SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2014-2015

Konstantin

anyone know when they're going to post the results? Last year it was May 31 ... 

I was wondering the same thing. I know that in 2011 and 2012 they were posted in July.

Edited by Konstantin

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could answer the following question I currently have.

I have been award an SSHRC doctoral fellowship for the upcoming school year. I have completely all of the requirements for my previous degree, but am not going to be defending the thesis until either the last week of August or the beginning of September (meaning that all my degree requirements will be done the last week of August or the beginning of September, and I will graduate from the program at the fall convocation). I am still eligible for my award, right? I currently am not sure because, on the Award Holder's Guide B is says: doctoral fellowship award holders most "not be registered simultaneously in any other degree program" and that "If you anticipate that you will not be able to complete all requirements of your previous degree by December 31 of the year in which the fellowship is awarded, you must decline the award. However, you may apply again in the following competition as long as you remain eligible" (The second quotations seems to say that, as long as I have my previous degree requirements done by December, I am still eligible for the award. However, the first one seems to be saying that, if I haven't graduated when I start the PhD program, I am not eligible).

Thanks!

Hi leapingfrog: I think you will be eligible to hold the award, since you are not technically simultaneously registering in another degree program, but completing one before starting the other (and it's ok to have some overlap). I think that in the first condition SSHRC really means to say that you can't be registered in two Ph.D. or 2 M.A. programs at the same time. I know plenty of people who are in your position -- completing their M.A.s in August/early September, beginnign their doctorates and holding SSHRCs.

That's my understanding, hope it helps!

Hey, just following up to see if anyone has heard anything on the waitlist? Or does anyone have any ideas how to find out from SSHRC if there has been any movement on the waitlist?

I got waitlisted for a doctoral award, but I'm not familiar with the process of what might happen next.

Cheers!

Thanks! Waiting is the best part after all! :)

Ugh, tell me about it! While I was successful this year I was waitlisted the year before and never heard anything after the initial notification. Come September I just stopped hoping and refocused my energies on improving my application for this past cycle. Good luck!

leapingfrog I am in a similar situation to you, and the problem I am now facing is that the university where i am accepting my SSHRC award is refusing to fill out the bottom and fax Form 1 Part 2 to SSHRC before they have confirmation that I have finished my Masters degree. It's nonsense because the bottom of this form asks the uni to confirm that the student WILL be unconditionally accepted and enrolled, but my university (and I heard a similar thing from a McGill doctoral student who took up his award two years ago) takes this to mean IS accepted and enrolled, and the university won't proceed with official enrolment until I send them confirmation that I have finished everything in my MA program. So yes, you can have some slight overlap of degree programs, but you might face a block somewhere along the line and not receive any money until your university has confirmation that you have finished your thesis. I have no idea how this works for students not attending a Canadian university. 

Unfortunately all this means that my payment will be delayed now.

And just a friendly reminder to the others on this forum, if you are taking up your award at a Canadian university and have not yet filled out Form 1 Part 2 and sent it to your university to fax to SSHRC -- DO IT NOW. The form has to be received by SSHRC a month before the start date of your award, otherwise your payment will be delayed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My university has instituted a new scholarship payment process that issues lump-sum payments three times a year (once in Fall, Winter, and Summer terms). However, the payment dates are quite inconvenient, with the first one taking place on October 1st (and like you, Nerd_For_Life, my tuition will be deducted from the combination of internal/external scholarship funding).

Has anyone received their payment yet or been notified of a timeline for when they might receive it? I know mine is going first into my student account, then my tuition is deducted and I'll get a cheque for the remainder o.O

My institution also does the three payment thing (Sept., Jan., and May). I just get the lump sums and the uni reminds me that they want the tuition paid by end of April, lest I incur late fees (so, it behooves me to pay the tuition in full between the first two payments).

I got my first lump sum on Thursday (the 4th). Glad you got an update Nerd; hope that you see it hit your account soon!

Oh I'm jealous that you received yours already! I suspect that there is a delay at my university in terms of processing the payment, issuing me a cheque for the remainder, and reflecting all of that in my student account. Unfortunately, my tuition deadline is today so I have to borrow money to make sure it is paid on time and I don't incur late fees ><

• 3 weeks later...