Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

I'm not planning on going to the Ukraine, but I have a random question:

Are Americans even allowed to go to the Ukraine at the moment? I only get bits and pieces of international affairs and I don't really trust news sources to give me the objective facts.

No one will forbid you from traveling to certain areas, even dangerous ones, independently as a tourist. This changes once you're affiliated with Fulbright, though. I did my Fulbright in Colombia and we had a lot of restrictions placed on us regarding travel. Basically, Fulbright placed most of the same restrictions on us as the government places on embassy employees. It was a huge drag because we had to have all of our itineraries pre-approved by the security attaché at the embassy, couldn't travel between cities by bus, etc. There were also giant areas of the country that were just no-go zones. This is something to keep in mind when planning a research proposal. If you're project requires field work in an area that the state department considers dangerous then Fulbright probably won't fund you because you'd be a liability to the program.

No one will forbid you from traveling to certain areas, even dangerous ones, independently as a tourist. This changes once you're affiliated with Fulbright, though. I did my Fulbright in Colombia and we had a lot of restrictions placed on us regarding travel. Basically, Fulbright placed most of the same restrictions on us as the government places on embassy employees. It was a huge drag because we had to have all of our itineraries pre-approved by the security attaché at the embassy, couldn't travel between cities by bus, etc. There were also giant areas of the country that were just no-go zones. This is something to keep in mind when planning a research proposal. If you're project requires field work in an area that the state department considers dangerous then Fulbright probably won't fund you because you'd be a liability to the program.

LKS - That is great advice! I am applying to a country that contains a highly-contested region, so this will be something to keep in mind as I write my proposal. Thank you!

Hey everybody, I recognize a few from 2014/2015.. I applied last year for one grant. I am a professional so I applied under the Research Scholar award which is a bit different than the ETA and such. I was narrowed down to the interview and was selected as an alternate, then was told in April I was selected and to pack. Then two weeks later I was told both of the selectees would not be funded. What a roller coaster..

Research is difficult cause they only select one, maybe two at most and with 300 applications it gets competitive. I adjusted my project, though Fulbright told me the project was great. The thing I learned and I hope it helps those who are going to apply is:

"Fulbright told me they select a project mainly on the length of time it has been for that type of topic. So even if your project is flawless, if your topic was recently done you have a less chance of getting selected."

My two cents, "Spainbound" I remember you from last year, good luck to you. Are you doing research, not ETA right?

Edited by Bluefit

Thanks, Secret_Ninja and LKS. I'm going for the Canada research STEM award, so I'm certain that I will be relatively safe there.

My eligibility for the STEM award is a but muddled right now because of my background in psychology and biology. I'm going for neuroscience, but my top choice school doesn't have a neuro degree--just a program that compliments the main degree. So I'm not sure if I would be eligible apply for the psychology degree with the Neuro program and consider it STEM? So much to think about..

Hey everybody, I recognize a few from 2014/2015.. I applied last year for one grant. I am a professional so I applied under the Research Scholar award which is a bit different than the ETA and such. I was narrowed down to the interview and was selected as an alternate, then was told in April I was selected and to pack. Then two weeks later I was told both of the selectees would not be funded. What a roller coaster..

Research is difficult cause they only select one, maybe two at most and with 300 applications it gets competitive. I adjusted my project, though Fulbright told me the project was great. The thing I learned and I hope it helps those who are going to apply is:

"Fulbright told me they select a project mainly on the length of time it has been for that type of topic. So even if your project is flawless, if your topic was recently done you have a less chance of getting selected."

My two cents, "Spainbound" I remember you from last year, good luck to you. Are you doing research, not ETA right?

Hey again! Yes, I'm doing research, but not "scholar" since I've only been working for not quite three years.  However, I'm now trying to decide whether to stick with Spain, given the fact that I spent 9 months teaching there in 2007-2008 and fear this could hurt my competitiveness in that country...

I didn't know they awarded you the grant and then said there'd be no funding! That's terrible!!! Where were you trying to go again?

I can't believe I'm doing this again...

I've applied two times and have been rejected both times during the first round. I'm honestly pretty embarrassed to be trying again, but it's like I can't STOP. What a masochist...

Trying Sweden this year. 

Does anybody know if it is possible to apply for both the research/study Fulbright and the National geographi digital storytelling Fulbright in the same application cycle?

My dissertation project is on graffiti art in Brazil and my resarch invoves the use of visual ethnographic methods so it could work for either type of grant.

Does anybody know if it is possible to apply for both the research/study Fulbright and the National geographi digital storytelling Fulbright in the same application cycle?

My dissertation project is on graffiti art in Brazil and my resarch invoves the use of visual ethnographic methods so it could work for either type of grant.

