Fall 2014 PhD Programs

I must admit that I’ve been watching this thread since it opened. I created an account so I could ask for some help.

I applied to the University of Cincinnati’s CJ program and I haven’t heard from anyone. I know they only started looking at applications a few weeks ago, but apparently someone already got accepted on February 1st. I haven’t even heard if they do interviews or not. If anyone else applied there please keep us updated in this thread. I’d like to know what to expect from the committee. Don’t worry about competition from me. I’m not a top contender.

Thanks for all the information so far. Good luck!

Congratulations thom4004! I also got a phone call accepting me into USF! I'm very grateful and excited. I'm looking forward to their funding offer as that will likely be the single most important factor on which school I choose.

I just got a voicemail and follow-up email from USF tonight. I was accepted! They are making funding decisions in the next few weeks. I feel so much better. I only applied to 2 schools so now I know I am going somewhere in the fall (depending on funding)!

Congrats!  I received the acceptance voicemail and follow up email from USF on Wed as well . . . after spending an hour and a half out shoveling snow.  Now just to worry about funding . . . hopefully it's not too long of a wait.  After all this snow and cold, I just might be sold if I get funding there.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. They were asking me results of a paper I am co-authoring, but my professor hadn't sent me the analysis yet (even though he said he was going to that week). I was like "uhhhhh, I'm not quite sure yet.." Haha. Anyway, I heard you are allowed one "I don't know". I think my interview went pretty okay other than that. I'm not sure my research interests are quite compatible though because I would really like to do biosocial research. 

I was visiting FSU the other day. I'm nervous because they are one of the few programs that accept quite a few students, but they only fund about 5 of them. I was told that I have a good chance, so fingers crossed. Even though they are known for being good about finding funding once you are in, it would be hard to go into a program when funding isn't promised. 

it's great that you've got offer from somewhere else. maybe after you got the results this week, you could send a follow-up e-mail to albany to explain~~

Hey 1415dr,

Cincinnati is likely my first choice and I too was spooked by that individual acceptance. I imagine they are a little delayed by all of the days off they have had from the weather recently. I'm afraid to be a bother and ask them when we will here something so I instead check the results listings like a maniac. Hopefully we will find out soon!

I'm guessing the funding for USF will be about 15k. I'm not sure about the cost of living for Tampa so I'm not sure how to feel about that. I'm certainly appreciative of the offer (if it is offered) but I will be very interested in other school's offers as well as schools like Cincinnati should have a relatively low cost of living. I'm really excited about the program at USF but am not sure about making ends meet without taking out significant loans.

Frank&Stein

Good luck with Cincinnati! I've been there several times. It's a great school. They haven't updated thier FAQs in years, but they have one webpage that says they do a wave of acceptances every two weeks. So maybe we'll hear back eventually. I'm not going to beat myself up if I don't get accepted to UC, but I really hope they call me in for an interview so I know that I have a chance. A flat-out rejection would screw with my mind.

Good luck!

Is that unconventional? I think that's awesome and I know quite a few individuals that have gone this route. Best of luck to you! :)

I'm relieved a bit by this information! I was told since I don't have any research experience or a masters degree that I was an unconventional applicant. I must have done something right because today USF offered me an assistantship worth $15,000 a year and a tuition waiver. I can breathe much easier now! 

I'm relieved a bit by this information! I was told since I don't have any research experience or a masters degree that I was an unconventional applicant. I must have done something right because today USF offered me an assistantship worth $15,000 a year and a tuition waiver. I can breathe much easier now! 

Awesome news! Congrats :)

Guest criminologist

I applied to Maryland, South Carolina, and FSU

My stats:

3.87 undergrad GPA in criminology (ACC university)

4.0 Masters GPA in CJ (Big 10 university)

1 CJ research-based internship in college

GRE scores: 156Q, 156V, 4.5 AW

my GRE scores are about average for the top programs (312) though I am only applying to one top program. Also don't have research experience other than an internship in college. My MS program was from a respected CJ school (MSU) but terminal and not thesis based. however having an MA/MS isn't required for entry to doctoral programs I applied to.

