2014 SLP Admissions Thread

Congrats to everyone accepted, been stalking these forums for awhile but finally decided I should become a poster. Going through all 62 pages of this thread I'm surprised about the lack of discussion of CA schools (at least compared to what I'd expect it to be, considering how competitive it's supposed to be out here). I've taken 2 classes so far in Utah State's second bachelors program and I'll be starting full time in the fall, to be done with prereqs in time to hopefully start grad in Fall of 2015. Just a bit nervous about my chances, considering my lack of experience (volunteer and work-wise, I work full time in an office *yawn* ), not super stellar undergrad GPA, short list of potential LOR-writers (my Linguistics program had ONE PROFESSOR for all upper div courses! and I'm doing my post-bac online), and haven't taken the GRE yet. I am male, obviously, so who knows whether that'll help or not, if they go by purely trying to fill a demographic slot. I'll be applying to several out of state schools, but ideally I get in somewhere in CA as my girlfriend will be applying to CA nursing programs! Any advice for someone in my position to stand out? And I really need to get studying for the GRE!!!

Edited by alecvdpoel

Congrats to everyone accepted, been stalking these forums for awhile but finally decided I should become a poster. Going through all 62 pages of this thread I'm surprised about the lack of discussion of CA schools (at least compared to what I'd expect it to be, considering how competitive it's supposed to be out here). I've taken 2 classes so far in Utah State's second bachelors program and I'll be starting full time in the fall, to be done with prereqs in time to hopefully start grad in Fall of 2015. Just a bit nervous about my chances, considering my lack of experience (volunteer and work-wise, I work full time in an office *yawn* ), not super stellar undergrad GPA, short list of potential LOR-writers (my Linguistics program had ONE PROFESSOR for all upper div courses! and I'm doing my post-bac online), and haven't taken the GRE yet. I am male, obviously, so who knows whether that'll help or not, if they go by purely trying to fill a demographic slot. I'll be applying to several out of state schools, but ideally I get in somewhere in CA as my girlfriend will be applying to CA nursing programs! Any advice for someone in my position to stand out? And I really need to get studying for the GRE!!!

California's so popular it gets its own thread. ;)  Here it is:

Also, my husband is an SLP and he is male...he didn't feel like it made a difference during the application process.  Programs are so competitive that you still need good stats.  

I also took pre-reqs at USU, so let me know if you have any questions.  :)

I was accepted to Idaho State University (Meridian Campus) this afternoon! OMG YAAAAAY! I really didn't think I was going to hear from them again this year. I even started a Spring application to another university last week. I am so happy I can't believe it. A HUGE wave of relief is just rushing over me. The thought of not having to re-apply to grad school and re-take the GRE is amazing!

I got the call while I was out shopping for a kayak and camping gear. I figured I would blow all the money I saved for grad school and just become a beach bum for the rest of my life. Lol! I'm so glad I have a more realistic & stable future now! Hahaha

OHHH...and now I get to go change my signature below. HOORAY!

I was accepted to Idaho State University (Meridian Campus) this afternoon! OMG YAAAAAY! I really didn't think I was going to hear from them again this year. I even started a Spring application to another university last week. I am so happy I can't believe it. A HUGE wave of relief is just rushing over me. The thought of not having to re-apply to grad school and re-take the GRE is amazing!

I got the call while I was out shopping for a kayak and camping gear. I figured I would blow all the money I saved for grad school and just become a beach bum for the rest of my life. Lol! I'm so glad I have a more realistic & stable future now! Hahaha

OHHH...and now I get to go change my signature below. HOORAY!

Yay! I'm so happy for you! 

Congrats!!! I guess you'll be needing to find those classes now, eh? :)

Ugh I found all but one! I'm desperately searching! I'm calling to talk to the program director tomorrow. 

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone!  I'm not sure that anyone looks at this thread anymore, but I figured I would give it a shot (and especially because the people in this thread might have experienced this and know).  I had a question not sure if anyone currently goes to these schools (listed below) or knows anything about them.  This is my second year applying and last year I had applied to 8 schools.  Two of the schools I applied to really only accepted their own undergrad speech students with occasionally one or two students from other schools.  It was frustrating not knowing that and applying to those schools because it was really kind of a waste of time.  I have almost narrowed it down to the schools I will be applying to, so if anyone knows about any of these schools doing the same thing I would really appreciate it. thanks!

Hi everyone!  I'm not sure that anyone looks at this thread anymore, but I figured I would give it a shot (and especially because the people in this thread might have experienced this and know).  I had a question not sure if anyone currently goes to these schools (listed below) or knows anything about them.  This is my second year applying and last year I had applied to 8 schools.  Two of the schools I applied to really only accepted their own undergrad speech students with occasionally one or two students from other schools.  It was frustrating not knowing that and applying to those schools because it was really kind of a waste of time.  I have almost narrowed it down to the schools I will be applying to, so if anyone knows about any of these schools doing the same thing I would really appreciate it. thanks!

Have you viewed these schools' websites to see their averages for the previously admitted cohort? You can also find some of these stats through ASHA EdFind. The smartest move you can make is seeing if you fall within the average for GRE and GPA for the schools before applying, because then you know you have a fair chance of getting in and hopefully your PS, LORs, resume, etc carry the rest of the weight for your application. I only applied to Texas schools and it seems for those (and I'm sure schools in all of the other states would be the same) that you must meet a minimum requirement for GRE score and GPA (some highly emphasize last 60 hrs and major; others look at last 60, major AND cumulative equally) or you're automatically tossed out. Many schools weigh GRE and GPA greater than other schools; other schools weigh all parts of the application equally. Don't be afraid of emailing or calling programs and asking specific questions that you can't get answered from their website.

• 2 months later...

I am really wanting to go to either Louisiana Tech or Stephen F. Austin. Does anyone have any advice on those programs and how "hard it is to get accepted?" What type of GPA/GRE scores should I have?? Thank you!!

• 4 months later...

CONGRATS! :)  You deserve it! :)

Hey Twinguy7 first of all very inspiring thread! I got in with similar marks to a school over in that there new mexico a few years back and am graduating in a bit. How are things going for you at GVSU? Are you on track to graduating in December? Please let us know so that we may continue to be inspired by your perseverance and strength to endure hardships and heartaches to get what you want!!