Grad School after Undergrad — Logistics

accordingtowhat

Hi to all —

I was wondering if anyone who entered an MA and/or PhD program for art history directly after their final year of undergrad could give me some insight. It's a bit unclear to me on how this works out logistically. For example, if I'll be in the midst of writing my Senior Thesis around the time of application deadlines, I assume this poses a problem for the writing sample? Unless I were to finish the thesis in advance or have an early draft ready to submit? Likewise, I wouldn't be able to provide my final semester of grades, but I assume this is more understandable. If anyone could help with some sort of timeline for balancing these senior year obligations with the GRE/SOP/Writing Sample/Contacting POI's/etc., ideally from personal experience if possible, it would be extremely helpful (and appreciated!). I know, of course, that entering to an MA/PhD directly from undergrad is far, far away from being an easy task, but I figure it's worth a shot. Thanks in advance!

Your thesis would be too long anyways, chances are. Find another writing sample, or if your thesis is several chapters, write the first chapter with the sample in mind. Your final grades wouldn't matter. As long as you graduate before starting the program (if accepted), your final grades will not matter.

I'm in religion, which is basically impossible to transition straight from undergrad unless you come from a top 20. I know some of the other humanities folks on here do go straight from undergrad, viz. philosophy, so who knows. 

Anyways, good luck.

Hi to all —

I was wondering if anyone who entered an MA and/or PhD program for art history directly after their final year of undergrad could give me some insight. It's a bit unclear to me on how this works out logistically. For example, if I'll be in the midst of writing my Senior Thesis around the time of application deadlines, I assume this poses a problem for the writing sample? Unless I were to finish the thesis in advance or have an early draft ready to submit? Likewise, I wouldn't be able to provide my final semester of grades, but I assume this is more understandable. If anyone could help with some sort of timeline for balancing these senior year obligations with the GRE/SOP/Writing Sample/Contacting POI's/etc., ideally from personal experience if possible, it would be extremely helpful (and appreciated!). I know, of course, that entering to an MA/PhD directly from undergrad is far, far away from being an easy task, but I figure it's worth a shot. Thanks in advance!

Well, for starters, have you written other papers that would be long enough or good be lengthened? I would aim for about 15-20 pages of straight essay. My sample is 28 pages including images and bibliography. (The highest limit I had was 30 pages, so ymmv). 

I was lucky and had already written a 34 page paper second semester Junior year, so I could have used that. I had also written two 8 page papers I could have expanded, but didn't. Instead, I took my summer to write a paper while doing a museum internship. I finished it at the beginning of Fall semester and gave it to professors to edit (it also doubled as credit for my internship grade). 

There's no reason why you couldn't write a paper over the summer and edit it in the fall. 

Summer: Writing sample draft, Create preliminary schools list, brainstorm SOPS, study for the GRE

Late Summer: Begin contacting POIs (potentially take a GRE), draft your resume/CV

Fall: Continue contacting POIS, edit your writing sample several times, finalize a list of schools, take the GRE, speak with recommenders

October: Write out a list of schools, POIs, and deadlines. Prepare to have your recommendation letter materials a full month before the first deadline (My first deadline is the 31st, I gave my Recommenders a packet of info which included schools, desired studies, CV, transcripts, etc., on the 1st of December). Complete your statement rough drafts, begin rounds of edits. Edit your writing sample. 

This is essentially what I am doing/have done (with a lot of editing happening in November as well), and I worked two part-time jobs, had 20 credits, 7 classes, three in-class presentations, and two research projects + 2 papers (30 pages total) besides my writing sample due (38 pages overall). If you really want to apply to graduate school, you make it work. All of my sample is edited and complete, and I've written SOPS + extra essays for 7 schools. It's doable, you just need a lot of motivation (and maybe coffee). 

ETA: The best way to balance an overly full schedule is to SCHEDULE EVERYTHING you HAVE to do. I print a basic weekly schedule and block out class times and work shifts, then I block out certain times I know I can socialize (I see friends for coffee on monday mornings or monday evenings), my Sunday mornings-afternoons are "Free" time, or my work isn't scheduled saturday or friday nights and I have time to see folks), and then I block out  breakfast/lunch/dinner. Everything else is studying/writing or free time if my work goals for the week are met. 

Managing your time is so important when you're trying to balance applications and finals in the same week. 

Edited by m-ttl

Hi to all —

>I know, of course, that entering to an MA/PhD directly from undergrad is far, far away from being an easy task, but I figure it's worth a shot.

What do you mean by this? Almost every single grad student I know doing an MA came directly from their senior year in undergrad. Perhaps it's different in the states...?

>I know, of course, that entering to an MA/PhD directly from undergrad is far, far away from being an easy task, but I figure it's worth a shot.

What do you mean by this? Almost every single grad student I know doing an MA came directly from their senior year in undergrad. Perhaps it's different in the states...?

I don't know what it's like in Canada, but funded MAs in the US are very competitive and there are plenty of older applicants who have work experience in the field wanting an MA to further their careers. Many do come straight out of UG. But it still is difficult to write applications and a thesis and do class work at the same time. Mostly it's just a lot of work and deadlines all at once. 

I see. In Canada the more common path seems to be a 2-year MA, followed by a PhD. People who go to the USA will often do a direct-entry PhD, though, but I gather that standalone or "terminal" MA programs are seen somewhat differently there (as a sort of objective in-itself rather than a stepping stone towards a PhD).

Just enjoy the process and make sure you can offer a "full package." Having a research interest in mind, a project to work with on a professor, your two languages down, and a solid GPA/GRE combo.  Having a thesis already written, with some work experience (like a TA/RA, etc) is nice too.  

Edited by theartman1193

@m-tll, thank you for the timeline and info, that's exactly what I was looking for. Impressed to see all that you've balanced this application season and I wish you good luck!

@ereissoup, as m-tll explained, it definitely is possible, and I meant more in the sense that it's never a given that your hard work will pay off in getting into a program. Especially in the case of the combined MA/PhD programs where you're in it for the long-run, it seems like less and less incoming students are coming directly from undergrad. Just what I've tended to notice though, it's not at all to say that there aren't successful students in those programs coming straight from undergrad (as I myself am hoping to do!)

Thanks to all others for their advice as well!