Question for people who applied to FSU and got accepted, when did you submit your application?

Edited by gz390

I received a phone call earlier today letting me know that I've been admitted to Old Dominion University with full funding (tuition & fees waived and approximately $15,000 a year).  I'll have to wait on several other offers but, of all the programs I looked at and discussed with faculty, it best fits my research interests so I'm definitely excited!

I applied to Maryland, South Carolina, and FSU

My stats:

3.87 undergrad GPA in criminology (ACC university)

4.0 Masters GPA in CJ (Big 10 university)

1 CJ research-based internship in college

GRE scores: 156Q, 156V, 4.5 AW

my GRE scores are about average for the top programs (312) though I am only applying to one top program. Also don't have research experience other than an internship in college. My MS program was from a respected CJ school (MSU) but terminal and not thesis based. however having an MA/MS isn't required for entry to doctoral programs I applied to.

Question for people who applied to FSU and got accepted, when did you submit your application?

I'm in almost the same boat as you (but I have a much lower undergrad GPA). I didn't apply to FSU, but I'm pretty sure they consider a terminal MS the same as a thesis. The only difference is they like to have your thesis as a writing sample. If you have a demonstration project they might count that as the same.

Good luck.

Guest criminologist

I'm in almost the same boat as you (but I have a much lower undergrad GPA). I didn't apply to FSU, but I'm pretty sure they consider a terminal MS the same as a thesis. The only difference is they like to have your thesis as a writing sample. If you have a demonstration project they might count that as the same.

Good luck.

True but i imagine that most people who are applying would not be able to use their thesis as the writing sample since they would still be in school at the time of applying and therefore it would not be complete or started on. hopefully it should not be a big deal as long as the writing sample is very good. I received A+ from full professors on the ones I submitted which were term research papers and they counted a large portion of my grade. 

Thanks

Edited by gz390

True but i imagine that most people who are applying would not be able to use their thesis as the writing sample since they would still be in school at the time of applying and therefore it would not be complete or started on. hopefully it should not be a big deal as long as the writing sample is very good. I received A+ from full professors on the ones I submitted which were term research papers and they counted a large portion of my grade. 

Thanks

Good point.  I didn't think about that. I waited a year between graduating and applying. There's so much that goes into this process. I can't wrap my head around it.

Guest criminologist

Well I just got an email from FSU saying I was accepted,hopefully the other 2 schools send notifications soon. FSU required a thesis paper or project as part of the application but I only submitted a research paper for a course.

Edited by gz390

Well I just got an email from FSU saying I was accepted,hopefully the other 2 schools send notifications soon. FSU required a thesis paper or project as part of the application but I only submitted a research paper for a course.

Congratulations!

Guest criminologist

I'm glad I'm not the only one. They were asking me results of a paper I am co-authoring, but my professor hadn't sent me the analysis yet (even though he said he was going to that week). I was like "uhhhhh, I'm not quite sure yet.." Haha. Anyway, I heard you are allowed one "I don't know". I think my interview went pretty okay other than that. I'm not sure my research interests are quite compatible though because I would really like to do biosocial research. 

I was visiting FSU the other day. I'm nervous because they are one of the few programs that accept quite a few students, but they only fund about 5 of them. I was told that I have a good chance, so fingers crossed. Even though they are known for being good about finding funding once you are in, it would be hard to go into a program when funding isn't promised. 

Yeah unfortunately I didn't get funding from FSU. I  saw on their website that they accept a ton of students but did not know they only fund a few of them.I think it is because I wasn't a great fit or my GRE scores were not high enough.

Guest criminologist

When you go online to the supplemental form, there is a link to check your status. I don't think it would have changed. I don't know where that random post on the result section came from...

Yeah I don't think they have sent any results yet it sure is taking a while wasn't the deadline in early december? I believe they would email you first with the letter.

Did you get funding at any programs? FSU said they only funded 12% of admitted applicants this year so its true they accept many but only fund a few of them. They have a lot of PhD students so I am surprised so many go there without funding .

Edited by gz390