2014 SLP Admissions Thread

Just got rejected from University of Minnesota :( I'm going to go cry in a corner now.

@lorenzojojo Awwww no I'm sorry :(   Your stats look good so I'm surprised you got a rejection. But I guess that's just the nature of applying to Master's SLP programs... at least you can always try again next Fall

Edited by ladyinwaiting23

Thanks, SLPamy! :)

Just got rejected from University of Minnesota :( I'm going to go cry in a corner now.

Awww!  Keep your chin up.  Are your pre-reqs done?  That might be something to look into to strengthen your app - because the rest of your stats look AMAZING!

That's a total bummer Lorenzojojo. Seriously, don't let it get you down. Well, okay... let it get you down for a month. Cry. Drink wine. Cry while drinking wine. Sleep. Do it again. Do whatever you need. Then...... after that month. Get up and figure out where you want to go from there. You are a super strong candidate! You have 7 years of teaching experience. You have volunteered in the community. Great GRE (way better than me). And a killer GPA! There is a program (if not 100 programs) that wants you. No doubt! If this is really where you are meant to be in life then don't let this ONE rejection stop you. 

So sorry, lorenzojojo. :(

@lorenzojojo Awwww no I'm sorry :(   Your stats look good so I'm surprised you got a rejection. But I guess that's just the nature of applying to Master's SLP programs... at least you can always try again next Fall

Sorry to hear that lorenzojojo. Have you considered applying to schools that have spring admissions? That is going to be my back up plan.

Thanks, SLPamy! :)

Awww!  Keep your chin up.  Are your pre-reqs done?  That might be something to look into to strengthen your app - because the rest of your stats look AMAZING!

Thanks guys :) I really needed to hear stuff like this right now. I knew I was taking a risk when I applied, but it's still disappointing to say the least. I've worked so hard this past year on my application while teaching full time. I will persevere though and pursue other options :) I don't have my pre-reqs done yet. I'm going to e-mail the school tomorrow to see if I can get any insight as to why I was rejected (maybe the pre-reqs was the reason). That might help me take the next steps. Which schools have spring admissions pitt123? Would I be able to apply as a 3 year candidate?

Oh jeez. lorenzojojo!!! I am sorry about University of Minnesota. I'm SURE you'll get accepted somewhere else. Your stats are awesome. Makes me a bit nervous about what my letters are gonna say (eek!  :wacko:) You still have to hear back from Twin Cities though,  right? I am sure it will only be good things :) In your supplement, did you identify any other schools to which you were applying?

That's a total bummer Lorenzojojo. Seriously, don't let it get you down. Well, okay... let it get you down for a month. Cry. Drink wine. Cry while drinking wine. Sleep. Do it again. Do whatever you need. Then...... after that month. Get up and figure out where you want to go from there. You are a super strong candidate! You have 7 years of teaching experience. You have volunteered in the community. Great GRE (way better than me). And a killer GPA! There is a program (if not 100 programs) that wants you. No doubt! If this is really where you are meant to be in life then don't let this ONE rejection stop you. 

Sorry to hear about your rejection, Lorenzojojo! Keep your chin up. Here is a fact that helps me with my rejection(s- there will be more): There are simply not enough spaces to accommodate all the very qualified applicants. As mentioned 145,654,845 times- your stats are stellar. Keep up the good work!

Also, @Impulsive: Cry + wine = best thing I've ever read on this forum. So, so true. 

I'm a classy broad - what can I say? It's a woman's best friend. :D

Sorry to hear about your rejection, Lorenzojojo! Keep your chin up. Here is a fact that helps me with my rejection(s- there will be more): There are simply not enough spaces to accommodate all the very qualified applicants. As mentioned 145,654,845 times- your stats are stellar. Keep up the good work!

Also, @Impulsive: Cry + wine = best thing I've ever read on this forum. So, so true. 

You guys are the best :) Twin Cities was the only program I applied to. I had lofty plans to apply to a bunch of schools, but due to time/money constraints I ended up deciding to just focus my energies on the program I really wanted to go to and see what happened. My husband and I also had to take employment options and living near family into consideration along with my more limited selection of 3 year programs (I have virtually no SLP coursework under my belt...yet). I know I can strengthen my application even more in the next year, pick myself up, and put myself out there again soon. For now, I'm keeping it classy with crying + PBR tonight. I will also be enjoying some wine this weekend for sure ;)

You guys are the best :) Twin Cities was the only program I applied to. I had lofty plans to apply to a bunch of schools, but due to time/money constraints I ended up deciding to just focus my energies on the program I really wanted to go to and see what happened. My husband and I also had to take employment options and living near family into consideration along with my more limited selection of 3 year programs (I have virtually no SLP coursework under my belt...yet). I know I can strengthen my application even more in the next year, pick myself up, and put myself out there again soon. For now, I'm keeping it classy with crying + PBR tonight. I will also be enjoying some wine this weekend for sure ;)

This next year, maybe try getting your prereqs? That way you'd be able to apply to more programs next year. There are a bunch of online post-baccs in CSD that you could do. :)

You would also be able to reframe it as not, I didn't get in to the Master's program, but as I'm going about getting the experience in a different way for the first year of the three, and the other two you'll be in a Master's program.

Just a thought. :)

Edited by autismadvocate

Hey!!

Has anyone had an inteviewed at LIU-Post, Brooklyn College, or St. Rose. I am interviewing there next week. Does anyone have any suggestions for the interviewing process? Any little bit of information would be appreciated. This is my first interview for graduate school and I really do not know what to expect but I want to be prepared.

Thanks!

I know I can strengthen my application even more in the next year, pick myself up, and put myself out there again soon. For now, I'm keeping it classy with crying + PBR tonight. I will also be enjoying some wine this weekend for sure ;)

See this is where the magic happens! Glad to hear.

Waitlisted at St. Louis University. "Application received very positive evaluation but unable to offer admission at this time" It seems they don't accept of the waitlist often. It wasn't my first choice my was hoping for a better first notification! Oh well, two more to go!

Just got officially rejected from BU - I thought it was coming as I didn't even get to interview, but stings nonetheless! 

Fingers crossed for the next 5 options!!!!

Just got officially rejected from BU - I thought it was coming as I didn't even get to interview, but stings nonetheless! 

Aww @LMZ that's too bad.  It's SUPER expensive to go there anyway, so don't let it get to you.  I'm sure you'll have better options elsewhere :)

Just got accepted to BU!!!!!  Did anyone else get an email?

Congratulations!!!! I'm so happy for you! I'm literally shaking in class waiting for my e-mail...

I'm sorry LMZ :( I'm sure you will get in somewhere else!

Atta girl! Stay strong!