Sign in to follow this  
JLRC

"Communications" Forum Title

This isn't the biggest deal, but there is essentially no part of academia that calls itself "Communications." "Communication" is what you'll see the vast majority of the time. I've noticed certain academics get very touchy about the singular vs. plural on this, so I figure you guys might want to consider changing the name to conform with professional norms. 

If not, I think we'll all live. Just a suggestion!

This isn't the biggest deal, but there is essentially no part of academia that calls itself "Communications." "Communication" is what you'll see the vast majority of the time. I've noticed certain academics get very touchy about the singular vs. plural on this, so I figure you guys might want to consider changing the name to conform with professional norms.

If not, I think we'll all live. Just a suggestion!

Haha I've pondered about this for the longest time. In my undergrad institution it is spelled plural; however when I started looking at grad schools it is mostly spelled singular with a few exceptions. Do you happen to know the reason behind this inconsistency and/or the reasoning for each spelling? It seems peculiar that Communication is usually spelled singular but when it's Communication Arts or Communication Studies, it's always plural!

I thought it got switched...

As for why, I believe the term 'Communications' was traditionally (and still, currently) used to reference specifically communication systems (or telecom).  Communication as a discipline seems to refer to the actual act of communicating, and also, it sounds much less silly.  Communications just sounds cringe-worthy and seems to fit with the idea of it being a joke type of discipline. 

Most uni's seem to use communication, but some use communications (generally extremely tech / network based).