2014 SLP Admissions Thread

My husband declined FHSU today, and accepted at UCA. We're still waiting to hear back from SJSU, but the odds there aren't good and we both felt that accepting at UCA is the better move here for a variety of reasons (finances being at the forefront).

So surreal. After last year, neither of us imagined that he would be the one rejecting a school. He's definitely nervous about turning down a school before he has a hundred reassurances that UCA won't turn him down at the last minute, but I relayed some of the similar nerves here and I think it helped knowing that others in similar situations are having the same anxious thoughts. :)

Congrats to your husband and YOU!! I haven't accepted yet, but I think I'll be accepting next week (unless I get off a waitlist before then)! Congrats again! Now you can start planning!!

Congrats to your husband and YOU!! I haven't accepted yet, but I think I'll be accepting next week (unless I get off a waitlist before then)! Congrats again! Now you can start planning!!

Thank you! And good luck on your waitlists - it'll be quite the wrench if he gets in at PSU after the 15th, but we'll deal with that if it happens, I guess. :) Let's hope that we both get some more specific numbers about the GA after the 15th!

Thank you! And good luck on your waitlists - it'll be quite the wrench if he gets in at PSU after the 15th, but we'll deal with that if it happens, I guess. :) Let's hope that we both get some more specific numbers about the GA after the 15th!

Right! They said GAs may be offered more money after the 15, so that would be great! Good luck :) You two will figure it out either way (PSU, SJSU, UCA)!

Just got accepted to Appalachian State off the Waitlist! 

this is my first acceptance and I am SOOO thrilled to know that I will actually be going to grad school this fall. I still have three schools to hear from, but this is a huge relief!!! 

this is my first acceptance and I am SOOO thrilled to know that I will actually be going to grad school this fall. I still have three schools to hear from, but this is a huge relief!!! 

Great news!! Congrats!

Yay!!!!! Congratulations!!! Very happy for you!

Congrats!!!

CONGRATS, :)

Congrats! isn't it so great to just get one acceptance? It makes a world of difference. Good luck to all those still waiting. Remember it's not over until august!

Great news!! Congrats!

Yay!!!!! Congratulations!!! Very happy for you!

Congrats!!!

CONGRATS, :)

Congrats! isn't it so great to just get one acceptance? It makes a world of difference. Good luck to all those still waiting. Remember it's not over until august!

Thank you all!  

You guys are so awesome, this whole group is so supportive and wonderful!  

Thank you all!  

You guys are so awesome, this whole group is so supportive and wonderful!  

Congrats! I went to Appalachian for my undergrad. Boone is beautiful

I'm finally starting to freak out. So far no great news, I've heard back from eight of my ten schools (two waitlists and six rejections). I get the impression 4/8 and 4/16 are going to be days of reckoning. Hopefully ASU and Easy Bay will bring me good news. I did my undergrad at ASU and was waitlisted at East Bay last year. 

I'm finally starting to freak out. So far no great news, I've heard back from eight of my ten schools (two waitlists and six rejections). I get the impression 4/8 and 4/16 are going to be days of reckoning. Hopefully ASU and Easy Bay will bring me good news. I did my undergrad at ASU and was waitlisted at East Bay last year. 

Keep the faith!  I had exactly 2 wait lists and 6 rejections before my one and only acceptance.  Have you thought about letters of continued interest for those schools where you are wait listed also?  Put your all into and you will be able to say you tried everything!  Hope good news comes 4/8 and 4/16!  :)

Keep the faith!  I had exactly 2 wait lists and 6 rejections before my one and only acceptance.  Have you thought about letters of continued interest for those schools where you are wait listed also?  Put your all into and you will be able to say you tried everything!  Hope good news comes 4/8 and 4/16!   :)

Do you think it would be best to mail a letter of continued interest? or is e-mail appropriate? I'm working on mine tonight... I've been waitlisted at 8 schools. Also does anyone know whether to address it to the dean of admissions, departmental head, or the person who sent the waitlist email/letter?

