2014 SLP Admissions Thread

I also am really curious as to why not all acceptances/waitlists go out at the same time. I have seen a handful of people receiving responses to schools that I applied to and I'm wondering why I have recevied no communication as of yet or why there is no change on the portal. Is no news, good news? I suppose I expected that all of their acceptances would go out on the same day and not trickle in as it appears they are doing. Also, if they have already notified the accepted students, why can't they just go ahead and let those of us leftover know if we are waitlisted or not! Could it be that acceptances go out in the order the applications came in? I don't get this process at all...I feel crazy!!

@arthritiskid By the looks of my classmates' twitter accounts, it seems like we aren't the only ones! We're hooked. (my computer wouldn't let me quote your post! Booooo)

I think that the whole technology aspect of it is almost worse because of the constant ability to refresh, whereas with postal mail comes once a day and then phone calls are incoming! Oh well, I guess technology comes with it's disadvantages in this process! I am super thankful that I don't have to wait for postal mail though!

I also am really curious as to why not all acceptances/waitlists go out at the same time. I have seen a handful of people receiving responses to schools that I applied to and I'm wondering why I have recevied no communication as of yet or why there is no change on the portal. Is no news, good news? I suppose I expected that all of their acceptances would go out on the same day and not trickle in as it appears they are doing. Also, if they have already notified the accepted students, why can't they just go ahead and let those of us leftover know if we are waitlisted or not! Could it be that acceptances go out in the order the applications came in? I don't get this process at all...I feel crazy!!

It goes out in waves. They pick out their tops first, send them notifications... let a few of them reject the offer. Accept their medium in a second wave to fill up those spots, let a few reject the offer and so on and so on. I have been accepted to a school a week after the first wave was given their acceptance notice, so it does happen! I have no clue why they do it this way (perhaps, to torture us more?). As long as you don't get a rejection flat out, since they usually send those out first, you are somewhere in the running!

I think that the whole technology aspect of it is almost worse because of the constant ability to refresh, whereas with postal mail comes once a day and then phone calls are incoming! Oh well, I guess technology comes with it's disadvantages in this process! I am super thankful that I don't have to wait for postal mail though!

Ahhhh, I have at least 2 snail mail notifications. I swear I walk my legs off daily stalking the mail man...

Ahhhh, I have at least 2 snail mail notifications. I swear I walk my legs off daily stalking the mail man...

One of my schools said they would "snail mail" my acceptance but ended up sending me an email saying I was accepted and to expect my left in the mail. 

One of my schools said they would "snail mail" my acceptance but ended up sending me an email saying I was accepted and to expect my left in the mail.

Oh I pray that I can get that too! This wait is torture..

to the person above, I noticed we were both applying to Appalachian State and Radford.  Do you know when we should expect to hear back from them?

Thanks!

to the person above, I noticed we were both applying to Appalachian State and Radford. Do you know when we should expect to hear back from them?

Thanks!

If I've stalked correctly, Radford's should be after their spring break or during, which is next week. I know they required the fellowship application email to be submitted no later than yesterday.

As for App State, it looks as if last year they also notified during their spring break. Spring break for this year is the 10-14. So I'm hoping next week for them!!!

Are you in-field or an out-of-field applicant?

I'm so nervous, I can't stand it!

Hi Jnp and fairydust,

I also applied to Radford and I emailed them! They told me we should hear the week of March 7th. What is the fellowship application? Was that something we had to be invited to apply for?

If I've stalked correctly, Radford's should be after their spring break or during, which is next week. I know they required the fellowship application email to be submitted no later than yesterday.

As for App State, it looks as if last year they also notified during their spring break. Spring break for this year is the 10-14. So I'm hoping next week for them!!!

Are you in-field or an out-of-field applicant?

I'm so nervous, I can't stand it!

I'm also applying to Radford! I'm an out of field applicant.

Where did you apply for a fellowship? I never saw an option for that.

_fairydust, madisong, arazi92

fellowship as in grad assistantship?  Yes I did!  I didn't really know what to put on that line where it asked where so I applied as a TA.  I don't remember how I found it but I e-mailed it when I sent in my application.  I am an in-field applicant and this is actually my number one school from all of the awesome things I've heard about it and the huge focus on autism.  I'm so nervous so really hoping for my first acceptance letter!

_fairydust, madisong, arazi92

fellowship as in grad assistantship?  Yes I did!  I didn't really know what to put on that line where it asked where so I applied as a TA.  I don't remember how I found it but I e-mailed it when I sent in my application.  I am an in-field applicant and this is actually my number one school from all of the awesome things I've heard about it and the huge focus on autism.  I'm so nervous so really hoping for my first acceptance letter!

Interesting! Well, good luck to all the Radford people! I think they send letters via snail mail but I'll be on spring break so I might have to wait a few more days even! Oh well!

It goes out in waves. They pick out their tops first, send them notifications... let a few of them reject the offer. Accept their medium in a second wave to fill up those spots, let a few reject the offer and so on and so on. I have been accepted to a school a week after the first wave was given their acceptance notice, so it does happen! I have no clue why they do it this way (perhaps, to torture us more?). As long as you don't get a rejection flat out, since they usually send those out first, you are somewhere in the running!

I suppose it's a good thing then! I'm so excited/nervous! Chapel Hill is my #1 and I'm sure they will not have many people turn them down right away so, that makes the waiting game worse! I'm so happy for this forum though, knowing that I'm certainly not the only one!

Hi guys! I've never posted on here before, I usually just come here to read. I've been seeing some not so great things written about one of the schools I'm applying to on the main Speech Pathology page (idk what to call it lol). The people writing these things claim to be first year grad students and they are basically saying that the program is run really bad and what not. Does anybody know anything about the Speech Pathology program at Syracuse? I took a tour and had an interview and it has been one of my top choices, so I am hoping someone could shed some light on the program a bit! Thanks and good luck to all of you! :)  

I'm also applying to Radford! I'm an out of field applicant.

Where did you apply for a fellowship? I never saw an option for that.

No it wasn't on the supplemental application or anything. They sent out an email a couple weeks ago for the Scottish rite fellowship, I assumed everyone got it, but maybe only in-state students received the email.

No it wasn't on the supplemental application or anything. They sent out an email a couple weeks ago for the Scottish rite fellowship, I assumed everyone got it, but maybe only in-state students received the email.

Yeah I didn't receive anything about that.  Hoping that it's not a bad sign since I didn't receive that e-mail!

Yeah I didn't receive anything about that.  Hoping that it's not a bad sign since I didn't receive that e-mail!

I definitely think you're fine! I'm betting it was for Virginia residents because I know if you received one you're required to work in-state for a year. I wouldn't stress it though!

To those applying to Northwestern - did you all receive a confirmation e-mail saying something about decisions coming out mid-March? I am just worried because I know a few people who received that message but I did not! Do you think I should contact them or just forget about it?

To those applying to Northwestern - did you all receive a confirmation e-mail saying something about decisions coming out mid-March? I am just worried because I know a few people who received that message but I did not! Do you think I should contact them or just forget about it?

I didn't get the email either, but I know I got all my documents in...

If you do email them, will you let me know what they say?

I live in a condo with 11 other apartments besides my own, and I am pretty sure my neighbors must think I'm crazy! I've been checking the mail obsessively starting at around 10 o clock every day for the past few weeks ... 

I just want to thank you for posting this. I have been so curious as to how they went about reviewing their applications and sending out decisions in different waves. How do you know all this?

Yeah i also applied to northwestern and didnt get an email so seems like a few people didnt....hopefully not a bad sign

Edited by SLPlovin