Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

EmilyIRL, thanks for the suggestion! I was actually just looking at India's page on the Fulbright website. I've never been to India, but from what I hear it does seem like a prime location for the microfinance research I'd like to conduct. My only big worry worry is that I will have a hard time getting a visa. My first job offer out of college was actually in Chennai, and I fought for 6 months trying to get a visa, but in the end I was told (by one of the individuals that worked at the Consulate) that I was likely having a hard time because I was born in Pakistan :( And I ended up having to look for a new job. I'm just scared to go through the whole Fulbright process and then have a tough time getting a visa.

I see you're applying to India. Are you applying for research or ETA?

Oh maaaan, that stinks. True story: they didn't let one of my friends out of India for a few days because he had visited Bangladesh during his stay in India, and his last name is Hyder. Actually, it was really funny, but I felt bad for the guy because he was so homesick the whole time he was in India.

I'll be applying for the creative/research Fulbright. (It's still the research Fulbright, but with slightly different application requirements.) Not sure how that's going to go, but I figure I might as well try. I'm getting my MFA in Children's Literature, and I'd like to do something along the lines of adapting the Indian epics for a US audience.

It's great to see other prospective 2016 Fulbright ETA'ers on here! Im applying to the program in Rwanda or South Korea. Has anyone already started to work on their personal statement or statement of grant purpose?

Oh maaaan, that stinks. True story: they didn't let one of my friends out of India for a few days because he had visited Bangladesh during his stay in India, and his last name is Hyder. Actually, it was really funny, but I felt bad for the guy because he was so homesick the whole time he was in India.

I'll be applying for the creative/research Fulbright. (It's still the research Fulbright, but with slightly different application requirements.) Not sure how that's going to go, but I figure I might as well try. I'm getting my MFA in Children's Literature, and I'd like to do something along the lines of adapting the Indian epics for a US audience.

Aw man, I didn't know that India had issues with Bangladesh as well. That sounds like a hard situation for your friend.

Your research project sounds very interesting! Which Indian epics are you thinking about using? 

It's great to see other prospective 2016 Fulbright ETA'ers on here! Im applying to the program in Rwanda or South Korea. Has anyone already started to work on their personal statement or statement of grant purpose?

Hi Namber! wow, Rwanda or S.Korea are very different...what made you choose those countries? 

I have not started working on my personal statement or grant purpose yet, but that's because I haven't completely decided on my research or country. I was a finalist for research to Bangladesh for the 2014-2015 cycle, but just found out I didn't get it. Now I'm trying to figure out what strategy I want to take this coming cycle. However, whichever way I do go, I will likely use bits and pieces of my current personal statement.

Have you started on your personal statement or grant purpose yet? 

namber, I was recently granted an ETA to South Korea so I know a bit about the program if you have any questions. I also think this blog is very from a current Fulbrighter is useful in getting a sense of the program: http://thefulbrighter.blogspot.com/ 

Does anyone have tips for locking in an affiliation? I've emailed 10+ professors and orgs...only two have emailed back and after I replied to their initial response...no response. Help!??

I'm completely new to Fulbright and only stumbled onto it after A NEED TO HUNT DOWN FUNDING for existing (but new) affiliation/acceptance/plans.

I have a question, how fast can one begin to use funding?
What the turn around time?  -- You apply with an October deadline and you hear back in January.  Could you potentially start using it for your proposed abroad affiliation as early as Feb March or April that follows January? OR Do you have to wait til the fall of 2015 to begin using the funding?

After my 2nd round of PhD rejections and I found out early, I got super motivated and like a hungry tiger was voraciously hunting down research opportunities to show that I indeed do have what it takes and will be doing poster presentations at several conferences submitting my current research for publication (I have none).
I'm doing everything imaginable to fulfill any short comings to "PhD admission"   ------To make a long story short MISSION ACCOMPLISHED ---- Im presenting poster presentations over summer working on journal submissions for publication of my thesis research AND managed to get accepted to a research station in South Africa. I have my letters from the field established research station, BUT MUST FUND MYSELF as a "volunteership"

Im sorta in reverse sequence here - I now have all my affiliation and currently only have the letter that goes to the embassy when requesting my 10 month visa   I could live on rice from now until my October departure and have a dull summer in order to fund myself, but seriously!!!!!

