Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

And speaking of the forum, I'm getting more and more irritated by people not searching before creating a thread. As far as I'm aware, this website doesn't have a policy against bumping old threads, and if you just search a little bit you often can find the information you're looking for, rather than making a new thread with a question that's been asked ten times before.

Could not agree more.

I'm the same exact way! 9 hours is ideal for me. Another student blatantly asked me, "Wow, how do you get anything done?" Well, actually, having a good night's sleep makes me way more productive than all those people getting 3 hours and guzzling coffee. And when they tell me about their habit I'm just like... "neat."

This made me laugh out loud at work... so thanks for that!

But seriously, GradCafe? "An error occurred. You have reached your quota of positive votes for today."  DO YOU KNOW WHAT WE ARE GOING THROUGH HERE!? We are getting the most painful and personal rejections of our lives and you are LIMITING the number of COMPLIMENTS we can give out?!?!?!  THINK OF HOW MUCH WE NEED THIS AFFIRMATION! 

I just want to give VulpesZerda a point for "that's neat".... is that too much to ask? Sorry I spend too much time enjoying other nerdy people's thoughts...

It is day 4 of excruciating pain. It will pass. It always passes, so that is what I hold on to. All I have been able to think is how much I want to kill myself. I really need someone to talk to, but there is nothing to be done, no one to help, so it seems so pointless to bother someone with. I could not avoid telling one teacher, but other than that I have been keeping on appearances, somehow.

Surprised nobody commented on this yet.  Hope you're feeling better.  It's never pointless to talk to somebody, and if you need help, reach out! 

Edited by MoJingly

I just had to listen to one of the wildest and most uncomfortable conversations I've ever heard, from a girl next to me in the library.

She was first of all complaining about our university not requiring students to recite the pledge of allegiance (it's a private institution, and host to a large population of international students), then went on to say that the focus her classes take on business and economics being used to better other people's lives, rather than for personal interests, is "liberal brainwashing". 

Bonus: She went on to say that leaving private school as a teen was a culture shock, because "there were chinese kids, hispanic kids, black kidsand people in, uh, affordable housing..." (as in, "black kids" was abruptly whispered, and "affordable housing" was used as a weird euphemism for poor neighborhoods).

Not to just rag on some sheltered girl, product of her environment and all, but wow. Wow.

I just had to listen to one of the wildest and most uncomfortable conversations I've ever heard, from a girl next to me in the library.

She was first of all complaining about our university not requiring students to recite the pledge of allegiance (it's a private institution, and host to a large population of international students), then went on to say that the focus her classes take on business and economics being used to better other people's lives, rather than for personal interests, is "liberal brainwashing". 

Bonus: She went on to say that leaving private school as a teen was a culture shock, because "there were chinese kids, hispanic kids, black kidsand people in, uh, affordable housing..." (as in, "black kids" was abruptly whispered, and "affordable housing" was used as a weird euphemism for poor neighborhoods).

Not to just rag on some sheltered girl, product of her environment and all, but wow. Wow.

THIS.

I don't want to go where people act like this :( :(

THIS.

Then you'll have to move off of this planet.

Differing opinions (whether through ignorance or otherwise) will forever exist on Earth.

Good news though, I heard Mars University has a good Psych program.

Edited by <ian>

Then you'll have to move off of this planet.

Differing opinions (whether through ignorance or otherwise) will forever exist on Earth.

Good news though, I heard Mars University has a good Psych program.

funny.

Most people I interact with on a daily basis -especially those who went to my university- don't act like that where I'm from...

Perhaps it's normalized in your community.

Edit: at least we can mutually down vote differing opinions here, yeah?

Edited by TheMercySeat

THIS.

I think you'd have to leave Earth entirely, to accomplish that goal  :unsure:

My school is ranked among the most liberal in the nation (and is located in Boston), so not a conservative institution by any stretch of the imagination. I've easily heard as much racist rhetoric here as I ever did before, in 18 years of living in central Virginia (although I don't run into Confederate bumper stickers or need to debate my classmates on the existence of evolution anymore, yay?)

While I can understand this girl feeling shut out at a liberal school... there's a good reason she's not getting a lot of positive support for the views she was expressing. She was soooo close to arriving at the fact that they're directly founded on ignorance, too, what with her admission to only being around rich white people until age 14 (her words). So close! So close!!!!!

It's really annoying when people post non-results to the results page. There are things like "still waiting" and "has anyone heard anything?" Posting stuff like that is helpful to no one but yourself and clutters up the results. That is what the discussion forum is for.

Yes! This has me regretting ever setting up an application that notifies me of posts for my programs. Tons of them are just things that 100% belong in the forums.   

This made me laugh out loud at work... so thanks for that!

But seriously, GradCafe? "An error occurred. You have reached your quota of positive votes for today."  DO YOU KNOW WHAT WE ARE GOING THROUGH HERE!? We are getting the most painful and personal rejections of our lives and you are LIMITING the number of COMPLIMENTS we can give out?!?!?!  THINK OF HOW MUCH WE NEED THIS AFFIRMATION! 

I just want to give VulpesZerda a point for "that's neat".... is that too much to ask? Sorry I spend too much time enjoying other nerdy people's thoughts...

