Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

So, every single day, my counterparts scream their heads off at children for not understanding grammatical concepts…like that'll inspire confidence. Of course, the children are so used to it that they don't bat an eye. I'll tell you, if anyone ever screamed at me like that when I was a kid I probably would have burst into tears.

My host family keeps a dog chained to a fence during the day and let it loose at night. It ends up running around the yard maniacally, barking all damn night long. I can't remember when the last time I had a restful, anxiety-free night.

And, like many people on this forum, I just want to flipping know already. I did get into one school so far and I am thrilled, but I feel like I can't truly celebrate until I know if funding will come through…until then, I keep saying to people, "Yeah, I was accepted, but…" I really don't know how I made it through the wait last year to hear back from Fulbright…I'm already going crazy.

Edited by Porshyen

I just want to know where I'll be in 6 months. I. Just. Want. To. Know.

I know the felling, bro!

I might have to move to another country and start my life all over again (which is nice, btw), but waiting out is killing me! I can't make plans because I don't know where I'll be in 6 months from now! The other day, I was so stressed out, I got scare with the WIND and droped my phone. Broken screen it is!

One (phone) admit showed up on the results page last week for my top program, and I'm just a wreck. It's a tiny, tiny program with extremely few applicants, and it would be perfect for my interests large and small, so many great people, and all I can do is think of dozens of things I that maybe I did wrong or what things I said that could have been misinterpreted. Granted it is not realistic for me to expect a call (distance), so intellectually I know there are millions of reasons why I am not hearing anything, but it's so difficult to stop thinking about it. Like everyone else I want to have a small idea of what will happen to me in the coming months. Even if all I know is "not going to grad school"

I know the felling, bro!

I might have to move to another country and start my life all over again (which is nice, btw), but waiting out is killing me! I can't make plans because I don't know where I'll be in 6 months from now! The other day, I was so stressed out, I got scare with the WIND and droped my phone. Broken screen it is!

I'm in a similar predicament regarding making a move—though not as far in distance, it does feel like a huge and anxiety provoking shift. My choices for PhD programs seem to have narrowed down to the East Coast, which is far away from my fondest people and places. Every night I stay awake considering the friends I'll have to shed, the bit of family I have left that I would have to leave far behind, and my three-year relationship that'd likely have to end. I don't know how others have managed it. Do people often go to graduate programs alone? Do they break up with significant others? I admit that the promise of starting anew sounds exciting, but I'm more often plagued by worry and guilt that what I would leave behind might not ever be matched again.  

My dissertation project is at a stand still because I'm waiting for some collaborators to get their stuff together.  I'm starting to put a little more pressure on, and now my PI is getting involved, because this is starting to go on a little too long.  It's frustrating!

Do people often go to graduate programs alone? Do they break up with significant others? I admit that the promise of starting anew sounds exciting, but I'm more often plagued by worry and guilt that what I would leave behind might not ever be matched again.  

This has been a serious consideration for me, too.  There are lengthy threads in "The Lobby" that deal with this exact topic (significant others and moving for grad school) - I'm sad to say that it seems to lead to an end of the relationship for many, though not all.

Today is one of those days where focusing on anything is impossible. I just want to find out if I got in at this point. It's mardi gras, so on the weekend I will be busy, but until then I think I'll lose my mind. If I get shut out again this application cycle, I think I'll just cry.

I'm so edgy!!! A pen rolled off my desk this morning and I wanted to scream.

Everything is just making me so mad. Will be glad when this is finally over. I don't know if I can do a third round of applications if I don't get in... Too much stress

I'm sick to death of everyone always getting what they want and being happy and my life sucking ass.

On the one hand, as an envious person myself, I can sympathize, especially on the romantic front. On the other hand, you're making this comment as a person who got accepted to every program she applied to on a forum where many/most people are freaking out over the possibility of getting the exact opposite result (or close to it). Does your life or your preception of it really suck so much?

On the one hand, as an envious person myself, I can sympathize, especially on the romantic front. On the other hand, you're making this comment as a person who got accepted to every program she applied to on a forum where many/most people are freaking out over the possibility of getting the exact opposite result (or close to it). Does your life or your preception of it really suck so much?

I know I know, I think about this a ton. Problem is academically yes things are coming together really well, but that has never been my top priority.  I mean, despite what people on this site think, I am not a stupid girl.  I worked hard in school, I got good grades, I worked hard on my SOP, academically I have done everything right.  I have done everything right in my personal life too and that got me no where obviously.  I am grateful for getting into all my schools and my new job but I want it all to come together like everyone else I know.  :) I want it all. 