Edited by pitt123

Keep the faith!  I had exactly 2 wait lists and 6 rejections before my one and only acceptance.  Have you thought about letters of continued interest for those schools where you are wait listed also?  Put your all into and you will be able to say you tried everything!  Hope good news comes 4/8 and 4/16!   :)

Do you think it would be best to mail a letter of continued interest? or is e-mail appropriate? I'm working on mine tonight... I've been waitlisted at 8 schools.

Thanks for the supportive words! Has anyone on here written a LOCI and found a positive result? You're certainly right about leaving it all on the table. 

I'm not sure if anyone on here was at Radford today for the accepted students open house, but if you're considering Radford, I just want you to know that it was an absolutely phenomenal experience! They really blew me away! Message me if you have any questions! 

Thanks for the supportive words! Has anyone on here written a LOCI and found a positive result? You're certainly right about leaving it all on the table. 

Not exactly what you were asking for, but my husband wrote a LOCI to CSU East Bay last year. They got back to him with his rejection by the end of the day. That being said, if you're still in the running, I don't think it hurts at all to write the letter!

@Pitt123 - One way to think of it is like this.....   lets make a comparison to being asked out on a date or even asking someone out on a date. 

1-Good- A text does not take much effort

2-Better- A letter or note on your car/doorstep, etc. shows the guy/girl put a lot of thought and care into it

3-Best- Asking you out in person or asking someone out in person shows the most care/interest

So when doing a LOCI I would think the same applies

1-Good- An email is something standard that all applicants will do and have to do to say they want to stay on the waitlist

2-Better- A letter in the mail shows the school you are really interested and it is something physical that they will have to open and put in your file

3-Best- If possible, making a visit to a school puts face to name and shows extraordinary perseverance

I dunno if that makes sense and we all can't do the 3rd option, so I think a letter would show great interest and possibly bump you up to the front of any waitlist. 

@cnc__  Luckily my wife has spring break this next week and we will be able to visit each program I am waitlisted and accepted to so I can tell you that all 3 schools have told me they appreciate that I am coming to their school to make the best informed decision for me and my family. 

Hope all goes well! :)

Edited by twinguy7

Do you mind if I ask your stats? I got waitlisted at UNC and I'm dying to know if it's because of my stats or what? My GPA isn't the highest but it's not that low either. 

Not at all! I did okay at a good school in undergrad (3.2 from a top-25 college) and then I had only A's and A-'s from USU's 2nd Bachelor program, which was a 3.85. Most universities I talked to only look at the last 60 hours, so that would be about a 3.85 for me (I did better in my final year of college.) My GREs were 700 Verbal, 630 Quantitative, 4.5 Writing. I've been teaching ESL/EFL early learners for 4 years, 2 abroad, which is pretty much what I wrote about in my essays. Anyway I was rejected/waitlisted at the programs that I applied to last year, so don't give up :) I know it's a lousy feeling, but sometimes you just have to wait for your time. 

Our stats are very similar. My last 60 gpa is a little higher too. 3.8-3.9 somewhere in there, 4.0 in CSD but I had only completed a few prereqs at the time of my application. I have about 2.5 year experience working as a case manager and program coordinator for ebd children. That gives me hope that i'm high up on the waiting list!

Not at all! I did okay at a good school in undergrad (3.2 from a top-25 college) and then I had only A's and A-'s from USU's 2nd Bachelor program, which was a 3.85. Most universities I talked to only look at the last 60 hours, so that would be about a 3.85 for me (I did better in my final year of college.) My GREs were 700 Verbal, 630 Quantitative, 4.5 Writing. I've been teaching ESL/EFL early learners for 4 years, 2 abroad, which is pretty much what I wrote about in my essays. Anyway I was rejected/waitlisted at the programs that I applied to last year, so don't give up :) I know it's a lousy feeling, but sometimes you just have to wait for your time. 

And thanks for the words of encouragement!

Well, I was just rejected from UNH. I'm absolutely heartbroken, but maybe it was just meant for me to go to Plattsburgh!

It's too bad I'm at work where there's no alcohol...

Edited by Sammehh