Audiology-gy-gy-gy

pqo309

Yeah, it's totally up to you. Also, it is an accelerated program (3 years instead of 4). So do you see yourself in a 4 year program or a faster paced one?

The 3 year option is actually what attracted me to it in the first place! I'm from Canada and our program is only 2 years so at first the 4 years seemed daunting to me. There is also the question of cost. I think that all in all, 3 years at Pacific would work out to be about the same as 4 years elsewhere.

Have you heard anything? I'm so nervous! I have a friend who's there now and she said they had twice the number of applicants this year than last.

No I haven't yet but I have a friend that is third year that told me the same thing about there being way more applicants this time. Nerve wracking! 

How was the phone interview? I wonder if a phone interview is more relaxed or more stressful lol

Going into it, I was more confident because I have done numerous in-person interviews as an undergrad. However, this phone interview was my first. As soon as it began, I got nervous because I was told I had one minute to answer each question. The questions ranged from personal (getting to know me as a person) to audiology interest. Interviews should not be intimidating as long as you know how to explain yourself and really genuinely want to pursue audiology. The answers will be automatic.

Going into it, I was more confident because I have done numerous in-person interviews as an undergrad. However, this phone interview was my first. As soon as it began, I got nervous because I was told I had one minute to answer each question. The questions ranged from personal (getting to know me as a person) to audiology interest. Interviews should not be intimidating as long as you know how to explain yourself and really genuinely want to pursue audiology. The answers will be automatic.

Thank you, I  this has made me a little less nervous about interviews. I guess it's the unknown that is more scary plus so much is riding on it. 

Here's how the interview in my head goes down...

Them: Why do you want to be an Audiologist?

Me: I'm ridiculously awesome.

Them: Well, alright then no further questions because, "You're in!"

Me: Well, shyucks!

::does post-interview celebration dance::

Here's how the interview in my head goes down...

Them: Why do you want to be an Audiologist?

Me: I'm ridiculously awesome.

Them: Well, alright then no further questions because, "You're in!"

Me: Well, shyucks!

::does post-interview celebration dance::

I wish it was as simple as that! haha

Don't beat yourself to much over the interview process. I spoke with one of the professors that sits on the graduate admissions board and some other professors about the interviews. They are mostly gauging the "normalness" of the individual. Sure someone looks good on paper but so they really have the social capacity to make it within the program and in the future so they are successful. Seriously, they was to see that you are articulate and confident. I asked about questions of knowledge and she said that it's not about what you know but your ability to express your strengths and weaknesses.

Don't beat yourself to much over the interview process. I spoke with one of the professors that sits on the graduate admissions board and some other professors about the interviews. They are mostly gauging the "normalness" of the individual. Sure someone looks good on paper but so they really have the social capacity to make it within the program and in the future so they are successful. Seriously, they was to see that you are articulate and confident. I asked about questions of knowledge and she said that it's not about what you know but your ability to express your strengths and weaknesses.

Completely agree with you! Also, I'm jealous that you're from San Diego. I've heard so many great things about the area. I almost applied to SDSU/UCSD! If you don't mind me asking, how many schools did you apply to?

That program is amazing!! The professors are awesome and are incredibly supportive. I have been so spoiled coming from the undergrad at San Diego State. I am applying to two AuD programs and a few SLP programs. 8 in total. I decided not to apply to the AuD program here because I didn't want to cause a conflict of interest with my applications.

Too bad you didn't apply here! You would have had an amazing time.

That program is amazing!! The professors are awesome and are incredibly supportive. I have been so spoiled coming from the undergrad at San Diego State. I am applying to two AuD programs and a few SLP programs. 8 in total. I decided not to apply to the AuD program here because I didn't want to cause a conflict of interest with my applications.

Too bad you didn't apply here! You would have had an amazing time.

Wow now I really wish I applied there. If for some reason I decide to wait another year, I will definitely look into the program. Do you know if the program is heavily based on research? Or do the faculty provide a good balance between clinical and research audiology?

Also, I'm going crazy with the "waiting game." I don't think I can go another month or so to hear back from schools.

If... You have to wait another year (I doubt you will), I think there's a good combination. The research projects are kinda cool though. You might even have the opportunity to meet Dr. Arthur Boothroyd. By might, I mean you most likely will. Even though he is "retired" he still has a bit of an active role. He is an amazingly smart man.

Just drown yourself in work... That's what I have done. I am getting excited. Good thing February is a short month!!!

If... You have to wait another year (I doubt you will), I think there's a good combination. The research projects are kinda cool though. You might even have the opportunity to meet Dr. Arthur Boothroyd. By might, I mean you most likely will. Even though he is "retired" he still has a bit of an active role. He is an amazingly smart man.

Just drown yourself in work... That's what I have done. I am getting excited. Good thing February is a short month!!!

Thanks for the insight! 

