Audiology-gy-gy-gy

pqo309

Good to know!  We are applying to a lot of the same.  Not sure about my top choice.  I have some favorites, but I am somewhat of an atypical applicant (I am finishing my PhD right now) so making sure I go somewhere where I can continue my research and/or teach are important factors for me, as well as funding.  Where exactly that happens is less important... just trying to find a good fit.  Do you have a top choice?

I also don't really have a top choice yet because I haven't seen them all. So far of the schools I've seen I like the program at WashU the best. The program at Chapel Hill was impressive as well but I wasn't expecting such a tiny southern college town(being in Tallahassee is already tough for me!) and it is also very pediatric focused. Also they don't require a research project, and I definitely want to do research. In the next couple weeks I'm visiting Northwestern, Rush, and UT Dallas. I might make plans to visit Northeastern and SDSU. So everything could change! 

I was on the fence about whether to go for the Aud or Phd. Did you know from the beginning you wanted to do both? 

I also don't really have a top choice yet because I haven't seen them all. So far of the schools I've seen I like the program at WashU the best. The program at Chapel Hill was impressive as well but I wasn't expecting such a tiny southern college town(being in Tallahassee is already tough for me!) and it is also very pediatric focused. Also they don't require a research project, and I definitely want to do research. In the next couple weeks I'm visiting Northwestern, Rush, and UT Dallas. I might make plans to visit Northeastern and SDSU. So everything could change! 

I was on the fence about whether to go for the Aud or Phd. Did you know from the beginning you wanted to do both? 

@AudCSL - You should definitely check out Northwestern - I'm glad you are planning a visit!  I went this past Friday, and it was quite impressive.  It's a lot of work, but you get done in 3 years instead of 4 due to the quarters system vs semesters.  The capstone project is completed in the second year and you will conduct a research project with faculty based off what they are currently interested in looking into - there should be an easy match with someone's research interests and your professional interests.  I would honestly prefer more of a literary analysis type of capstone project, but I know how important it will be to understand the research process.  Dr. Riley also had the updated curriculum which is different from what is online, and she made me feel quite comfortable with the courses being taught and the clinical placements.  The website also left me under the impression that you have to stay in the Evanston/Chicago area for the 3rd year externship, which isn't the case - you can go anywhere!  They are also building a brand new clinic right across the street from where it currently is, so there isn't much to see in terms of the clinic but it should be quite nice for the Fall!  Let me know if you have any questions, it's definitely one of my top contenders - now to hear back from everywhere else!

@AudCSL - You should definitely check out Northwestern - I'm glad you are planning a visit!  I went this past Friday, and it was quite impressive.  It's a lot of work, but you get done in 3 years instead of 4 due to the quarters system vs semesters.  The capstone project is completed in the second year and you will conduct a research project with faculty based off what they are currently interested in looking into - there should be an easy match with someone's research interests and your professional interests.  I would honestly prefer more of a literary analysis type of capstone project, but I know how important it will be to understand the research process.  Dr. Riley also had the updated curriculum which is different from what is online, and she made me feel quite comfortable with the courses being taught and the clinical placements.  The website also left me under the impression that you have to stay in the Evanston/Chicago area for the 3rd year externship, which isn't the case - you can go anywhere!  They are also building a brand new clinic right across the street from where it currently is, so there isn't much to see in terms of the clinic but it should be quite nice for the Fall!  Let me know if you have any questions, it's definitely one of my top contenders - now to hear back from everywhere else!

Hey AuDBall, I hope you are right and I like Northwestern as much as you did! I'm excited to learn more about the program. I think I'm going to sit in on one of Dr. Riley's classes. Did you do that?

I didn't receive the acceptance call from WashU like others did today so I am pretty bummed out and feeling down. I know I should be grateful to be accepted to so many schools, but WashU was my first choice and the one I really fell in love with after visiting. I thought it was the perfect fit. I am hoping I feel the same way after I visit Northwestern next week and all will be better :) 

@AudCSL - No, I wish I would have thought to ask if that were a possibility!  Dr. Riley is wonderful and truly cares for her students or "her children" as she kept calling them in my meeting with her.  My main interest is pediatrics, so it was really nice getting her take on things with what she wished she was more prepared in before becoming a pediatric audiologist and what their program has to offer.  If you sit in on a class, be sure to let me know how it was!

