Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

8 hours ago, doctormelody said:

As for me, I'm currently exhausted because I've gotten about 8 hours of sleep the past two days. I work an extremely early shift at my current job and oh my God, it is brutal. I'm also sad because I don't like the city I live in (where I will almost certainly be attending grad school) and I miss my home state and my family so much. I really never thought I'd feel like this (when I was a teenager, all I wanted to do was travel and live someplace exciting), and dealing with it is proving a lot harder than I anticipated.

You applied to a school in a city you don't want to live in? I"m sorry you're going through this. I hope you will get another job soon. Although, being busy is one good way to keep yourself off this forum (and results pouring in once in a while) you won't have time to check on your email and so forth.

Either way, I hope everything will turn out the way you want it to be very soon!

3 hours ago, StHoly said:

You applied to a school in a city you don't want to live in? I"m sorry you're going through this. I hope you will get another job soon. Although, being busy is one good way to keep yourself off this forum (and results pouring in once in a while) you won't have time to check on your email and so forth.

Either way, I hope everything will turn out the way you want it to be very soon!

Yeahhhh, it’s complicated. I’m a second cycle applicant and I didn’t get enough money in scholarships to justify attending last year. We’d been looking to move for a while and Pitt has guaranteed admission if you have over a certain GPA and apply by the deadline. I have tried to give it a chance but I just really don’t like it. My boyfriend wants to stay though and we can’t really afford to move again so soon, so I’m stuck. I think it will be better once I start school, but the next 7 months are gonna pass super slowly for sure. Thank you for your kind words, they’re much appreciated. ?

The semester's barely begun but I'm still procrastinating and feel like I have writer's block. It's seriously only a page and I can't handle it. I'm desperately updating Grad Cafe and Reddit to try to find something else to distract me from my work, but I think I'm going to have to buckle down and actually write. Aaaah!

I thought break would refresh me, but I think it killed some brain cells instead.

Okay I am starting to get pretty irritated. I applied to 7 schools, got officially rejected from one and have heard nothing from the rest of them. It has been radio silence. I spent over $900 this season and these schools can't even provide me with a standardized rejection letter? I even emailed to check in on the status of my application and never received a response. I know I wasn't mean or anything in my email, I was very respectful and straight forward, so it can't be that. I don't know whats going on but it has really rubbed me the wrong way :(

Another one I need to vent.. :( My life is not going really well I guess. I need some "good news" to counter my bad. 

Last August we moved out of the house with bad landlord. He then did not send us a deposit (that's required) within 20 days. We contacted him and no response. It seemed like the judge favor him. (I just got back from court today) 

We did not get full deposit either, just $352 out of $1275 because of the "roach infestation" that happened in a 3-storey house and the judge bought it. My partner and I were both working adults, we dont go on the walls and draw on them but the landlord claimed that the wall has to be "cleaned" and "repainted" to be rented to other people

We have never had this problem before and this is what happened on the first place we rent in RI... Upsetting. 

I can't sue back now since the judge ruled in favor of the landlord. I got $352.. 

Edited by StHoly

I have done a thematic analysis (qualitative interviews) and I am at the stage of writing my Results & Discussion chapter. I initially did write a version, but I got the feedback that it was too descriptive, that I needed to analyze more. But I feel like that's for the Discussion section (which neither my supervisor and the person who's giving me feedback read).

I printed all of my interviews again, and am going to analyze them all over again. Apparently, my analysis is not tight enough with NVivo. So I'm trying to do this by hand.

I am just lost and want to cry. I need to submit this in three weeks and I have no idea of what I am doing.

6 hours ago, StHoly said:

Another one I need to vent.. :( My life is not going really well I guess. I need some "good news" to counter my bad. 

Last August we moved out of the house with bad landlord. He then did not send us a deposit (that's required) within 20 days. We contacted him and no response. It seemed like the judge favor him. (I just got back from court today) 

We did not get full deposit either, just $352 out of $1275 because of the "roach infestation" that happened in a 3-storey house and the judge bought it. My partner and I were both working adults, we dont go on the walls and draw on them but the landlord claimed that the wall has to be "cleaned" and "repainted" to be rented to other people

We have never had this problem before and this is what happened on the first place we rent in RI... Upsetting. 

I can't sue back now since the judge ruled in favor of the landlord. I got $352.. 

This is why I always take pictures of the place both when I move in and move out to have 'proof' of what the place was like both when I entered and left (i.e., damages that were already there and not due to me, etc.). You won't be the first nor the last person this happens too.

14 hours ago, Psygeek said:

This is why I always take pictures of the place both when I move in and move out to have 'proof' of what the place was like both when I entered and left (i.e., damages that were already there and not due to me, etc.). You won't be the first nor the last person this happens too.

we did have before and after. But the judge did not even bother to look at my pictures that I provided, sadly. :(  i believe that this won't be the first time they did this as well. The judge also believed that he sent the deposit "within" the time frame. which obviously he didnt.. 

11 hours ago, Moods said:

I just need one school with a great PI to accept me! Just one! Pretty please with a cherry on top! And some sprinkles...

ME TOO!!! ME TOO!! I hope to hear back very soon.. I'll probably give up after January though.. This impostor syndrome of mine is getting out of hand soon. 

14 minutes ago, StHoly said:

ME TOO!!! ME TOO!! I hope to hear back very soon.. I'll probably give up after January though.. This impostor syndrome of mine is getting out of hand soon. 

I just got my first decision last night and it was a rejection, and impostor syndrome is definitely wrapping its familiar arms around me as well

8 minutes ago, phonotactless said:

I just got my first decision last night and it was a rejection, and impostor syndrome is definitely wrapping its familiar arms around me as well

I'm so sorry to hear! :(

I'm feeling annoyed right now. Someone shared an article today about a study that has just been published. It's a great study and is very similar to what I had intended to research for my PhD, but in a different ecosystem. That's not was annoys me, though. What annoys me is that I completely shifted gears after my former advisor and several bird researchers told me that it was a bad idea and too much work for results that might be non-significant. Clearly, it was a good idea.

I'm working on something quite different now and with a new advisor. My research is still exciting and novel, but I'm just so aggravated that so many people crapped on my ideas and made feel like I didn't belong. Ultimately, it's better this way, because my former advisor was a terrible mentor in many ways.

On 12/29/2018 at 5:25 AM, Ciboney said:

You are surrounded by a lot of people with serious problems of communication. Students should explain in private their inability to meet deadlines. Those professors are disorganized and unprofessional as well. Be patient since there is little you can do under those circumstances. I would advise those students to be more responsible and, for the future, I would include in the syllabus the consequences for not handing work as scheduled in the course syllabus or that they MUST talk to you in private about any problems they might have surrounding the work they have to do. 

I actually do put a late assignment blurbs in my syllabus. For this class, it wasn't exceptionally detailed, but did require students to contact me before the deadline if an assignment would be late. Which is why it's so frustrating. 

13 hours ago, ResilientDreams said:

*no significant result

As in, there's no real difference between my conditions the way I had hoped there would be, but that's science I guess. 

Oh ok. But you can definetly explain why it's the case? I don't think you're the first one to whom this happens!

3 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Who is Marie Kondo? lol everybody keeps talking about her, I had never heard of her before last week. 

She's a home organizer and author. She has a netflix show which many people have been watching lately! She also has short, informative videos on youtube.

Edited by TwirlingBlades