So I began hunting down funding as more of an after thought. I will have saved enough money to sustain my stay for 2-3 months BUT NEED ADDED FUNDING.

whats the problem you ask? Its not MY project. I will be the sole field researcher to 5 PostDocs of a French University with the field station in Africa.
Subject is small mammal ecology

I spoke to someone at fulbright about my lack of a proposal or independent project and they said its do-able
Goals of fulbright are professional development. What I would gain and the infinite multitude of data collection techniques blood samples blood analysis for hormone levels and nutrient levels, radio-tracking, GPS, GIS tracking, camera monitoring and thats not even half the list.

I strongly feel I could learn sooooooo much more with a much greater capacity for and access to developing my professional career by assisting on 10+ research projects for 10 months 
rather than proposing my own project.

ANY THOUGHTS?

and how soon can someone begin to use funding once accepted by Fulbright? Like IMMEDIATELY?           

Edited by InnovativeL

Does anyone have tips for locking in an affiliation? I've emailed 10+ professors and orgs...only two have emailed back and after I replied to their initial response...no response. Help!??

dec9327, that sounds tough! Thankfully, I didn't have too much trouble finding an affiliation last year. I e-mailed about 5 individuals I wanted to work with and one responded back. Maybe you could try using your current contacts (professors, past employers, or other individuals in your field) and see if they know of any organizations/professors in your host country that might be willing to work with you. If that doesn't work, you might just have to keep cold e-mailing professors and orgs :/ someones bound to say yes! 

Did you email them with a proposed project? Did it complement their research? Did you make reference to their research, a paper or two? Did you explain your motivation, sorta like a motivation statement? Did your email come across like your are enthused or motivated etc?

Whether its Fulbright or a graduate application, approaching faculty to do research with/under them is always challenging. Those are some pieces of info in your email that may help increase the response you get.

Are you sending a CV attached to your emails? That will help you substantially.

I'm completely new to Fulbright and only stumbled onto it after A NEED TO HUNT DOWN FUNDING for existing (but new) affiliation/acceptance/plans.

I have a question, how fast can one begin to use funding?

What the turn around time?  -- You apply with an October deadline and you hear back in January.  Could you potentially start using it for your proposed abroad affiliation as early as Feb March or April that follows January? OR Do you have to wait til the fall of 2015 to begin using the funding?

After my 2nd round of PhD rejections and I found out early, I got super motivated and like a hungry tiger was voraciously hunting down research opportunities to show that I indeed do have what it takes and will be doing poster presentations at several conferences submitting my current research for publication (I have none).

I'm doing everything imaginable to fulfill any short comings to "PhD admission"   ------To make a long story short MISSION ACCOMPLISHED ---- Im presenting poster presentations over summer working on journal submissions for publication of my thesis research AND managed to get accepted to a research station in South Africa. I have my letters from the field established research station, BUT MUST FUND MYSELF as a "volunteership"

Im sorta in reverse sequence here - I now have all my affiliation and currently only have the letter that goes to the embassy when requesting my 10 month visa   I could live on rice from now until my October departure and have a dull summer in order to fund myself, but seriously!!!!!

So I began hunting down funding as more of an after thought. I will have saved enough money to sustain my stay for 2-3 months BUT NEED ADDED FUNDING.

whats the problem you ask? Its not MY project. I will be the sole field researcher to 5 PostDocs of a French University with the field station in Africa.

Subject is small mammal ecology

I spoke to someone at fulbright about my lack of a proposal or independent project and they said its do-able

Goals of fulbright are professional development. What I would gain and the infinite multitude of data collection techniques blood samples blood analysis for hormone levels and nutrient levels, radio-tracking, GPS, GIS tracking, camera monitoring and thats not even half the list.

I strongly feel I could learn sooooooo much more with a much greater capacity for and access to developing my professional career by assisting on 10+ research projects for 10 months  rather than proposing my own project.

ANY THOUGHTS?

and how soon can you begin to use your funding? Like IMMEDIATELY?           

InnovativeL, welcome to the forum and congrats on the amazing opportunity!!!

So if you submit your Fulbright application in October, you will find out if you made it past the first round in January 2015. If you do make it past the first round, your application will be sent to the US Embassy in your host country, and they will decide if you are selected, if you are an alternate, or if you are a non-select. Depending on the country, this process could take several months (some people are STILL waiting from the 2014-2015 cycle). If you are chosen, I'm not sure exactly when you would be able to start using the funding, but I would guess it would be shortly before your start date (and many countries start date is the January of the NEXT year).

From South Africa's Fulbright page, it seems their grant period starts anywhere from July 2015-March 2016. I would guess you would be able to start using the funding shortly before the date you would begin in that date range. Hope that helps! Good luck with your research...it sounds very interesting! 

InnovativeL, welcome to the forum and congrats on the amazing opportunity!!!