Nope. I tried doing that this year and they said I could only apply to either the eta or the natgeo

I was a Fulbright ETA Alternate - Portugal a couple of years ago, I will be applying for a Fulbright ETA - Greece this year!

Good luck everyone!!

I've applied two times and have been rejected both times during the first round. I'm honestly pretty embarrassed to be trying again, but it's like I can't STOP. What a masochist...

Trying Sweden this year. 

I totally give you props, this will be my second year applying and it's just a matter of time before you get the much anticipated congratulatory email!

I was a Fulbright ETA Alternate - Portugal a couple of years ago, I will be applying for a Fulbright ETA - Greece this year!

Good luck everyone!!

I totally give you props, this will be my second year applying and it's just a matter of time before you get the much anticipated congratulatory email!

Thank you!! I hope you're right :)

hey yall

this might be a dumb question! but i know they are called study/research grants. does this mean if i want to get my masters at an institution, do i also have to be researching something else at that school or researching with someone else? or can i just get my masters?? 

That sounds horrible! I can't believe you called you to say that you're no longer funded...

Trying Sweden this year. 

Hey Kelseygwynne, I know your pain. I applied ​three times and to FINALLY be selected. I forgot if your project was recommended or not, but what made you change your country?

That sounds horrible! I can't believe you called you to say that you're no longer funded...

Yah buddy!!!1 I was psyched and ready to go. Well I am hoping all goes well this year. We'll see. My topic is good so fingers crossed on this one.

Hey Kelseygwynne, I know your pain. I applied ​three times and to FINALLY be selected. I forgot if your project was recommended or not, but what made you change your country?

Ah kbui, you give me hope! I changed primarily because this past year has taught me a lot and my interests have changed. I just hope I've learned enough in these past two years to really help me this time.

Ah kbui, you give me hope! I changed primarily because this past year has taught me a lot and my interests have changed. I just hope I've learned enough in these past two years to really help me this time.

Tenacity will pay off!

Yah buddy!!!1 I was psyched and ready to go. Well I am hoping all goes well this year. We'll see. My topic is good so fingers crossed on this one.

I hope you succeed this round! 

I still can't believe they actually take grants away...

Hi everyone, I'm a rising senior planning on applying for an ETA! I was wondering if any former/current ETAs (or prospective applicants with the same problem!) have any advice on choosing a country.  I've already narrowed down my options based on teaching environments, language requirements, etc., but I'm having a hard time deciding between the remaining countries on my list. On the one hand, I am strongly considering applying to Ukraine. My mom's family emigrated from there after WWII, and I think it would be amazing to spread American English and culture while also learning more about my own culture. On the other hand, my Ukrainian language skills aren't great, I don't speak any Russian, and my academic background is more focused on Latin America; I studied abroad in Argentina, I speak Spanish and Portuguese, and most of my experience teaching ESL has been with native Spanish speakers.

Essentially, I feel like I could write a stronger Statement of Purpose for a country like Uruguay, but a stronger Personal Statement for Ukraine; I guess it's a "head vs. heart" kind of dilemma. If anyone has any advice on which route I should take, I would love to hear it!

Hi everyone, I'm a rising senior planning on applying for an ETA! I was wondering if any former/current ETAs (or prospective applicants with the same problem!) have any advice on choosing a country.  I've already narrowed down my options based on teaching environments, language requirements, etc., but I'm having a hard time deciding between the remaining countries on my list. On the one hand, I am strongly considering applying to Ukraine. My mom's family emigrated from there after WWII, and I think it would be amazing to spread American English and culture while also learning more about my own culture. On the other hand, my Ukrainian language skills aren't great, I don't speak any Russian, and my academic background is more focused on Latin America; I studied abroad in Argentina, I speak Spanish and Portuguese, and most of my experience teaching ESL has been with native Spanish speakers.

Essentially, I feel like I could write a stronger Statement of Purpose for a country like Uruguay, but a stronger Personal Statement for Ukraine; I guess it's a "head vs. heart" kind of dilemma. If anyone has any advice on which route I should take, I would love to hear it!

Hey I'm a rising senior applying for ETA as well! I've been doing tons of research and asking a lot of questions so although I'm not an expert (and obviously not a successful applicant yet) I think I may have some input that you may find helpful. Personally I think you should follow your "heart" (cliche as it sounds). I'm assuming this means Ukraine which you have a more personal connection with, and I think this will actually be helpful in writing both statements. You said " I think it would be amazing to spread American English and culture while also learning more about my own culture."  in Ukraine, and from all the webinars and info sessions I've attended, every single time the speakers always say the biggest goals of the Fulbright program is exactly this: to both share American culture and learn the culture of the country you're living in. I'm sure you can write a strong statement of purpose for Ukraine too, if you're worried start now sending drafts to your school's Fulbright advisors (if they provide essay review service) or if you have friends who won ETA for other countries, or anyone in general. 