@AuDCSL I have not been able to visit all of them either.  I'm waiting on funding offers to see what has real potential first, and then I'll consider more visits.  I liked UNC a lot -- they have some amazing clinical placements (but funding is a concern).  I have heard great things about WashU, but have not visited (and haven't heard from them, although others seem to have gotten calls -- I did email and she said they are still making decisions.. not sure what to make of that).  Northwestern is up there on my list too! As is UMass Amherst. I spoke to someone at SDSU (both one of the faculty and a student actually) during the ARO meeting in San Diego and they both seemed great! (but again, lacking on the funding, and probably ultimately not a good fit for me).

I did know from the beginning that I wanted both. This was the only PhD program I applied to, actually.  The rest were AuD's.  I did it backwards from what most people do, but ultimately it all works out the same, and I got a really strong research training which I wouldn't trade for the world.  I definitely want to do clinic and research.  It's a long haul, but worth it (but, if you have interest in a PhD, definitely look into programs that also offer PhD's because some have dual degree and some let you enter a PhD while you are there and save time and not have to duplicate classwork!)

Folks interviewing at Chapel Hill today--I heard the University (offices and all) are shut down starting at 2 pm due to weather. How did they handle that for your interviews?? 

We finished up on schedule, we just stayed after the closing.  It wasn't too bad :)  They tried to accomadate those who had to travel and pushed a lot of interviews to the morning.  They did a good job of dealing with it!

I have a dilemma! Does anyone know what is appropriate to do in this situation? I was accepted to University of Northern Colorado with funding but was only given until March 24th to accept. The problem being that I have an interview with Pacific University March 22nd and I am going to admitted students day at University of Kansas on March 28th. The deadline of the 24th does not allow me sufficient time to decide. What do I do? Thanks in advance!!

I have a dilemma! Does anyone know what is appropriate to do in this situation? I was accepted to University of Northern Colorado with funding but was only given until March 24th to accept. The problem being that I have an interview with Pacific University March 22nd and I am going to admitted students day at University of Kansas on March 28th. The deadline of the 24th does not allow me sufficient time to decide. What do I do? Thanks in advance!!

I spoke with the admissions director at Pacific University. She told me that the first interview round was yesterday and the second one will be March 22. She said that decisions should be sent out on March 24... would be cutting it close with your decision. I think you should call UNC and ask them for an extension? Or call Pacific to verify when decisions will be sent out. 

Did anyone get funding to Northwestern that is NOT planning on attending?  I REALLY want to go there, but the partial scholarship would be a big factor on my attending - I'm currently on the wait list for funding.  Let me know! :)

Hi, everyone I wanted to ask a question about financial aid. I'm going to get loans to pay for my school but were running into trouble paying for housing. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to find some funds?

Hi, everyone I wanted to ask a question about financial aid. I'm going to get loans to pay for my school but were running into trouble paying for housing. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to find some funds?

In addition to the regular student loans you could see if you are eligible for the Direct Plus Loans.  Or maybe a job on campus? 

Yep same problem here! Can look into the PLUS loans, then if not private loans through your bank (yikes!), or outside scholarships.

It makes me sad that AuD's have to struggle for funding, and PhD's are expected to get funding. But hey, it is what it is :(

Yep same problem here! Can look into the PLUS loans, then if not private loans through your bank (yikes!), or outside scholarships.

It makes me sad that AuD's have to struggle for funding, and PhD's are expected to get funding. But hey, it is what it is :(

I agree it is frustrating, but PhDs and AuDs are very different things, and the funding comes from very different sources.