So if you submit your Fulbright application in October, you will find out if you made it past the first round in January 2015. If you do make it past the first round, your application will be sent to the US Embassy in your host country, and they will decide if you are selected, if you are an alternate, or if you are a non-select. Depending on the country, this process could take several months (some people are STILL waiting from the 2014-2015 cycle). If you are chosen, I'm not sure exactly when you would be able to start using the funding, but I would guess it would be shortly before your start date (and many countries start date is the January of the NEXT year).

From South Africa's Fulbright page, it seems their grant period starts anywhere from July 2015-March 2016. I would guess you would be able to start using the funding shortly before the date you would begin in that date range. Hope that helps! Good luck with your research...it sounds very interesting! 

Thanks, that was very helpful. Im set to arrive in South Africa 10/1/2014  to 7/1/2015. It sounds like I wouldn't get to make use of it until basically after my return to the U.S. :angry:  How unfortunate.   Hmmmmm..... maybe they do reimbursement? Maybe?

My ultimate goal is to just get in a PhD program. I suppose this will help me with that, but not with my more immediate funding need :(

Every little CV building block helps and I could alway return to my same site since I would have established connections in South Africa, plus I expect additional PhD rejection this next year due to a lack of publications at the time of the Dec. PhD application submissions. Hence my aggressive fellowship search.

Anyone else needing Grad School funding check these Fellowships

- NSF GRFP more research oriented for your experience

- Ford Foundation Fellowship more funding than NSF and more teaching oriented

- http://www.uncfsp.org/cms/index.cfm

- http://www.pathwaystoscience.org/

- http://www.buffalo.edu/iseed/phd-students/external-funding-opportunities.html

THAT'S RIGHT! WHEN I SAID MY FUNDING HUNT WAS AGGRESSIVE, I WAS NOT KIDDING!!! :D A lil' off topic but check out those resources

I got 6 fellowships to prepare for now :blink: throw a few more GRE tests in their too. <_<

Edited by InnovativeL

Thanks, that was very helpful. Im set to arrive in South Africa 10/1/2014  to 7/1/2015. It sounds like I wouldn't get to make use of it until basically after my return to the U.S. :angry:  How unfortunate.   Hmmmmm..... maybe they do reimbursement? Maybe?

My ultimate goal is to just get in a PhD program. I suppose this will help me with that, but not with my more immediate funding need :(

Every little CV building block helps and I could alway return to my same site since I would have established connections in South Africa, plus I expect additional PhD rejection this next year due to a lack of publications at the time of the Dec. PhD application submissions. Hence my aggressive fellowship search.

Anyone else needing Grad School funding check these Fellowships

- NSF GRFP more research oriented for your experience

- Ford Foundation Fellowship more funding than NSF and more teaching oriented

- http://www.uncfsp.org/cms/index.cfm

- http://www.pathwaystoscience.org/

- http://www.buffalo.edu/iseed/phd-students/external-funding-opportunities.html

THAT'S RIGHT! WHEN I SAID MY FUNDING HUNT WAS AGGRESSIVE, I WAS NOT KIDDING!!! :D A lil' off topic but check out those resources

I got 6 fellowships to prepare for now :blink: throw a few more GRE tests in their too. <_<

As I said in the other thread - they will not fund people living in the country at the time. You need to look up eligibility rules for Fulbright. In addition, as I also said, this is not YOUR research. Therefore you are not competitive because these researchers can hire any assistant to do their work. I will provide the links so that other people do not get confused by your post and assume that they can use Fulbright for this purpose or retroactively. 

You should also look at eligibility for NSF GRFP and the Ford Fellowship. You cannot use these to be a research assistant or to "reimburse you", however you can use them for entry into the Fall 2015 graduate school year. Oh and if you have a Masters you are not eligible for NSF GRFP.  I suggest a bit of organization on your part is in order. I applied for 14 grants, 2 fellowships, and 6 scholarships. I had an Excel sheet with the organization name, URL, total award, date due, and details important to eligibility. This allowed me to focus on the ones that would actually help me and helped me avoid applications that were not applicable to my research/situation.

I am sure I must sound like a Debbie Downer - but you need a dose of a reality and a little bit of structure to your excited thoughts. It is good to have energy, it is not good to waste that energy. 

As I said in the other thread - they will not fund people living in the country at the time. You need to look up eligibility rules for Fulbright. In addition, as I also said, this is not YOUR research. Therefore you are not competitive because these researchers can hire any assistant to do their work. I will provide the links so that other people do not get confused by your post and assume that they can use Fulbright for this purpose or retroactively.

