How Are You Coping With The Torture Of Waiting???

PsycD

Tomorrow I plan to indulge in lots of football, beer, and unhealthy food to distract me from this grad school purgatory.

Checking email a ton. Reverting to highschool habit of taking forever on everything, read: spent like six hours just on PDEs today. It shouldn't have taken that long. Hey look, new episodes on hulu!

I'm becoming increasingly nervous. At least two of my schools are rumored to send out all of their interview invites this week - two of my top choices. I am completely unmotivated by my current assumption I will be rejected everywhere and thus why bother with these advanced level classes my final semester. What's the point!?!?

Gah! I keep refreshing the Results page, checking email... I just try to tell myself that I probably won't hear anything for another month!

Edited by starofdawn

I'm learning Python again and slowly returning to my natural state of book-loving super hermit. Oh, and I guess I work 40+ hours a week, so there's that. Luckily interviews are coming up, so I'll have a few busy weekends in February. 

My applications are due on the 15th. As soon as I submit, I'm packing my bags and heading to Vietnam and Cambodia for two weeks for a bit of R&R. Ever since I started working on applications in earnest, I feel like I've had my balls in a vice. 

So I'm going to go soak up some sun and have a good time before I have to come back to nail-biting reality.

Good luck to all of you, by the way. We've at least earned pats-on-our-backs for making it this far.

Revising a manuscript, working, running (a lot)... so much that I joined a marathon club haha. I ignore my anxiety all day and then it hits me like a truck each night before bed lol. I think this waiting game is worse than preparing for the GMAT. At least I was in control then!

I'm becoming increasingly nervous. At least two of my schools are rumored to send out all of their interview invites this week - two of my top choices. I am completely unmotivated by my current assumption I will be rejected everywhere and thus why bother with these advanced level classes my final semester. What's the point!?!?

you should use that as motivation to do well in those classes. I am racking my brain thinking "okay, I'm probably going to get rejected from everything. what can I do to make myself a better candidate for next year?" I'm having trouble answering that but your answer is to finish what you're doing and do really well at it!

you should use that as motivation to do well in those classes. I am racking my brain thinking "okay, I'm probably going to get rejected from everything. what can I do to make myself a better candidate for next year?" I'm having trouble answering that but your answer is to finish what you're doing and do really well at it!

actually rogue I'm doing the same thing: I wrote a "act as if" list: what would I be doing if I DID get in? And if I get rejected, I plan on following the act as if list (research, reading, thesis work, conferences) as closely as possible; I even got access to JSTOR so it's not unreasonable to expect that I can make phd level process in the year off. Hopefully we won't need these plan B's though, this year's applicants on gradcafe seem pretty amazing to me!

I didn't anticipate the mix of boredom and anxiety to be so lethal. I learn to bake, try to work out (which are totally counterproductive btw), read some books, plan to rewatch Games of Throne (just saw the trailer for season 4, one more reason for April to come early!) and give Breaking Bad a second chance, started House of Cards and The West Wing, and become obsessed with this forum. Oh and I saw these on BuzzFeed the other day:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ariellecalderon/books-to-read-before-they-hit-theaters-this-year

http://www.buzzfeed.com/summeranne/24-invaluable-skills-to-learn-for-free-online-this-year

So yeah, I'll add some more books to my list and maybe learn to code. But then most things done for distraction often lose their true appeal.

Edited by VioletAyame

I notice that people keep saying they check their spam folder.  Do the school emails sometimes show up in Spam?

I think it's just wishful thinking/panicking.

I do it like, twenty times a day. Because WHAT IF I MISS IT?

actually rogue I'm doing the same thing: I wrote a "act as if" list: what would I be doing if I DID get in? And if I get rejected, I plan on following the act as if list (research, reading, thesis work, conferences) as closely as possible; I even got access to JSTOR so it's not unreasonable to expect that I can make phd level process in the year off. Hopefully we won't need these plan B's though, this year's applicants on gradcafe seem pretty amazing to me!

I would love to do that but I have to work a full-time job to support myself unfortunately. best I can do is try to better myself in my spare time. conferences and lengthy papers are pretty much out of the question.

What I want to know is why all the STEM results come out so much earlier than the humanities. 

I wonder if it has something to do with the type of materials humanities programs ask for...ie the 10-20 page writing sample on top of SOP and PH.