Audiology-gy-gy-gy

pqo309

I'm struggling with the same thing. Higher ranked school without funding and lots of loans or lower ranked school that will save me a lot of money. I think I need to break down and budget out the potential costs over the next 4 years and see what it really looks like. The lower ranked school is also in an area with much cheaper cost of living. Don't forget to look at prices of apartments when making this decision!

I'm struggling with the same thing. Higher ranked school without funding and lots of loans or lower ranked school that will save me a lot of money. I think I need to break down and budget out the potential costs over the next 4 years and see what it really looks like. The lower ranked school is also in an area with much cheaper cost of living. Don't forget to look at prices of apartments when making this decision!

SO TRUE about apartment hunting! Also, I contacted current students in the programs I'm interested in and they gave me such detailed responses about their program, what they like, don't like, etc. I really recommend it! It helps make your decision process easier.

I'm looking into apartments further from campuses that seem to be in quieter areas that are also cheaper.  Northwestern is where I keep leaning towards regardless of cost, and looking at places that are a 15-20 minute drive to campus vs. a 10 minute walk are looking very nice.  It also brings the cost down that I should be able to afford a 1BR vs getting a roommate and having a 2BR closer to campus.  Just something to consider when you're comparing costs - it's all personal preference, but we will all be so busy that I think it would be nice to have a place to get AWAY from campus and get a sanity check.

It is all personal preference for sure!

Funny you say that, because I am the complete opposite! lol I much rather pay the difference to live ON campus in a grad dorm with a meal plan. I like the idea of rolling out of bed and going to class, not having to think about buying groceries, not worrying about making rent every month or repairs. The connivence is unmatched!

I think I just got super spoiled to the undergraduate life since I dormed all 3.5 years and loved it. Even if only for the first year of grad school, I think the lack of stress from all those variables that can come up with having an off campus apartment is so valuable. So thats another way to look at it if you got the extra funds. 

Haha, I've lived on campus all 4 years as well.  I lived on campus as a freshman, lived on and worked the front desk as a sophomore, and I've had the joys of free housing and meal plan for the last two years as the Desk Manager of my building (on the RA staff).  It will definitely be a culture shock, but I absolutely love my old roommate's current apartment that is about a 20 minute drive from campus and the fact that it's her "getaway" from being on campus all day.

I've considered living on campus especially since Northwestern has graduate-specific housing options, and it's still up there as an option.  Not having to furnish an apartment or pay utilities would be a huge plus especially since I would be 6 hours from home. I would choose living on campus vs an apartment right off campus not affiliated with the university.  Another great thing is that since you would have a kitchen in graduate housing (assuming), you wouldn't have to purchase a meal plan or maybe a smaller option that has limited meal swipes and the ease of budgeting your own money instead of paying a higher rate.  

Definitely going to be a tough decision, but I keep leaning towards wanting to get a cat as my grad school companion, so that's the issue I'm having with on campus options. :)

@AuDBall I was told that Rogers Park by Northwestern is where a lot of students live!  I looked into a bit -- reasonable costs and close to public transportation to campus.  I don't know what the area is like (I am going out to visit this week) but I thought I would pass along that info! 

@intothevertigo - I have a friend that is at Loyola right now who lives in Rogers Park.  It looks great cost wise and location to campus, but I'm also comparing it to potential clinical placements.  Glenview and Park Ridge were all within a half hour drive of pretty much everywhere I was interested in going during year 2 while Rogers Park was 45 min+ to some places.  So don't forget to consider those locations when looking at living arrangements!

Did anyone get funding to Northwestern that is NOT planning on attending?  I REALLY want to go there, but the partial scholarship would be a big factor on my attending - I'm currently on the wait list for funding.  Let me know! :)

Hello! I got partial funding from northwestern and it was a good amount but it was only for year and then they award scholarships annually after that. I am trying to decide between northwestern and vanderbilt and waiting on vanderbilt a funding information. I will let you know!!!

