Davis, Fall 2014

GeoDUDE!

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone looking for housing, the new graduate housing complex is currently leasing rooms for 2014-2015. It is about $632 a month for unfurnished rooms, $650 for furnished. The signing fee is $200 plus a $25 application fee. The complex is about a 10-15 minute bike ride to the UC Davis campus and is located along the bus route. It is pretty close to Trader Joes as well.

http://www.housing.ucdavis.edu/housing/apartments-8th-and-wake.asp

Edited by spellbanisher

For anyone looking for housing, the new graduate housing complex is currently leasing rooms for 2014-2015. It is about $632 a month for unfurnished rooms, $650 for furnished. The signing fee is $200 plus a $25 application fee. The complex is about a 10-15 minute bike ride to the UC Davis campus and is located along the bus route. It is pretty close to Trader Joes as well.

http://www.housing.ucdavis.edu/housing/apartments-8th-and-wake.asp

Thanks, I think i'll sign a lease there. I'll call them tomorrow. That means its in north davis since its near trader joes ?  

Edited by GeoDUDE!

Thanks, I think i'll sign a lease there. I'll call them tomorrow. That means its in north davis since its near trader joes ?

Trader Joe's is at the university mall, which is in central Davis. The apartment complex is 0.4 miles from the university mall and 1.4 miles from the Davis campus.

For anyone who didn't find their way to the website, here are the amenities

8th and Wake will be leased by bedroom with both furnished and unfurnished options. Each unit will house four Graduate Students across 4 bedrooms and 2 bathroom. All units include a washer and dryer, dishwasher, garbage disposal, refrigerator, microwave, granite counters, and living room and kitchen furniture.

It also has a study lounge with free wifi, conference rooms, community computers and printing, energy efficient appliances, and is located along the c bus line to the campus.

When i was touring the complex, the leasing agent said that the walls had sound beams(or something like that) which disperse sound.

Edited by spellbanisher

so internet is not provided (i guess thats asking too much for the price)? Basically its rent + electric, water, internet ?

I'm guessing wifi is not provided if they are advertising that it is free in the lounge, but i've sent an email to the leasing agent for clarification. Edited by spellbanisher

I'm guessing wifi is not provided if they are advertising that it is free in the lounge, but i've sent an email to the leasing agent for clarification.

Cool, I'm guessing they do individual leases then and roommate match people? 

Cool, I'm guessing they do individual leases then and roommate match people?

You can request specific roommates when you sign the lease. The apartment application also has you list preferences, such as same or mixed gender apartments, which room you want (a,b,c,d configuration), and which floor you prefer. There might have been a few other things, but i pretty much had no preference. However, the application is not that extensive, so if you had any particular preferences you would have to ask the leasing office. Before I signed the lease the agent selected an apartment and room for me.

I should add that for a limited time they are offering signing bonuses. For me, the leasing agent waived the $18 a month fee for the furnished room. I also got an email yesterday from my graduate coordinator saying that they were offering $100 off the first months rent for leases signed before June 1, although that might only be for those who come in with a referral.

Just heard back from the leasing agent. She wrote

Unfortunately, it is only free in the study lounge. Each room will be wired for cable and internet, so you can chose to have your own access or split it with your housemates to cut costs.

Edited by spellbanisher

Hey,

I'm a current grad student in Civil Engineering at Davis now. I'm looking to fill the second bedroom in my duplex. It has a washer/dryer, dishwasher, awesome backyard, carport, etc. It's about 1.5 miles to campus. Message me if you're interested.

Thanks!

attending Davis this fall for PhD in anthropology- looking for a place to live! message me if you have any suggestions!

I'm attending for sociology :) our departments are very close (even housed in the same building) so I'm sure I'll see you around!

I'm attending for sociology :) our departments are very close (even housed in the same building) so I'm sure I'll see you around!

I don't think the anthropology department is located in the death star. Edited by spellbanisher

I don't think the anthropology department is located in the death star.

Oh I was under the impression it was. When we had recruitment day I could've sworn the building said both anthro and soc on the door. Anyway, I know for sure we have the same graduate program coordinator.

Where are you living now, the Alaskan wilderness? :P

Carbondale IL, nearest airport is 2 hours away.  biggest town in Southern Illinois, and its like 30k. real culture shock when I grew up in LA and did UG in Boston.

Also, what is the death star? I think the only place i remember well is south campus, near Earth and Physical Sciences building.

Edited by GeoDUDE!

Also, what is the death star? I think the only place i remember well is south campus, near Earth and Physical Sciences building.

The Social Sciences and Humanities Building (SOCSCI), designed by Southwest architect [WWW]Antoine Predock, is a complex, five-storied, maze-like building of classrooms, labs, and offices. SSH 2203, the "Andrews Room", is the main conference room (max. occupancy 49).

It is commonly referred to as the Death Star by students because of its shiny metallic appearance from the outside (reminiscent of the Death Star from Star Wars), as well as the fact that architecturally it is such a maze. The glassed-in catwalk between the two center wings is just begging for a lightsaber duel.

http://daviswiki.org/social_sciences_and_humanities_building Edited by spellbanisher