Davis, Fall 2014

GeoDUDE!

Has anyone received an offer from the office of financial aid yet?

No I haven't, but my understanding is that your department handles your financial aid. I got my official offer from the department. 

No I haven't, but my understanding is that your department handles your financial aid. I got my official offer from the department.

There is the department funding package, which consists of the stipend, research moneys, fellowships, and fee waivers, and then there is the offer from the financial aid office, which consists of graduate plus and direct unsubsidized loans. The research moneys in my department funding package are reimbursement, so I will need to take out a small loan.

A few months back I accepted an offer from another school but rescinded it. However, a couple weeks ago I got an offer from that schools financial aid office, and I'm worried that it could prevent me from getting an offer from the Davis financial aid office.

Edited by spellbanisher

There is the department funding package, which consists of the stipend, research moneys, fellowships, and fee waivers, and then there is the offer from the financial aid office, which consists of graduate plus and direct unsubsidized loans. The research moneys in my department funding package are reimbursement, so I will need to take out a small loan.

A few months back I accepted an offer from another school but rescinded it. However, a couple weeks ago I got an offer from that schools financial aid office, and I'm worried that it could prevent me from getting an offer from the Davis financial aid office.

I see, I would call them, that makes sense. 

I got my financial aid offer (additional to my department aid) a few weeks ago. Consisted of loans and one fee waiver (not sure what it was exactly for though).

A teaching assistantship only covers about 85% of the fees, so the fee waiver might be for that. For quarters where you work as a reader (which covers all fees) or have some other form of aid which covers fees, the funds for the fee waiver will probably be rescinded. 

Edited by spellbanisher

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys!

So I may be late to this thread, but I will be attending UC Davis for the Immunology program in Fall 2014.  Fortunately, I already have made my living arrangements as I will be living at West Village.  I know it's pretty expensive to rent there, but at least it's completely furnished and all utilities are covered by rent (even internet).  I'm looking forward to moving in and starting the program soon!  I've noticed that a lot of us here are going to different departments, but it is a pleasure to meet you all! :)

Hey guys!

So I may be late to this thread, but I will be attending UC Davis for the Immunology program in Fall 2014.  Fortunately, I already have made my living arrangements as I will be living at West Village.  I know it's pretty expensive to rent there, but at least it's completely furnished and all utilities are covered by rent (even internet).  I'm looking forward to moving in and starting the program soon!  I've noticed that a lot of us here are going to different departments, but it is a pleasure to meet you all! :)

Hello, and welcome!

How many of the Fall 2014 admits in this thread will be going to GSA events/WoW? I'm sure we'll meet each other at some point (even if we don't know it).

I won't be moving up there until mid-September from Orange County.  However, I should be there in time for the WoW events, so I may be at some of the things going on at that time.  For now, I'm just enjoying my summer and doing the things I want to do before I head up north. :P

I was planning to do all the WoW stuff but I just looked at the program from last year and there are really only a few events I might want to attend. My department does its own orientation as well. I don't think I want to have 10 days of orientation. That seems excessive. If they'll let me attend only a few I might attend those I'm interested in, though.

So why are some of you moving up there so early?  I believe classes don't start until early October if I am not mistaken.  Also, yeah I believe our departments/programs do their own sort of orientation as I was informed by my program coordinator that we will have our own sort of event.

So why are some of you moving up there so early?  I believe classes don't start until early October if I am not mistaken.  Also, yeah I believe our departments/programs do their own sort of orientation as I was informed by my program coordinator that we will have our own sort of event.

Well my lease starts September 1st, as I think a lot in Davis do. Some of my cohort is even moving in this Friday because their leases start August 1st. None of the apartments I was looking at had move-in dates in the middle of the month. It doesn't make sense for me financially to pay 2 rents in September so I'm moving there as soon as my lease starts.

Yeah, my lease starts sept 1st; I'll probably start working on my prospectus once I get there. Also my dept has a camping trip icebreaker in mid september, so thats another reason to go. Professors are around during the summer, nothing like getting your initial research organized before classes start: you will have less time than you think during the year! Personally I don't find doing 3-4 hours of work a day very stressful, and doing that for 1-2 weeks before it starts makes a big difference for the rest of the semester/quarter.

Well my lease starts September 1st, as I think a lot in Davis do. Some of my cohort is even moving in this Friday because their leases start August 1st. None of the apartments I was looking at had move-in dates in the middle of the month. It doesn't make sense for me financially to pay 2 rents in September so I'm moving there as soon as my lease starts.

Oh yeah that's right.  Mine doesn't start until September 14, but I forgot that a lot of the leases over in Davis/Sacramento start in early September or August.  That explains it then.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! I'm going to be starting the Microbiology PhD program at UC Davis this fall. Pretty excited about this new step in my life. I've been looking at the WOW schedule and will probably only go to a few of the nitty-gritty events, like library resources and how the health insurance program works. I'm not much for mixers; I just feel too awkward at those kind of events.

I also have a house in Woodland (about a 10 minutes drive from Davis) and am looking for a roommate. PM if you would like more info.

Hey guys! I'm going to be starting the Microbiology PhD program at UC Davis this fall. Pretty excited about this new step in my life. I've been looking at the WOW schedule and will probably only go to a few of the nitty-gritty events, like library resources and how the health insurance program works. I'm not much for mixers; I just feel too awkward at those kind of events.

I also have a house in Woodland (about a 10 minutes drive from Davis) and am looking for a roommate. PM if you would like more info.

Hey there!  I noticed that you were interviewed at UCI for the CMB program.  I'm sure you must have met the Frumanator as he is the chair and director of that program :P.  Anyway, I'm pretty much on the same boat as you as I will only be attending the events I will find helpful for me.   

Same about the WoW events. My roomie and I will be at the library resources, SHIP, and financial aid events, plus the ones with free food (wine & cheese, ice cream social, etc.) because, well, free food.

Hello everyone!

I'm pretty late to this but I will be attending UCD in the Fall for the Epidemiology PhD program. I have to say I'm pretty nervous about everything. This is a lot of change for me at one time so I'm hoping meeting new people will help :) So, just wanted to say Hi!