You should also look at eligibility for NSF GRFP and the Ford Fellowship. You cannot use these to be a research assistant or to "reimburse you", however you can use them for entry into the Fall 2015 graduate school year. Oh and if you have a Masters you are not eligible for NSF GRFP. I suggest a bit of organization on your part is in order. I applied for 14 grants, 2 fellowships, and 6 scholarships. I had an Excel sheet with the organization name, URL, total award, date due, and details important to eligibility. This allowed me to focus on the ones that would actually help me and helped me avoid applications that were not applicable to my research/situation.

I am sure I must sound like a Debbie Downer - but you need a dose of a reality and a little bit of structure to your excited thoughts. It is good to have energy, it is not good to waste that energy.

I'm aware of what ford fellowship and what NSF GRFP are for. I never once suggested that it was possible to apply to these without a project. I suggest you re-read my post where I included links. They were for individuals looking to fund their degree. Try to read more carefully please. I have a Masters degree I'm not new to how NSF GRFP and how Ford Fellowship work. Fulbright unlike Other fellowship is for time while not enrolled and while one may be matriculated while applying Fulbright is not primarily intended for tuition purposes which is why I had suggested NSF and Ford. Read more carefully please I am well experiences with a grueling application process don't misinterpreted my point in mentioning NSF in my last reply to you.

Direct from the horses mouth at Fulbright, "A project is not mandatory as long as you can show that your intended activity abroad leads to your own professional career development...." as well as how that activity impacts that country and the US.

Edited by InnovativeL

You should also look at eligibility for NSF GRFP and the Ford Fellowship. You cannot use these to be a research assistant or to "reimburse you", however you can use them for entry into the Fall 2015 graduate school year. Oh and if you have a Masters you are not eligible for NSF GRFP.  I suggest a bit of organization on your part is in order. I applied for 14 grants, 2 fellowships, and 6 scholarships. I had an Excel sheet with the organization name, URL, total award, date due, and details important to eligibility. This allowed me to focus on the ones that would actually help me and helped me avoid applications that were not applicable to my research/situation.

You got this aaaaall the wrong way sweet heart. I provided the NSF info for the individuals who were trying to fund their own degree. I never said I am applying I said I'm experienced with the lengthy process and referred to the past and provided them links for those without their masters. No you're not a Debbie downer, blunt is always better. However try not to make assumptions about me please. This excitability you claim I have is not what you have projected I am and since you don't know me try refraining from speculating about the person I am. Thank You

I'm aware of what ford fellowship and what NSF GRFP are for. I never once suggested that it was possible to apply to these without a project. I suggest you re-read my post where I included links. They were for individuals looking to fund their degree. Try to read more carefully please. I have a Masters degree I'm not new to how NSF GRFP and how Ford Fellowship work. Fulbright unlike Other fellowship is for time while not enrolled and while one may be matriculated while applying Fulbright is not primarily intended for tuition purposes which is why I had suggested NSF and Ford. Read more carefully please I am well experiences with a grueling application process don't misinterpreted my point in mentioning NSF in my last reply to you.

Direct from the horses mouth at Fulbright, "A project is not mandatory as long as you can show that your intended activity abroad leads to your own professional career development...." as well as how that activity impacts that country and the US.

Well your last two posts are certainly more clear, coherent, and well-thought out than your others. Well done. Writing clearly allows people to understand what you are attempting to convey. 

As for your funding - good luck applying for all things relevant to your situation. Fulbright will NOT fund you retroactively, nor will they fund someone currently residing/working in the country of interest they are applying to. You may, however, apply for a Fulbright after your time as an assistant.

A quite deserving well done for you too, for paying better attention to what you're reading. The skill to read more carefully will help you in your future endeavors Secret Ninja.

I would not have posted that FULBRIGHT APPLICANTS DO NOT NEED AN INDEPENDENT PROJECT if it wasn't true and already confirmed with Fulbright a week ago.

I don't need to talk to Fulbright about this because it was already done and confirmed much before you suggested I speak to them. There are many avenues to Fulbright. Maybe consider expanding your breadth on the variety available would be a good idea.

Edited by InnovativeL

A quite deserving well done for you too, for paying better attention to what you're reading. The skill to read more carefully will help you in your future endeavors Secret Ninja.

I would not have posted that FULBRIGHT APPLICANTS DO NOT NEED AN INDEPENDENT PROJECT if it wasn't true and already confirmed with Fulbright a week ago.

I don't need to talk to Fulbright about this because it was already done and confirmed much before you suggested I speak to them. There are many avenues to Fulbright. Maybe consider expanding your breadth on the variety available would be a good idea.

