Davis, Fall 2014

GeoDUDE!

I've decided not to do the WoW events; I'll just be one of those assholes who doesn't know how to do simple stuff and have to ask in the future =). I dont really think ill be using the library anyway!

Hey there!  I noticed that you were interviewed at UCI for the CMB program.  I'm sure you must have met the Frumanator as he is the chair and director of that program :P.  Anyway, I'm pretty much on the same boat as you as I will only be attending the events I will find helpful for me.   

Haha. I did meet the Frumanator, although I was utterly unaware that that was a name people called him. I liked UCI and most of the people that I met there, but the research was just not a good fit for me. It's definitely one of those things that you can't always get a good feel for just from looking at faculty pages and reading some of their papers.

As for WOW, I need a new pair of glasses REAL BAD, so my main priority is figuring how to get that process started. The rest of the events I feel pretty "meh" about.

Haha. I did meet the Frumanator, although I was utterly unaware that that was a name people called him. I liked UCI and most of the people that I met there, but the research was just not a good fit for me. It's definitely one of those things that you can't always get a good feel for just from looking at faculty pages and reading some of their papers.

As for WOW, I need a new pair of glasses REAL BAD, so my main priority is figuring how to get that process started. The rest of the events I feel pretty "meh" about.

Ah yeah, that name isn't used around a lot.  I only picked it up from my PI back at UCI when I was doing my undergrad there so I wouldn't imagine that a lot of people would know.

• 4 weeks later...

So how's everybody doing with their new living arrangements?  I'm actually going to be moving in on Sunday so I'll get to see how things are for myself soon.

It's great! 

Though my roommates are a little weird, but I think we will all warm up to eachother. Biking around campus is great!

It's great! 

Though my roommates are a little weird, but I think we will all warm up to eachother. Biking around campus is great!

Haha, hopefully that will be the case for you.  I'll probably end up as one of those people who won't bike around campus since I'll be more busy commuting between Davis and the Sacramento campus. :P

It's great! 

You're in the north building of 8th and Wake, aren't you? I've gone there a few times. Nobody in that building says hi. 

Anyways, I've enjoyed biking around Davis. So far I've done the Davis bike loop, gone over the causeway to West Sacramento, down Russell past the avenue of trees, and explored the Covell greenbelt. My favorite area is West Davis, especially the pond area behind Aspen Village. 

Edited by spellbanisher

You're in the north building of 8th and Wake, aren't you? I've gone there a few times. Nobody in that building says hi. 

Anyways, I've enjoyed biking around Davis. So far I've done the Davis bike loop, gone over the causeway to West Sacramento, down Russell past the avenue of trees, and explored the Covell greenbelt. My favorite area is West Davis, especially the pond area behind Aspen Village. 

I am! how did you know ? I never see anyone....

There are a lot of international students here right now, so I think they are a bit shy. I'm not sure. 

I am! how did you know ? I never see anyone....

There are a lot of international students here right now, so I think they are a bit shy. I'm not sure. 

You don't know who I am, but I know who you are. Mwahahaha!!!

Most of the September move-ins are in the North building, so I just assumed. South building is like three-fourths law students. Well, that's probably not true anymore because the third floor is all September move-ins, but in August it seemed like almost every person I met was in law school. First week a lot of people would come down and play pool, but the law students have formed their own cliques and go to bars and parties all the time. In one week my law school roommate got hammered 5 nights in a row. 

Edited by spellbanisher

I live in West Davis and I'm loving it so far. It'd be nice if I lived closer to campus but I've been here almost 2 weeks (woah, what?!) and my complex has been VERY quiet, which I appreciate. I can barely tell I have neighbors.

BTW, where does everyone go out during the week?! My birthday was Tuesday and we ended up at Sophia's for trivia night (even though we had no idea what was going on). It seemed like the rest of downtown was dead.

I live in West Davis and I'm loving it so far. It'd be nice if I lived closer to campus but I've been here almost 2 weeks (woah, what?!) and my complex has been VERY quiet, which I appreciate. I can barely tell I have neighbors.

BTW, where does everyone go out during the week?! My birthday was Tuesday and we ended up at Sophia's for trivia night (even though we had no idea what was going on). It seemed like the rest of downtown was dead.

I forget the bars we end up going to; UB seems to be fairly busy every night though. 

Keep in mind that Davis in general is pretty dead during the summer. 

Edited by spellbanisher

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone WOWed this week?  ^_^

Haha, I couldn't go to a whole lot of events.  The only day I actually attended anything was Monday since I already have started working in my first laboratory rotation. :D