Hahaha, well I appreciate the attempt to up-vote! I hate running out, too!

Looking for housing when you're from out-of-state is a frustrating experience!  Especially when you have to adjust your affordability because your stipend doesn't equal your current income. There are so many good deals in the region I'm moving to, but I don't move until August, so I don't get to take advantage of those deals.  I never had to deal with this on such a scale before.  But at least I have been looking since mid-February for an August move-in date, so that has to mean something, right???

And don't get me started on how to coordinate a showing of a place in another state. You don't, that's how.

Bonus: She went on to say that leaving private school as a teen was a culture shock, because "there were chinese kids, hispanic kids, black kids, and people in, uh, affordable housing..." (as in, "black kids" was abruptly whispered, and "affordable housing" was used as a weird euphemism for poor neighborhoods).

This is just like the SAE video that's been floating around... Same entitled, sheltered people. It's so upsetting.

Surprised nobody commented on this yet.  Hope you're feeling better.  It's never pointless to talk to somebody, and if you need help, reach out! 

I am alright now, thanks. I am just scared of the next episode. Probably can't postpone talking to the disability services for much longer. But then again, it's not as if there is anything they can do.

Edited by Marst

Do you ever feel like sometimes people use the "Help me make a decision" threads just to brag? 

"Help! I got into Harvard, Stanford, and Yale, and I don't know what to do.  More about me-I have a perfect GPA studying one of the hardest subjects on the planet from a top 10 school and was in the 101st percentile on my GRE.  I was also the first author of 10 articles published in top journals in undergrad and I have recieved numerous awards and scholarships from the smart peoples society.  Did I mention I was also valedictorian in highschool? Though that hardly matters now...  What am I ever going to do?  Such a struggle."

I mean, I'm happy for people who do well.  I like the fact that there are some people smarter than me. My good friend got into a top school for a Ph.D in engineering and I think that is amazing and I'll brag on him all day.  But really? If you are smart enough to get into Harvard and Yale, you probably don't need random  strangers on the internet telling you which one to go to.

Do you ever feel like sometimes people use the "Help me make a decision" threads just to brag?

"Help! I got into Harvard, Stanford, and Yale, and I don't know what to do. More about me-I have a perfect GPA studying one of the hardest subjects on the planet from a top 10 school and was in the 101st percentile on my GRE. I was also the first author of 10 articles published in top journals in undergrad and I have recieved numerous awards and scholarships from the smart peoples society. Did I mention I was also valedictorian in highschool? Though that hardly matters now... What am I ever going to do? Such a struggle."

I mean, I'm happy for people who do well. I like the fact that there are some people smarter than me. My good friend got into a top school for a Ph.D in engineering and I think that is amazing and I'll brag on him all day. But really? If you are smart enough to get into Harvard and Yale, you probably don't need random strangers on the internet telling you which one to go to.

I haven't really looked at many of those kinds of threads, simply because I don't have much to offer (I don't know much about the cities, student life at those schools, etc). I understand where you're coming from, though. I sometimes feel that way about some people who post amazing stats and then say something like "do you think I have a shot at X school?" I feel like they are either 1) really insecure about themselves for some reason and are looking to others for reassurance, or 2) they know they are awesome and want other people to say it, too.

Also, I really hate when people who scored in the 80's (percentile-wise) on the GRE say that their scores are so mediocre. No, if you scored in the 60's they'd be mediocre. The 80th percentile is flipping amazing. It would be more accurate to say that they're mediocre for X program.

Edited by shadowclaw

In honor of Women's History Month:

1. Being overly sexualized is not the same thing as being empowered (I'm looking at you, pop stars!)

2. Just because you're a woman as well does not mean that you can make a sexist comment when I buy candy with my feminine products at the Rite Aid. For your information, I buy Cadbury Eggs WHENEVER I CAN.

In honor of Women's History Month:

1. Being overly sexualized is not the same thing as being empowered (I'm looking at you, pop stars!)

2. Just because you're a woman as well does not mean that you can make a sexist comment when I buy candy with my feminine products at the Rite Aid. For your information, I buy Cadbury Eggs WHENEVER I CAN.

My Vent: Not enough people think this^^way!!!!

HAPPY WOMEN'S HISTORY MONTH!!!!

A post-doc in my lab literally just ruined half of my experiments. This person has a tendency to interrupt someone's experiment (e.g. centrifugation, electrophoresis) for convenience so that this person can use the same equipment at the same time without communicating/ask for the permission with the then-current user. Consider the time and cost that build up to the experiment before this incident which cost half of my product before my next experiment, I have a day worse than Jeremy Clarkson. On top of that, this post-doc did not apologize whatsoever for the action.

It once again shows that grad students may not be a burden of their post-docs / PI, sometimes it can be the other way around.

NYU Cognition & Perception is being unbelievably slow with final decisions! I haven't seen a single result on the results pages. There was a 2/13 and a 2/20 visit (I was at the 2/13 one). It's been three weeks since the last visit, they've had plenty of time to decide!! I just want to know my full range of options so I can make a decision in the next week or two... ugh