In the past 1-2 years my facebook newsfeed has just been filled with pregnancy announcements, pics from baby showers, babies, etc from people I went to high school with.  I'm not ready for it yet- I'm busy in a fantastic grad program and living with my also-student boyfriend... I really don't have the time or money for it at all.  And I am enjoying my life overall and the freedom of not having baby-related responsibilities.  But somehow still envious, in a small part of my brain.

In the past 1-2 years my facebook newsfeed has just been filled with pregnancy announcements, pics from baby showers, babies, etc from people I went to high school with.  I'm not ready for it yet- I'm busy in a fantastic grad program and living with my also-student boyfriend... I really don't have the time or money for it at all.  And I am enjoying my life overall and the freedom of not having baby-related responsibilities.  But somehow still envious, in a small part of my brain.

I have noticed that too, I just started deleting a ton of people, I don't need the garbage on my newsfeed lol. 

You have a boyfriend that you live with.. you can easily get married and have a baby now if you actually wanted. I feel like you have no reason to not be happy. 

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I'm sick to death of everyone always getting what they want and being happy and my life sucking ass.

Ok...

I have done everything right in my personal life too and that got me no where obviously.

Didn't you get accepted to all four schools you applied to, got a new job at the perfect time to save up before moving away to grad school, and got a fully-funded two-year fellowship to the #8 school in the country for your field? 

You have a boyfriend that you live with.. you can easily get married and have a baby now if you actually wanted. I feel like you have no reason to not be happy. 

You're getting very old. Can't you see why people are tired of it? You know guys are people too. They get tired too. 

Edited by Gnome Chomsky

Ok...

Didn't you get accepted to all four schools you applied to, got a new job at the perfect time to save up before moving away to grad school, and got a fully-funded two-year fellowship to the #8 school in the country for your field? 

You're getting very old. Can't you see why people are tired of it? You know guys are people too. They get tired too.

I don't talk to guys like this first of all, second you don't have to respond... I don't remember specifically asking for you help so thanks but no thanks. :). And yes all of those things did happen, it isn't as if I can just make myself not feel down. I am so happy all that stuff happened but still.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I don't talk to guys like this first of all, second you don't have to respond... I don't remember specifically asking for you help so thanks but no thanks. :). And yes all of those things did happen, it isn't as if I can just make myself not feel down. I am so happy all that stuff happened but still.

But you told someone that you can't fathom how they can not be completely ecstatic with the state of their life because they have a boy/girlfriend when you don't know a single thing about this person besides their relationship status. Do you realize how foolish, ignorant, immature, psychotic, out-of-touch-with-reality, (insert adjective or idiom) that makes you look? You're on a grad school message board where, despite probably having other issues in life, the posters are discussing their issues/panics/concerns with grad school-related things. So, when people are talking about things that are depressing or stressing them on GradCafe, it's most likely related to acceptances, rejections, wait-lists, funding, housing, etc. And you're telling these people, "I GOT INTO EVERY SCHOOL. EVERYTHING ALL OF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT WAS SO EASY TO ME. BUT, BOY OH BOY, I'M SO SAD BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE A BOYFRIEND. I'M A COMPLETE FAILURE AT LIFE AND ALL OF YOU ARE SO LUCKY." 

But you told someone that you can't fathom how they can not be completely ecstatic with the state of their life because they have a boy/girlfriend when you don't know a single thing about this person besides their relationship status. Do you realize how foolish, ignorant, immature, psychotic, out-of-touch-with-reality, (insert adjective or idiom) that makes you look? You're on a grad school message board where, despite probably having other issues in life, the posters are discussing their issues/panics/concerns with grad school-related things. So, when people are talking about things that are depressing or stressing them on GradCafe, it's most likely related to acceptances, rejections, wait-lists, funding, housing, etc. And you're telling these people, "I GOT INTO EVERY SCHOOL. EVERYTHING ALL OF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT WAS SO EASY TO ME. BUT, BOY OH BOY, I'M SO SAD BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE A BOYFRIEND. I'M A COMPLETE FAILURE AT LIFE AND ALL OF YOU ARE SO LUCKY."

I can admit that does sound off. It's just different priorities I guess. I can admit I shouldn't have said that though. Anyways not gonna derail I will vent!

