Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2014

RetJitter

• 2 weeks later...

Also applying this fall! I understand that interviews come back around the end of december/early January. Then when are most of them scheduled? Febuary and March? I am trying to schedule a trip on March 4th-8th, but I'm afraid it will end up coindicing with interview dates if I get any.

Althonse, it varies by program. One program called me (for molecular bio) in December for a January interview, and then another school called me at the beginning of a week in January to schedule an interview for that very weekend. Most programs complete interviews by the second week in March.

biotechie, thanks! Yeah, it seems like an inopportune time for a trip. I also was looking back at last years thread and noticed that MIT BCS (my current top choice) interviewed the weekend of March 8th. Though, I may just take a risk and schedule it, knowing that I might have to cancel.

Anyone applying abroad to European schools?

From reading this forum, it seems that students generally apply for 5-10 school for PhD.

I have applied to three school so far and it feels like I should apply for more.

Edited by Jungshin

I've reduced my American list to 7.  A friend/colleague at my lab has recommended German programs as the Max Planck institute has just started a Biology of Aging department, so depending on the American schools I may apply to a couple German ones.

I've applied to six so far - not sure if I should apply to a couple more. I've applied to all of the ones I'm most interested in, but there's a couple more I would definitely consider. Would it be overkill to ask my recommenders for a few more letters?

Good luck to everyone! =) 

Hi stmwap,

Thanks! 

- Do you remember when you got your invites to the inteviews? And how - via e-mail, phone call etc? 

- Which ones did you attend?

- How usually interviews go? Is it actually clear for you why some Universities accepted you and some did not? 

- How is the study so far?

- Do you remember when you got your invites to the inteviews? And how - via e-mail, phone call etc? 

I got my first invite to interview on my birthday (December 5th), but I remember this one being unusually early.  The rest came throughout December (~December 14th, 18th, etc.) and early January.

- Which ones did you attend?

I attended seven interviews, which were seven weekends in a row.  It was exhausting and hard because I had to miss a lot of class.

- How usually interviews go? Is it actually clear for you why some Universities accepted you and some did not? 

Okay, so I had some good interviews and some bad interviews.  At each school, they had us interview with some of our faculty interests (these interviews were more laid-back where you just ask questions about the PI's research) and with some of the admissions committee members (these interviews were more intense - my best advice for you is to not sell yourself short and be confident).  

- How is the study so far?

It's a hard adjustment, but I really can't complain.  :)

Hi stmwap, 

How did you know which area you wanted to do research in? 

How was the transition in to a graduate student lifestyle?

Thanks so much!

I was a neuroscience major in undergraduate and I knew which classes I liked and those that I didn't.  I knew I wanted to do something with developmental neurobiology, but I didn't know exactly what (I still don't).  At least for the programs to which I applied, you don't have to know exactly what you want to do, but you should have a plan about which labs in which you want to rotate (and ideally, the research in these labs should be somewhat related).  

My transition to graduate school has a little bit harder than I expected.  The coursework isn't difficult, but coming straight from undergraduate, I wasn't used to spending so much time in the lab.  Also, people in graduate school are generally less social than the people I knew in undergraduate, so I'm a little lonely.   

Hi braaaaaiinnns!

Hi stmwap!

Thanks! 

Yes, gradstudents tend to be self-involved. May be Invitation of those who you like to your birthday party or make-something-up party could help to become closer with someone. Sometimes university activities help. Also guys can play soccer or something. Or tutor undergraduates.

When I studied at a gradschool in the USA (MS degree), I was also a bit shocked. But I thought it was because I was a foreigner. I guess it's a universal thing  :)

Edited by Solnce

Hi stmwap! 

I was wondering if you had any advice on questions to ask in interviews, and questions they are likely to ask you. I'm most interested in trying to figure out who would be a good mentor, and the things I should be on the lookout for. 

Hey stmwap, glad to see you're still around here. How's Duke treating you so far? 

I thought I'd chime in here too. I'm a first year neuroscience student in the PhD program at Emory, and am happy to answer any questions as well.

Hi stmwap! 

I was wondering if you had any advice on questions to ask in interviews, and questions they are likely to ask you. I'm most interested in trying to figure out who would be a good mentor, and the things I should be on the lookout for. 

It's hard to tell who would be a good mentor from one interview.  That's why many programs have students rotate through different labs - to have "trial marriages" between students and potential mentors.  That being said, some questions I asked were: "What is your mentoring style?" "What is the make-up of your lab (how many grad students, how many postdocs, how many lab techs, etc.)?" "What are you looking for in a graduate student?"  

As far as questions they ask you, be prepared to talk about your research, your future goals, and your fit for the program.  

Oops! I just got an email from UCSF notifying me that I didn't upload a transcript before submitting my application. Looks like they have already begun sorting through apps. I'm just glad they let me know instead of throwing my application out. I'm not even sure how I let that slip through the cracks!