Jump to content

2014 Applications... waiting room.


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate what you're saying about "not begrudging other people who have money," but making the conscious to take on the debt in order to have access to education doesn't feel insane to me. I had n

Ok.  I've just got to jump in here.  No matter what your financial position, I fervently believe that it's very dangerous to attend a PhD program that does not fund you.  The chances of getting a TT j

Idealism is wonderful and all, but even if you are lucky enough to score a tenure-track job after you complete your degree, you're still looking at shouldering that debt for a long time. Look at http:

Did anyone else get an email rejection (download this attachment!) AND a letter rejection? Talk about a buzzkill -- I felt it was kind of unnecessary when I already got something in my email inbox to see it all over again in my snail mail.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else *still* waiting on the Courtauld?

 

I haven't heard news from them on any of the 3 special options I applied for.

 

Is there a notification date/deadline for them? I have other offers I need to respond to soon, but the Courtauld is my top choice.

 

:::anxiously tapping my foot here::::

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else *still* waiting on the Courtauld?

 

I haven't heard news from them on any of the 3 special options I applied for.

 

Is there a notification date/deadline for them? I have other offers I need to respond to soon, but the Courtauld is my top choice.

 

:::anxiously tapping my foot here::::

 

Hey you might want to email them- their deadline to accept their admissions offer is April 1.  Maybe you are on a waitlist or something.  May I ask what your top choice was for the special option?

Link to post
Share on other sites

So at this point, my decision really comes down to how much funding I am going to be receiving. So far, both of the programs I am considering have been pretty silent about what they can offer me. 

 

Is it okay to ask about funding? I feel almost childish when it comes to asking but it's really the deciding factor for me. A professor I met with at Penn State emailed me and asked if I had any questions/concerns? Is it okay to ask for an update?

 

 

ahh April 15th is coming up way too soon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So at this point, my decision really comes down to how much funding I am going to be receiving. So far, both of the programs I am considering have been pretty silent about what they can offer me.

Is it okay to ask about funding? I feel almost childish when it comes to asking but it's really the deciding factor for me. A professor I met with at Penn State emailed me and asked if I had any questions/concerns? Is it okay to ask for an update?

ahh April 15th is coming up way too soon.

I'm in the same boat. This last Friday I just broke down and decided to email the DGS of the program I'm most considering and basically was just like "do you know when I might be able to expect an answer about funding?" I think they have to wait as long as they can to inform MA students because they are waiting for phD students to turn down their offers, so I'm sure they probably aren't trying to be cagey about it. But the deadline is approaching so they need to get on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone heard anything from Williams yet? Are there any Williams admits who are likely to turn down their offer? I have a pressing deadline for another school and am trying to figure out if anyone is thinking of declining his/her offer.

Please feel free to PM me if you feel more comfortable that way. Thanks!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey you might want to email them- their deadline to accept their admissions offer is April 1.  Maybe you are on a waitlist or something.  May I ask what your top choice was for the special option?

 

I emailed admissions. They sent back a reply that wasn't terribly helpful - just said they received my application and would let me know when there was a change in its status. No other information like a time estimate, or if I was on the cusp/waiting list, etc.

Chose specialist option Contacts and Contexts in Russian Art. Am considering emailing the tutor directly.

 

I have until April 15th to tell the 2 American programs I got into yes or no. Have already told one other UK program I got an offer from no. Would love to go to the Courtauld, but if they don't tell me by April 14th, I'll accept one of the two American school who have already sent me offers. 

 

Not sure what more I can do re: the Courtauld. Oh well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This may be a silly question.... But can someone please give me some pointers or what to say when emailing a department you've been admitted to about possible funding/assistantships? I'm not sure if I should mention in it that chances are I won't get to attend without any funding help 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone heard anything from Williams yet? Are there any Williams admits who are likely to turn down their offer? I have a pressing deadline for another school and am trying to figure out if anyone is thinking of declining his/her offer.

Please feel free to PM me if you feel more comfortable that way. Thanks!!!

 

I emailed them last week. The director Marc Gotlieb told me I was waitlisted with a decent chance of getting in...so I would guess you are probably in the same boat!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, has anyone else been accepted to BU and declined their offer? I was trying to brainstorm a really polite rejection to them (since they aren't funding) and it turns out it was a very simple form to fill out. Kinda weird. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats!! You hadn't accepted an offer anywhere else already?

Thank you! No, I have not made my decision yet. : (. And am still not quite ready to make it just yet. How about you? Do you know where you're going?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you! No, I have not made my decision yet. : (. And am still not quite ready to make it just yet. How about you? Do you know where you're going?

I'm fairly positive but I will probably wait until the last minute, just in case.  Imma start a thread on here for where everyone ends up--I'm really curious

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm fairly positive but I will probably wait until the last minute, just in case.  Imma start a thread on here for where everyone ends up--I'm really curious

That's a wonderful idea! I too am curious about where others are going.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm fairly positive but I will probably wait until the last minute, just in case.  Imma start a thread on here for where everyone ends up--I'm really curious

 

I'm not looking to cause any trouble here, but I just want to put out a general PSA on behalf of everyone that has been waitlisted - PLEASE don't wait until the last minute. Please. It's human decency, really. Of course you have every right to take every hour until April 15 to decide, and I understand that these are not decisions to be taken lightly, but for the love of god, if you know what you want to do, just pull the trigger and cut the other schools loose. At least register your rejections at the places you know you won't be attending. Do it for your fellow comrades-in-arms who are all hoping to land that spot at the school of their dreams. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not looking to cause any trouble here, but I just want to put out a general PSA on behalf of everyone that has been waitlisted - PLEASE don't wait until the last minute. Please. It's human decency, really. Of course you have every right to take every hour until April 15 to decide, and I understand that these are not decisions to be taken lightly, but for the love of god, if you know what you want to do, just pull the trigger and cut the other schools loose. At least register your rejections at the places you know you won't be attending. Do it for your fellow comrades-in-arms who are all hoping to land that spot at the school of their dreams. 

 

I agree.  Not only are other students waiting to hear back about acceptances off waitlists...they are waiting to hear about funding...and schools are waiting to hear back so that they can make decisions about scheduling for next year.  If you have all your options, please notify your schools as quickly as possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.