Fall 2014 PhD Programs

I know that a few other members indicated that they had also applied to American University.  I happened the check their website today and they had made my admission decision available.  I've been admitted with funding (a tuition waiver and $20,000 a year stipend).

Oh, thanks for checking. I just checked, and I got in, too!

The program at American is a little different because it seems to have evolved from a PhD in law, rather than from a Masters in law enforcement (i.e., police work). For example, it is called Justice, Law, and Criminology and is housed in the School of Public Affairs rather than the Social Science department. I wonder if that emphasis on law might lead to different types of job opportunities in law schools or elsewhere... Anyhow, I'm excited to have options!

Oh, thanks for checking. I just checked, and I got in, too!

The program at American is a little different because it seems to have evolved from a PhD in law, rather than from a Masters in law enforcement (i.e., police work). For example, it is called Justice, Law, and Criminology and is housed in the School of Public Affairs rather than the Social Science department. I wonder if that emphasis on law might lead to different types of job opportunities in law schools or elsewhere... Anyhow, I'm excited to have options!

Congrats!  It's definitely very exciting.  I actually contacted the program to arrange a visit for next month.

Part of the reason I applied to American was because the program is different.  Having my Bachelor's in Legal Studies, I like the emphasis on law and justice in addition to criminology.  It's also a great fit for my research interests.  The only real downside to the offer is cost of living in Washington, D.C.

Guest criminologist

I just got a phone call from South Carolina accepting me into their program! :)

Same here I got a call yesterday and they offered funding 

Guest criminologist

So no one here who has applied to Maryland has heard anything about whether they were accepted/rejected yet, anyone heard from the department when they might send decisions? Thanks.

Edited by gz390

No one has heard from Maryland's Crim J program yet. Based on previous responses in the results search, I think we can expect answers within the next 1-2 weeks. Though, they were also recently hacked and there is no telling how that might delay admissions decisions. 

Guest criminologist

No one has heard from Maryland's Crim J program yet. Based on previous responses in the results search, I think we can expect answers within the next 1-2 weeks. Though, they were also recently hacked and there is no telling how that might delay admissions decisions. 

Yeah its ironic the school with the best Criminology and Criminal Justice program in the country was a victim of a cyber crime.

So far my funding offers have been a bit underwhelming and even though I am grateful for the opportunities I'm starting to have second thoughts. I think being a professor is an evolving profession where getting tenure is becoming extinct. That said, I think criminal justice/criminology is a growing field that is not (yet) saturated by PhD graduates.

What do you think our chances are of getting a full time position after graduating? Are you expecting to have to be an adjunct for a few years before getting a full time position?

I'm not just in this for the money. I'm not picking a PhD program because it pays the most and I'm not wanting to be a professor because I want to be rich. I do however value job security and there are plenty of online resources that strongly advise against getting your PhD. I'm not getting my PhD to not have simple things like medical benefits. So I'm curious what you guys think!

I've heard professors say that criminology is a growing field, and there are a lot of schools adding and expanding criminology departments. So, there should be a good job market (supposedly). I would like to think there is a good chance to get a full time position after graduating, but who knows. I also can't speak much to the professor as an evolving profession, although I have heard talk about tenure becoming extinct. 

I haven't really done much research on it. I just decided it's what I want to do and never really looked back. 

If it's what you want to do, I wouldn't worry about it. I feel like if you are passionate about what you do, it will work out. If you are unsure, I would reevaluate and see with what you come up with. 

If you're committed to a tenure track job in a research institution, I don't think it is impossible in Crim, because it *is* a growing field, but I do think you have to be realistic about where those tenure track jobs are going to be. There are only 30 or so Crim PhD programs, after all, and lots of competition. Of course, there are also non-research institutions, and sociology departments. And jobs outside of academia. But it's a young field, so it could change in 5 years (maybe?).

Edited by grrlfriend

Guest criminologist

Has anyone tried getting their decision from maryland by emailing the program ? I saw on the results page 

I can't claim Maryland but I did get an email from UT Dallas accepting me into their program! I'm most excited because of a few of their professors and my research interests are a great fit. Their program is scheduled for 3 years and this is also very attractive for me.

Does anyone have an opinion on UT Dallas' PhD program for criminology?

Guest criminologist

Congrats...did you check your status online yet and what did it say?

Did you get funding as well?

Thanks!

When I checked last, it just said it was complete. I have no idea about funding. I'm sure it will be in the letter, but I haven't receiced it yet. I was told "Oh... I was told they should have been received by now... I suppose I should call again early next week.."

Guest criminologist

Ok mine also says the same thing, I wonder if they are calling all accepted people today? I still have not heard anything by email, phone or mail.

Edited by gz390