PhD's do the bulk of research (i.e. work) on federally funded NIH R01 and/or similar grants, and most often that is where their funding comes from.  It trains them, but they are also publishing research, contributing scientifically to the field, etc.  Professional degrees (AuD, MD, OD, JD, etc..) are typically not funded through these means (we aren't doing major research!) and funding has to come from individual departments or schools/universities.  You are better off comparing funding scenarios between AuD's and other professional doctorates, as opposed to AuD vs PhD. 

NIH does have some funding for dual degree AuD/PhD's if you do them in tandem (similar to MD/PhD funding), if you are interested in research!

Additionally, NIH has generous loan repayment programs where if you are doing 20 hours a week of qualified clinical research and have a doctorate (AuD), they will repay a quarter of your loans (up to like 60K a year I think) per year for up to four years!  I know someone who is using his PhD research (that he working on after the AuD) to repay his AuD loans through this program. 

There are also federal loan forgiveness programs that AuDs can fall into, depending on what settings you ultimately work in. 

Edited by intothevertigo

I was wondering what you guys thought how much does name/prestige matter in Audiology. I know it is a big deal for other fields, but not sure about Audiology. And my family has been stressing me about this.

I'm trying to decide between:

A. State school (CUNY/SUNY), instate tuition, little name. Could I be saving money but having a harder time with "good" employment opportunities because of small name?

B. Private school (Rush), more money/debt, bigger name. Could I be wasting my money and sinking in debt to pay for a name?

Thoughts anyone?

I was wondering what you guys thought how much does name/prestige matter in Audiology. I know it is a big deal for other fields, but not sure about Audiology. And my family has been stressing me about this.

A. State school (CUNY/SUNY), instate tuition, little name. Could I be saving money but having a harder time with "good" employment opportunities because of small name?

B. Private school (Rush), more money/debt, bigger name. Could I be wasting my money and sinking in debt to pay for a name?

Thoughts anyone?

Honestly, names are names. Yes, schools that are higher ranked could have more connections, etc. for employment. But, if you look at a program's website and it says 100% job rate, then it is worth going to the school that is less ranked. Personally, I'm choosing a school that is lower ranked because of funding. I'd rather not be in as much debt. It isn't worth it. You just have to weigh out the pros and cons and if funding is important then go with the program that offers more money. You'll figure it out :-)

Almost all the schools report a 100% job rate on their website. It makes me wonder, skeptical even, how many are jobs that quality jobs with good pay and benefits. But I'm sure there are other factors involved.

But, yeah I totally agree! So far I am leaning towards A, despite my family's advice to go for B since I'm the one taking out all the loans. Like you said I'll figure it out hopefully byApril 15th. (Isn't it crazy we will know where we are going for sure in basically month, and this whole process will have come to an end?!)

Almost all the schools report a 100% job rate on their website. It makes me wonder, skeptical even, how many are jobs that quality jobs with good pay and benefits. But I'm sure there are other factors involved.

But, yeah I totally agree! So far I am leaning towards A, despite my family's advice to go for B since I'm the one taking out all the loans. Like you said I'll figure it out hopefully byApril 15th. (Isn't it crazy we will know where we are going for sure in basically month, and this whole process will have come to an end?!)

Yeah that is a valid point regarding quality of jobs. I do think that wherever you go, you'll have good chances of landing jobs in that specific region/area, too. I guess now you just have to pick which program is more fitted for you. And yes, it is crazy how decisions will be made very soon! So exciting  :D

I think you should go for the program that is lesser known with more funding. I purposely selected programs that are cheaper because I do NOT want to be +100K in debt. Of course, I would likely be returning to Canada where perhaps prestige doesn't matter as much. Still, I think that quality of jobs is more dependent on how hard you work (which I know you would! :)) and the connections you make than where you graduate from. Good luck deciding, all of your options are amazing ones! 

Thoughts anyone?

Have you heard anything from CUNY? I plan on attending if accepted because I'm already established in my field (deaf education) and don't want to leave NYC at this point (plus I think my experiences here will be more meaningful than if I move to another city for school alone- and then leave after graduating). I know several people who have completed the program at CUNY and have good things to say/have jobs that interest me now so I'm not worried about the ranking.