2014 SLP Admissions Thread

So...I just got simultaneously accepted and rejected from Texas State. No, really, I got the emails back to back. Here's the weirdest thing - I actually withdrew my application almost a month ago (accepted elsehwere). After my withdrawal they emailed me saying I had been waitlisted, but all I had to do was not reply to the email to be removed from the waitlist. So, of course, I just waited to be removed as promised and sure enough, that was the email I got today saying that since I hadn't replied I was getting denied...but there was another email saying I was accepted.

What an odd experience overall! Just thought I'd share it with you guys, lol. :)

So...I just got simultaneously accepted and rejected from Texas State. No, really, I got the emails back to back. Here's the weirdest thing - I actually withdrew my application almost a month ago (accepted elsehwere). After my withdrawal they emailed me saying I had been waitlisted, but all I had to do was not reply to the email to be removed from the waitlist. So, of course, I just waited to be removed as promised and sure enough, that was the email I got today saying that since I hadn't replied I was getting denied...but there was another email saying I was accepted.

What an odd experience overall! Just thought I'd share it with you guys, lol. :)

That happened to someone else on here! Maybe I need to reject them in order for them to accept me? What is going on with them. I wonder if the department knows this is happening.

So, just got a very nice phone call from a sweet lady who works in graduate admissions saying that I was not, in fact, accepted and that the email was erroneous. It was a mistake on their part but they're responding to it really well. Either way, though, for me at least it made for a rather amusing experience!

So, just got a very nice phone call from a sweet lady who works in graduate admissions saying that I was not, in fact, accepted and that the email was erroneous. It was a mistake on their part but they're responding to it really well. Either way, though, for me at least it made for a rather amusing experience!

Wait...wth??? This is a joke and I'm just too dense to get the punch line, right???

Edited by PsycD

Nope, it's true. I was removed from the wait list there, but somehow something happened and an acceptance email was sent out along with the removal from waitlist email.

I can take it in stride like this because, well, I already accepted at Florida State, which is my top choice. :D

I was recently accepted to Saint Louis University off of the waiting list! Super excited.

I'm having trouble deciding between SLU and Northern Illinois University. 

Does anyone have any further information or input about either of these schools? Both seem like good matches for the clinical work and research I am interested in.

Hi elldee! I actually went to SLU and visited NIU, applying to both. Im going to another school instead, though. Im guessing you visited Niu's facility, but theirs is remarkably better than SLU's. However, something to think about is location. In STL, theres a wider variety of placements (and more for you to do, socially!) than the rural Dekalb. I think the decision here is more personal preference. Also, from an "insider" perspective.. SLU seems like more of a relaxed atmosphere compared to what I thought seemed more of a professional atmosphere from NIU. Not that SLU is unprofessional by any means, but I frankly seemed somewhat intimidated by NIU.. again, thats just me!! :) hope this helps!!

I just declined at Vanderbilt so someone is going to get offered 65% of tuition there.

This was truly a difficult decision for me, but I didn't feel like there was a wrong choice.

I am very excited to go to UTD and start classes Summer 2014!

I am also excited because I think this post will officially make me "caffeinated" which is always fun. :D

This same thing happened to me. I received a wait list email and I replied to it saying to withdraw my application. They replied saying thank you for letting us know. Then the next day (should've seen the irony when I got this one on April Fools day) got an acceptance email. I replied again saying to withdraw my application. Well I just got a 3rd email which basically said I shouldn't have received either of those and was actually rejected this whole time... umm how hard is it to send correct emails to people?! I'm glad I wasn't actually banking on going to school there (accepted at current university, top choice! hallelujah!) but I just can't get over the fact of how this even happens. How does a program send 2 different decisions to a person who was originally rejected this whole time? I feel terrible for those who actually believe they were accepted or waitlisted and will now realize it was false hope...

I'm very personal with my program's manager and she told us that they purposely took 2 extra days just so they could send EVERY applicant a letter by post to not have any issues like this and that there wouldn't be any one waiting for long periods only to hear they were rejected like most schools do (which is super annoying waiting around just for a rejection!).