I am trying to occupy myself with work, but this website is on my mind a lot haha. Also, what made you decide to apply for both AuD and SLP?

They both have pros and cons. On the one hand audiology is pretty straight forward and logical. It also came naturally to me. My favorite classes were actually in Audiology. I was tutoring my girlfriends because they were like WTF. Also, I like the idea that I can go back on active duty or work in a VA. Working with the veteran population is my ultimate goal. Hence why SLP is in on the table. I will have the opportunity to have a more personal relationship in the rehabilitation process. A lot of the focus in my undergrad was early development and intervention, once we started hitting the topic of brain injury I was intrigued and excited.

I couldn't decide so I am letting the applications decide for me. There are more SLP programs though because of the program costs...

I picked my dream AuD programs and then SLP programs that had medical tracks or research affiliation with the VA.

Is you undergrad in SLHS or are you coming from another background?

Edited by ImpulsiveNixie

They both have pros and cons. On the one hand audiology is pretty straight forward and logical. It also came naturally to me. My favorite classes were actually in Audiology. I was tutoring my girlfriends because they were like WTF. Also, I like the idea that I can go back on active duty or work in a VA. Working with the veteran population is my ultimate goal. Hence why SLP is in on the table. I will have the opportunity to have a more personal relationship in the rehabilitation process. A lot of the focus in my undergrad was early development and intervention, once we started hitting the topic of brain injury I was intrigued and excited.

I couldn't decide so I am letting the applications decide for me. There are more SLP programs though because of the program costs...

I picked my dream AuD programs and then SLP programs that had medical tracks or research affiliation with the VA.

Is you undergrad in SLHS or are you coming from another background?

Yeah I agree that audiology is more straightforward and logical. I think it is really cool that you want to work with the VA population, it seems to be a growing interest. Well, I hope you get into your dream schools! My undergrad is the same as yours but it is called Communication Sciences and Disorders (CSD). If you got into both programs how would you choose then? If money didn't matter.

Yeah I agree that audiology is more straightforward and logical. I think it is really cool that you want to work with the VA population, it seems to be a growing interest. Well, I hope you get into your dream schools! My undergrad is the same as yours but it is called Communication Sciences and Disorders (CSD). If you got into both programs how would you choose then? If money didn't matter.

My number one is AuD. If I got into the program I would accept in a heartbeat. LOL No questions asked, I would say "Yes and how much much money do I now owe you for the rest of my life." Doubt that is going to happen. So, I am going to let the location take it from there. 

I am so excited that the VA population is getting some attention. Between poor hearing conservation programs (although I don't know if it is the program or the consequences of a nonchalant military member), damaging exposure, and TBI, there are a lot of concerns for the military population and their return home. I truly empathize with their struggles and would like to give back to an organization that gave me so much. 

My number one is AuD. If I got into the program I would accept in a heartbeat. LOL No questions asked, I would say "Yes and how much much money do I now owe you for the rest of my life." Doubt that is going to happen. So, I am going to let the location take it from there. 

I am so excited that the VA population is getting some attention. Between poor hearing conservation programs (although I don't know if it is the program or the consequences of a nonchalant military member), damaging exposure, and TBI, there are a lot of concerns for the military population and their return home. I truly empathize with their struggles and would like to give back to an organization that gave me so much. 

I am also a veteran and veterans are also the population that I am hoping to work with for all of the same reasons that you have mentioned.

I am also a veteran and veterans are also the population that I am hoping to work with for all of the same reasons that you have mentioned.

Sweet! Ya, I am looking into returning AD or the possibilities of going into a VA and buying back my years. Are you using your POST 9/11 or MGIB? I still have 7 months left which is AWESOME because that is 2 semesters paid for. 

Sweet! Ya, I am looking into returning AD or the possibilities of going into a VA and buying back my years. Are you using your POST 9/11 or MGIB? I still have 7 months left which is AWESOME because that is 2 semesters paid for. 

That is awesome! Unfortunately for me neither. I got out in 1997 so I am before 9/11.  I already used up my GI Bill plus it would have already expired. 

Awww... that's a total bummer. There is are still some bonuses to being a veteran though. For example, some states give us in-state tuition: http://www.studentveterans.org/what-we-do/in-state-tuition.html Plus, I have been looking into some scholarships and other opportunities. 

Well it looks like the AuD program is going to be overrun by "our kind" this coming Fall. Awesome. I was so ecstatic the day I found the student vet website. 

My big decision right now is whether or not I should stay in the reserves for graduate school. I would totally be able to remain in service if it wasn't for the chance of a mobilization/deployment. I am scared to take the chance. 

I have a friend in your situation, she is a Junior and her reserves contract is nearing completion. What are the rules regarding deployment during your graduate program? If you can come back and still have your spot, and you want to keep doing the reserves, then I say go for it.