With my new job I didn't realize how hard it is to work in customer service. People are so rude. I just hate it but I love it

Edited by CorruptedInnocence

Guest Gnome Chomsky

I can admit that does sound off. It's just different priorities I guess. I can admit I shouldn't have said that though.

You act like this is one instance and you just misspoke. I'm not talking about one comment. I'm talking about everything you have brought to this board since you got here. I clicked this thread because I was thinking to myself, "A thread about venting. I bet she's made it all about herself." And I was right. You make every thread about yourself and it all comes back to the same things: 1) you're sad for not having a boyfriend, 2) you get more good news every day about school/jobs, 3) everyone else is so lucky for having a boyfriend even if everything else in their life is falling apart. Even if a topic is completely unrelated, it will find a way back to these things. It's getting old. If you want to talk about your sad love life, save it for your husband thread. You managed to derail someone's thread a few months back when they wanted advice on a pregnancy. You also create selfish threads where you continue to whine about yourself even if everyone gives you excellent advice, and you attack others for having things you don't have. Do you realize that even if you create a thread, it doesn't have to be all about you? It can just be a conversation starter. I started a thread about "what is your favorite time period" because I like the Wild West and I was curious what other people liked. If I start a thread on girlfriend problems, I might share my experience, but then I would allow others to share their experiences. That's how human beings communicate. A thread is a conversation starter. Sure, there are some threads that are intended to be selfish because they ask a specific question, such as "Please review my SOP" or "Which school should I accept." But there are other threads that are more general that everyone likely has experience with, and these threads are not intended to become all about Corruptedinnocence. 

Edited by Gnome Chomsky

You act like this is one instance and you just misspoke. I'm not talking about one comment. I'm talking about everything you have brought to this board since you got here. I clicked this thread because I was thinking to myself, "A thread about venting. I bet she's made it all about herself." And I was right. You make every thread about yourself and it all comes back to the same things: 1) you're sad for not having a boyfriend, 2) you get more good news every day about school/jobs, 3) everyone else is so lucky for having a boyfriend even if everything else in their life is falling apart. Even if a topic is completely unrelated, it will find a way back to these things. It's getting old. If you want to talk about your sad love life, save it for your husband thread. You managed to derail someone's thread a few months back when they wanted advice on a pregnancy. You also create selfish threads where you continue to whine about yourself even if everyone gives you excellent advice, and you attack others for having things you don't have. Do you realize that even if you create a thread, it doesn't have to be all about you? It can just be a conversation starter. I started a thread about "what is your favorite time period" because I like the Wild West and I was curious what other people liked. If I start a thread on girlfriend problems, I might share my experience, but then I would allow others to share their experiences. That's how human beings communicate. A thread is a conversation starter. Sure, there are some threads that are intended to be selfish because they ask a specific question, such as "Please review my SOP" or "Which school should I accept." But there are other threads that are more general that everyone likely has experience with, and these threads are not intended to become all about Corruptedinnocence.

Look I apologized so get the eff over it. You act like you don't derail threads too. Anyways it's fine. Not going to derail this thread so if you want to talk more shit bring it to my thread. Edited by CorruptedInnocence

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Look I apologized so get the eff over it. You act like you don't derail threads too. Anyways it's fine. Not going to derail this thread so if you want to talk more shit bring it to my thread.

I retired from that thread. Good luck with your boyfriend hunt. Maybe you can trade some girl on here a fully-funded ride to Case for her boyfriend. I'm sure someone would accept. 

I retired from that thread. Good luck with your boyfriend hunt. Maybe you can trade some girl on here a fully-funded ride to Case for her boyfriend. I'm sure someone would accept.

Don't mistake I am very very thankful for everything that happened to me. I also worked hard as hell to make it happen

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Don't mistake I am very very thankful for everything that happened to me. I also worked hard as hell to make it happen

And nobody else worked hard because GradCafe is full of pot smoking underachievers with 2.0 GPAs. 

Venting time!

I'm really really really anxious about my living situation. I'm living in a crowded dorm with undergraduates, and it's really stressing me out.

I am introverted, so all of the noise and having people around so much makes it hard for me to balance my sanity with grad school.  I don't get any "recharge" time, so I never feel like have more than 70% energy at the start of the day. Don't get me wrong -- I love my roommate, I love being introverted, and I love being a grad student, but it's hard to balance those three when there's so many people!  :(

Thankfully, I am moving out to live in a studio apartment in 6 weeks, but now those 6 weeks are going by. oh. so. slowly.

Any tips on how to pass the time?