This same thing happened to me. I received a wait list email and I replied to it saying to withdraw my application. They replied saying thank you for letting us know. Then the next day (should've seen the irony when I got this one on April Fools day) got an acceptance email. I replied again saying to withdraw my application. Well I just got a 3rd email which basically said I shouldn't have received either of those and was actually rejected this whole time... umm how hard is it to send correct emails to people?! I'm glad I wasn't actually banking on going to school there (accepted at current university, top choice! hallelujah!) but I just can't get over the fact of how this even happens. How does a program send 2 different decisions to a person who was originally rejected this whole time? I feel terrible for those who actually believe they were accepted or waitlisted and will now realize it was false hope...

I'm very personal with my program's manager and she told us that they purposely took 2 extra days just so they could send EVERY applicant a letter by post to not have any issues like this and that there wouldn't be any one waiting for long periods only to hear they were rejected like most schools do (which is super annoying waiting around just for a rejection!).

Oh and I didn't get a phone call like you... Just the "oopsy" email. I have a friend who this same thing happened to and it has been her only "acceptance" so far, but now it's no longer true. So disgusted.

Edited by Missthang

I think the only reason I got a phone call was because I actively sent an email to the grad advisor about it (asking to turn down the offer). I do agree, it's a terrible situation and I feel really bad for your friend. Thankfully this happened late in the game so hopefully most people with these emails had already gotten offers elsewhere.

Oh that's true about probably getting the call because you sent a specific email. I knew something was fishy when I rejected the first time and within 24 hours was suddenly accepted lol

Did you just call admissions when you called? I want to try calling this week. I hvent received any news at all. at this point I don't care the verdict I just want to know!

Yeah I called the lady that gave us her contact info on the interview day. I can't remember what her name was off hand. Donna maybe? I called like 3 weeks ago. I'm just getting kinda frustrated, I mean, I know that they have a big decision to make and lots of apps to go through, but if you're gonna take longer than three weeks to tell people then don't tell them that they'll know within 2-3 weeks on the day of their interview and wait over 6 weeks.. ya know?

Hi elldee! I actually went to SLU and visited NIU, applying to both. Im going to another school instead, though. Im guessing you visited Niu's facility, but theirs is remarkably better than SLU's. However, something to think about is location. In STL, theres a wider variety of placements (and more for you to do, socially!) than the rural Dekalb. I think the decision here is more personal preference. Also, from an "insider" perspective.. SLU seems like more of a relaxed atmosphere compared to what I thought seemed more of a professional atmosphere from NIU. Not that SLU is unprofessional by any means, but I frankly seemed somewhat intimidated by NIU.. again, thats just me!! :) hope this helps!!

I got accepted off the SLU waitlist yesterday and I was worried that it was too professional lol I'm currently at University of Illinois and undergrad here (not sure about grad) has been so relaxed and I love that lol I was worried SLU would be the opposite. I'll likely be accepting since my top choice SIUE I'm still waitlisted at and won't likely hear until after the deadline. 

To the person who posted their acceptance for Pacific University yesterday-

Did you get accepted off the waitlist? And were you contacted via phone/email/mail?

I got accepted off the SLU waitlist yesterday and I was worried that it was too professional lol I'm currently at University of Illinois and undergrad here (not sure about grad) has been so relaxed and I love that lol I was worried SLU would be the opposite. I'll likely be accepting since my top choice SIUE I'm still waitlisted at and won't likely hear until after the deadline.

Oh gosh no all the supervisors at least are friendly and pretty lax! And also I just found out theyre expanding the clinic starting this fall so that will be better!

Does anyone know about SUNY Cortland program?  They have a deadline of July 1st for fall which seems weird because most people by now know where they are going.  Is this a new program?

Does anyone know about SUNY Cortland program?  They have a deadline of July 1st for fall which seems weird because most people by now know where they are going.  Is this a new program?

Yes- it is a new program 

Yes- it is a new program 

oh okay.  Is it starting this fall?

It started last fall, I believe that was the first semester. I know you need all the prerequisites completed by the July 1 deadline, even if you had a COMD degree. I have the degree, but did not have the pre-requisites neural processes/neuropathology or linguistics/psycho-linguistics, so they could not process my application last year. I didn't apply again for this year but I would certainly recommend it!