Applying for Neuroscience/Neurobiology Ph.D. programs for Fall 2014

RetJitter

Hi, pravnik.

Yes, I'm from Russia.
Where are you from?
"Pravnik" sounds slavic too.

Anyway, I applied to different from you universities. In December there supposed to be something from Emory (only if they choose to invite me). UCLA and University of Texas A&M, College Station send out their invites close to the middle of January. And I don't know the procedure at University of Minnesota. I'm also thinking about applying to some other schools as they have a later deadlines. But it's not for sure.

So we are not in competition.)

Edited by Solnce

PHD:

Umass amherst (Developmental)

Wisconsin University of Madison (Biology of Brain and Behavior)

Stony Brook University (Clinical)

UF (Developmental)

Denver University  (Developmental)

Georgetown University (Neuroscience)

Tulsa University (clinical)

Wayne State University (behavioral and cognitive neuroscience)

Minnesota (Developmental)

Nebraska University Omaha (Developmental)

Oregon University (Developmental)

Hey Emmanuel, I go to UMass for undergrad. Neuro track major! Any questions I can help you answer? 

Does my name sound slavic, i dint know that.

Actually, I am from India.

So we are not in competition.)

U see, I would have been happy if we were in competition, at least that would have helped me know if the particular universities has started sending invites to international students.

Anyway, Good luck with your apps.

MSU began reviewing apps today. First interview invitations go out  Friday 12/13.

I like that they notify you, but I also feel like it's even more torturous when they tell you they are currently looking at your app. I'm not sure if i want Friday to come or not now that I know it'll either be a really good day or a bad day. :/ 

I like that they notify you, but I also feel like it's even more torturous when they tell you they are currently looking at your app. I'm not sure if i want Friday to come or not now that I know it'll either be a really good day or a bad day. :/

I agree. And all the forum is also good and bad. On one hand you know, when you can stop waiting, and on the other - it's an awful feeling to see how other people get into your chosen schools.

A friend of mine in Duke cog neuro says that she got her interview invite in late December (last year).  Fingers crossed that we hear something soon; it's one of my top choices!

Edited by gellert

I wonder if Duke's neurobiology program gets back to you at around the same time. Was your deadline Dec 8?

Yeah, it was.  Results search seems to indicate neurobio gets back to people pretty early.  My friend's deadline was Dec 10 when she heard back late Dec, so it's possible we will hear back even earlier.  (Wishful thinking!)

Yeah, it was.  Results search seems to indicate neurobio gets back to people pretty early.  My friend's deadline was Dec 10 when she heard back late Dec, so it's possible we will hear back even earlier.  (Wishful thinking!)

I'm hoping to hear from programs by the time I head home for break around Dec 20. But there's literally nothing we can do at this point other than wait.

I'm hoping to hear from programs by the time I head home for break around Dec 20. But there's literally nothing we can do at this point other than wait.

I think there's a decent chance of that for neurobio, at least judging by the results search from past years!  Good luck.

Hey, checking in here too. I'm applying to focus in cellular and molecular neuroscience or psychoneuroimmunology. 

I was content to relax and wait, but then I got an email from Michigan State saying they will sent out interview notifications starting Friday the 13th... so I'm back to getting antsy about dates  :)

When have everyone else's programs indicated they make final decisions? My understanding is that it's around the end of March.

Emory Neuroscience is calling for interviews today!

Thanks for letting know. A year ago it was corresponding Saturday and Monday. This year they decided to do it one day earlier. When did you receive your call? (And time zone please).

I'm applying. I have 3 in so far, finishing up 4 more for deadlines on the 15th, and have one that's weirdly not due until mid-January. And I like the lack of competition I have here. Only school I'm applying to that I've seen come up in this thread is John Hopkins.