Official Canadian University Thread 2014

cwasson

On the topic of international applications...Anyone else's department at UBC require them to mail printed physical copies of application documents? So frustrating and expensive (international)... all my other schools accepted digital docs.

UBC allowed me to email it in, but the University of Alberta made me mail it. 

I applied for Masters in Environmental Studies at Waterloo and York. I'm getting a bit nervous since someone heard from Waterloo already, although it was for a different program. Has anyone else heard anything from either of these two?

Finished a Skype interview with POI from McGill yesterday. He asked me for an additional letter of recommendation from my manager. He said the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering is pressuring them to make decisions Monday or Tuesday next week. Man.....

As a Canadian, I find only U of T, McGill, UBC and Université de Montréal are worth considering. Attending the other unis makes it seem like you didn't get accepted into the top 4. 

I don't agree with this at all.  It depends on what field you are in as well.  Many other Canadian universities are considered top ranked universities.  Just because they don't show as the top 4 on a list doesn't mean anything.  You certainly have a very close-minded viewpoint.

Thanks you - that's helpful! 

I wouldn't take one person's word on what is or is not a top university in Canada.  There are many other outstanding universities in Canada and we place MUCH less prestige on a "brand name" university than they do in the US. 

I don't agree with this at all.  It depends on what field you are in as well.  Many other Canadian universities are considered top ranked universities.  Just because they don't show as the top 4 on a list doesn't mean anything.  You certainly have a very close-minded viewpoint.

I'm very interested in hearing other opinions and thoughts on the original question: which Canadian universities are considered to be the most prestigious. In the US, for example, the most prestigious schools are obviously the 'Ivy's' like Princeton, Harvard, Yale - and other top schools. Of course, this doesn't mean that those schools are the best, and it doesn't mean they are the best schools for specific disciplines at all. Similarly, I'm interested in how prestige is perceived by Canadians. As a US American, I had only ever heard of McGill. After doing research and speaking with advisors here, I was told that UofT and UBC were also considered 'good schools.' What this means is that with PhDs from UofT or UBC I could get teaching jobs in the US. I was curious to hear how the schools are considered within Canada and wondered if this matched up.

I also applied to York, Simon Fraser, and Memorial because of faculty I want to work with but my faculty advisors here weren't happy about those options.

Just received word from UofA.  Accepted into their English PhD program :)

When was your application due date? 

I'm applying to UofA and the materials still aren't due for a few more days! Wish it was longer though, seeing how one of my letter writers STILL hasn't mailed her letter. 

When was your application due date? 

I'm applying to UofA and the materials still aren't due for a few more days! Wish it was longer though, seeing how one of my letter writers STILL hasn't mailed her letter. 

Jan 7.  One of my letter writers was a few days late with her letter, too.

I don't agree with this at all. It depends on what field you are in as well. Many other Canadian universities are considered top ranked universities. Just because they don't show as the top 4 on a list doesn't mean anything. You certainly have a very close-minded viewpoint.

I agree. I applied at other schools in Canada because only those schools had professors working on my topic of interest.

I applied to York (MA-Social and Political Thought), Western (MA- Theory and Criticism), and Victoria (Political Science). Waiting.. waiting.. waiting 

Edited by SL12

Do the Canadian Universities take longer to respond than the US ones or it's just my impression?

Generally, yes. Part of the reason why that is the case is because deadline for a lot of Canadian programs is usually in January or February, unlike American schools where deadlines are usually in December.

Got an MA acceptance to Queens today. Pleased but also surprised, considering how egregious my research proposal seems in the context of their department's general focus.

If the results search means anything, I'll have to wait until march before hearing back from McGill...

Edited by ereissoup

Got an MA acceptance to Queens today. Pleased but also surprised, considering how egregious my research proposal seems in the context of their department's general focus.

If the results search means anything, I'll have to wait until march before hearing back from McGill...

Same. Waiting for McGill. Congrats on Queens!  :)