From a quick look at the website, Ukraine and Uruguay both offer 2 ETAs (you can find the stats for number of applicants each year somewhere on the website) so from this it looks pretty even. As long as you're not a Ukrainian citizen I think you should definitely apply for Ukraine. Make sure you're sure you aren't a Ukrainian citizen though, because I did not know until a few years ago that I was automatically citizen of my parents' country because they are both citizens, but rules do differ for each country.

Also, I have a friend who was selected as an ETA (for a different country) with a background very similar to yours. Both his parents are immigrants from the country he applied to, and he speaks the language, he's never been there before, and is hoping to learn more about his parents' country through the ETA experience. His area of study was science, so your area of study focusing on Latin America shouldn't be an issue at all, and (from what I've heard) having any previous ESL can only be a bonus!  I think your passion for cultural exchange with Ukraine will show through in your essays. It may not be easy at first to find the right words, but I'm sure you can figure it out, and getting feedback on drafts (or just on ideas of what to write about) will help a lot!

Edited by yayj

I am leaning towards applying for a research grant for Sweden. There are a couple professors who are VERY well known in my field at the same school so that could be an awesome opportunity. I have not contacted them yet but may in the next couple weeks.

If I understand fulbright correctly, basically these professors would get a full time student for free for a year right? Has anyone experienced professors not wanting to take a fulbright student... they would basically be turning down a free worker?

That was quick! I plan to apply for a Full Grant to South America :) hoping for Colombia, unsure about recent security changes there, we'll see...

good luck this go around. we are in it again. I was selected as an  alternate..funny I was promoted to an award to only have it taken away. They cited lack of funding error. Anyhow, will try it again.

Hey I'm a rising senior applying for ETA as well! I've been doing tons of research and asking a lot of questions so although I'm not an expert (and obviously not a successful applicant yet) I think I may have some input that you may find helpful. Personally I think you should follow your "heart" (cliche as it sounds). I'm assuming this means Ukraine which you have a more personal connection with, and I think this will actually be helpful in writing both statements. You said " I think it would be amazing to spread American English and culture while also learning more about my own culture."  in Ukraine, and from all the webinars and info sessions I've attended, every single time the speakers always say the biggest goals of the Fulbright program is exactly this: to both share American culture and learn the culture of the country you're living in. I'm sure you can write a strong statement of purpose for Ukraine too, if you're worried start now sending drafts to your school's Fulbright advisors (if they provide essay review service) or if you have friends who won ETA for other countries, or anyone in general. 

From a quick look at the website, Ukraine and Uruguay both offer 2 ETAs (you can find the stats for number of applicants each year somewhere on the website) so from this it looks pretty even. As long as you're not a Ukrainian citizen I think you should definitely apply for Ukraine. Make sure you're sure you aren't a Ukrainian citizen though, because I did not know until a few years ago that I was automatically citizen of my parents' country because they are both citizens, but rules do differ for each country.

Also, I have a friend who was selected as an ETA (for a different country) with a background very similar to yours. Both his parents are immigrants from the country he applied to, and he speaks the language, he's never been there before, and is hoping to learn more about his parents' country through the ETA experience. His area of study was science, so your area of study focusing on Latin America shouldn't be an issue at all, and (from what I've heard) having any previous ESL can only be a bonus!  I think your passion for cultural exchange with Ukraine will show through in your essays. It may not be easy at first to find the right words, but I'm sure you can figure it out, and getting feedback on drafts (or just on ideas of what to write about) will help a lot!

Thanks so much for the advice! I actually talked to my school's Fulbright advisor yesterday, and after I explained my situation, she said it sounded like I could make a strong case either way and that it really comes down to personal preference. Looks like I have a decision to make!

Hey all, just throwing myself into the mix ... 

I am nearing the end of my PhD in Acoustics, thinking of applying for an ETA in a French speaking country (not France, since I have spent a lot of time there for my PhD). 

Any suggestions? - I was thinking Ivory Coast, Morocco, Senegal, etc.

Good luck preparing applications! I am sure I'll comment again if I decide to apply.

Hey again! Yes, I'm doing research, but not "scholar" since I've only been working for not quite three years.  However, I'm now trying to decide whether to stick with Spain, given the fact that I spent 9 months teaching there in 2007-2008 and fear this could hurt my competitiveness in that country...

I didn't know they awarded you the grant and then said there'd be no funding! That's terrible!!! Where were you trying to go again?

I was going to the UK.. Very competitive.. i remember your lawyer background if I'm correct.  The time spent in the country would hinder you, unless you don't make mention of it. What type of research are you looking at doing?

Trying Sweden this year. 

Keep trying! Maybe the 3rd time is the charm. I applied to Norway last year, but  I will switch to Sweden (sorry!) I'm a candidate, so this is my last chance :/