Until then, hold tight and wait and see what happens. It's possible too that someone with departmental funding gets the GRFP and frees up a funding line. I know we have people waiting on that here.

 

I'm not sure what kind of grant my POI is waiting for but he did tell me that while he remains hopeful, there are possibilities that the application will fail, or something along that line.

 

I still have roughly a month to make up my mind though. Hopefully there will be more good news coming as things progress (I am still waiting to hear back from one more school).

Edited by obviousbicycle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A professor at Minnesota emailed me last night, basically telling me not to lose hope of getting off the waitlist and being offered admission. He said he is interested in having someone working Latin America and has offered to co-advise me (should I get an offer, of course), seeing that my POI is already supervising a lot of students.

 

This is pleasant :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A professor at Minnesota emailed me last night, basically telling me not to lose hope of getting off the waitlist and being offered admission. He said he is interested in having someone working Latin America and has offered to co-advise me (should I get an offer, of course), seeing that my POI is already supervising a lot of students.

 

This is pleasant :)

 

That's great, paolaplease! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A professor at Minnesota emailed me last night, basically telling me not to lose hope of getting off the waitlist and being offered admission. He said he is interested in having someone working Latin America and has offered to co-advise me (should I get an offer, of course), seeing that my POI is already supervising a lot of students.

 

This is pleasant :)

That is very exciting!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been waitlisted at Oregon State (PHD), anyone plan on declining their offer?  

Edited by anthony333

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A professor at Minnesota emailed me last night, basically telling me not to lose hope of getting off the waitlist and being offered admission. He said he is interested in having someone working Latin America and has offered to co-advise me (should I get an offer, of course), seeing that my POI is already supervising a lot of students.

 

This is pleasant :)

That is great news, paolaplease!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, haven't heard back from them since the day I was notified. I don't expect much from PSU since the email I received doesn't sound very optimistic...

 

"I need to inform you that there are others ahead of you on this waiting list..."

"Regrettably, there is a chance that we will not, in the end, be able to make you a funded offer..."

 

kev0476's email sounds a little more positive than mine. But I think I'll shoot them an email anyway.

 

 

I'm not sure what kind of grant my POI is waiting for but he did tell me that while he remains hopeful, there are possibilities that the application will fail, or something along that line.

 

I still have roughly a month to make up my mind though. Hopefully there will be more good news coming as things progress (I am still waiting to hear back from one more school).

Granted I am not in Geography at Portland State, but I am in Political Science, finishing my Masters.  I can tell you that there are funding woes all over the school's departments.  Unless you are planning on professor-gotten grants from NSF or something, you can bet that departmental funding is at a bare minimum this year.  The teachers union just authorized a strike.  We don't know if it will happen yet, but it's likely.  Major issues going on at PSU.  Great school though!  And the geography department is amazing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.