What a shame your reading skills are also lacking. Please refer to my comments about what Fulbright will and will not fund. I said that you were eligible to apply. I stressed that you would NOT be competitive. I also said that IF YOU LIVE/WORK IN South Africa WHEN YOU APPLY, you are NOT eligible.  From the Fulbright eligibility page: 

"... following the policy of the relevant binational Fulbright Commission or the U.S. Embassy in the host country, an application to the following countries will not be considered if the applicant is currently residing in or will be residing in that country during the year preceding the grant:"

And with that - I am done having a conversation with you. My intent is to ensure that your comments do not confuse future applicants, not to debate with you. I have enough awards and accolades to reassure me of both my reading and writing skills. Please learn to read rules and regulations (as well as helpful tips) closely as you move through your graduate career.  

You don't know where I will at the time I apply. Just because you have "many accolades" to your name does not mean you have no room to better yourself especially when based on your own mis-reading of something. This is not a debate and you have no business trying to make so many speculatory assumptions about me or anyone else for that matter. Think about your choice of words. You may have meant to provide clarity and prevent confusion for others but you instead directed your statement at me further demonstrating your presusumptions and mis-readings of perfectly clear information under the heading that refers to "funding your degree" not my degree, not my anything. You come off like you think you're a know it all but when you don't pay attention to what you read you will obviously lose credibility while others also see you clearly didn't read the heading above the links provided.

Work on your inquiry and reduce your assuming presumptions. Replace yourassuming statements with inquiry and your outcome will better match your intent which would "seem/appear" to be that you were wanting to be helpful. To avoid assuming statements you can at least try admitting that something "appears" a certain way to avoid accusing or assuming types of statements.

What a shame your reading skills are also lacking. Please refer to my comments about what Fulbright will and will not fund. I said that you were eligible to apply. I stressed that you would NOT be competitive. I also said that IF YOU LIVE/WORK IN South Africa WHEN YOU APPLY, you are NOT eligible.  From the Fulbright eligibility page: 

"... following the policy of the relevant binational Fulbright Commission or the U.S. Embassy in the host country, an application to the following countries will not be considered if the applicant is currently residing in or will be residing in that country during the year preceding the grant:"

And with that - I am done having a conversation with you. My intent is to ensure that your comments do not confuse future applicants, not to debate with you. I have enough awards and accolades to reassure me of both my reading and writing skills. Please learn to read rules and regulations (as well as helpful tips) closely as you move through your graduate career.  

To actually be speaking to everyone and not just directing your statement at me where you explicitly show believing me to be ineligible after saying I am. Do speculate anyone's eligibility.

Secret Ninja I suggest you consider altering your pronouns.

"If ...A PROSPECTIVE APPLICANT .... is already in their PROSPECTIVE COUNTRY at the time of applying HE/SHE will be ineligible."

Its important to speak broadly to the masses and that will help you avoid assumptions and accusations. You intended to provide clarity and reduce confusion FOR OTHERS so as such its best to adjust the use pronouns accordingly so your intent comes through in your message.

To actually be speaking to everyone and not just directing your statement at me where you explicitly show believing me to be ineligible after saying I am. Do speculate anyone's eligibility.

Secret Ninja I suggest you consider altering your pronouns.

"If ...A PROSPECTIVE APPLICANT .... is already in their PROSPECTIVE COUNTRY at the time of applying HE/SHE will be ineligible."

Its important to speak broadly to the masses and that will help you avoid assumptions and accusations. You intended to provide clarity and reduce confusion FOR OTHERS so as such its best to adjust the use pronouns accordingly so your intent comes through in your message.

Sass on sass, bad writing/writing-tips, and only 3 pages in. Good luck, 2015-2016 thread!

If any Ukraine applicants are out there, feel free to PM me with any questions.

Sass on sass, bad writing/writing-tips, and only 3 pages in. Good luck, 2015-2016 thread!

If any Ukraine applicants are out there, feel free to PM me with any questions.

I'm not planning on going to the Ukraine, but I have a random question:

Are Americans even allowed to go to the Ukraine at the moment? I only get bits and pieces of international affairs and I don't really trust news sources to give me the objective facts.

I'm not planning on going to the Ukraine, but I have a random question:

Are Americans even allowed to go to the Ukraine at the moment? I only get bits and pieces of international affairs and I don't really trust news sources to give me the objective facts.

This is a great site to keep in your bookmarks

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings.html

Rarely are we "not allowed" to go to places. I mean it certainly happens where some countries will not let people travel to certain parts of their country (Myanmar for example), but usually the US gov just advises caution.