@intothevertigo - I have a friend that is at Loyola right now who lives in Rogers Park.  It looks great cost wise and location to campus, but I'm also comparing it to potential clinical placements.  Glenview and Park Ridge were all within a half hour drive of pretty much everywhere I was interested in going during year 2 while Rogers Park was 45 min+ to some places.  So don't forget to consider those locations when looking at living arrangements!

My boyfriend's family lives in park ridge and it is know as the second highest taxes in the US and it is really expensive to rent there in general. He said there are some low rent areas but for the most part it is pricey. His brother lives in Edison Park and he is 25 and it is a young area with decent rent if you want somewhere further away from campus. I really enjoy the Edison park area so maybe look into that

I can finally contribute to this forum! I've been accepted to Bloomsburg University in Pennsylvania! I really thought this wouldn't happen for me because it's so much harder applying as an international student. I CANNOT WAIT to go back to school and make my dreams come true!

I can finally contribute to this forum! I've been accepted to Bloomsburg University in Pennsylvania! I really thought this wouldn't happen for me because it's so much harder applying as an international student. I CANNOT WAIT to go back to school and make my dreams come true!

Congrats! That is super exciting! I'm getting nervous for my interview with Pacific this weekend :/

YESSSS! I AM SUPER EXCITED FOR YOU!! Knew it would happen! :)

Thank you so much, deci:belle and DenverGirl! I was also accepted into UBC in Canada this afternoon :). I NEVER imagined I would EVER have this decision to make. It just goes to show, never lose hope!

DenverGirl, good luck on your interview this weekend! Just go in relaxed and confident that you've already got it. I know that's easier said than done, though :)

Did anyone go to the Rush open house? How was it?!

Yes, I did. They really put on a fantastic open house. They had a ton of faculty members meet with us to tell us about specific parts of the program, and a bunch of students as well. They gave us tours of the labs, the clinic, and other areas in the program. Everything seemed really nice, new, and impressive. We had a great lunch where we were joined by even more faculty and students. Everyone was so nice and helpful. At the end of the day, those who were interested went to look at the student apartments right across the street where many of the 1st years and some of the 2nd years live. They had studios, one bedrooms, and two bedrooms. They were all much larger and WAY less than half the cost of my converted one bedroom in NYC last year! Overall it was a great day and great program. I'm still waiting to hear about any funding which would heavily influence my decision. Let me know if you have any specific questions! One thing that I really like about the program is that you get a much more diverse range of clinical experiences since you are at a hospital in the middle of Chicago. I visited Northwestern the day before and they only see a handful of patients per day in the entire clinic. Rush offers everything in the scope of Audiology. The only thing they do not do, yet, is pediatric cochlear implants. 

Thank you so much, deci:belle and DenverGirl! I was also accepted into UBC in Canada this afternoon :). I NEVER imagined I would EVER have this decision to make. It just goes to show, never lose hope!

DenverGirl, good luck on your interview this weekend! Just go in relaxed and confident that you've already got it. I know that's easier said than done, though :)

Woo hoo!! Congrats DeafAudi. Good luck with your decision :)

Wow, thank you AuDCSL for the great info. I wish I could have went, sounds lovely!

The office of Financial Aid sent their package, you got that right? It was all loans lol. You think the department itself will award scholarships and assistantships?

Wow, thank you AuDCSL for the great info. I wish I could have went, sounds lovely!

The office of Financial Aid sent their package, you got that right? It was all loans lol. You think the department itself will award scholarships and assistantships?

They said they would send out an email with scholarship info separate from the one with the loans, but I did not receive anything :-/ I emailed tonight to ask if everything was already sent out. The faculty there seem really great and responsive so hopefully I hear back soon. I also didn't get an email with loan stuff but I submitted the institutional aid form just a few days ago. It's so hard to choose between these super expensive programs when schools like UT-Dallas, Arizona, and San Diego are literally 40K less. I'm sure you have the same hard decisions! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, sorry to start a new topic here, but I was wondering if there is anyone who got accepted to Gallaudet and won't be attending.  I am waitlisted there and I have gotten rejected from every other school I have applied to.  I would really appreciate any response :)

Good luck out there