Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

That would be soooo frustrating. I will be doing Bio Stats next semester and it is offered through the Stats department, soooo... I am not expecting it to be like that but I would be furious if that were to happen.

I am in a program where the graduate students who come in have never taken a stats course at all, which blows my mind since this is a stats heavy field... *facepalm* Anyway, I came into my master's program with literally all my stats classes done (though not through the courses offered within the department)... so I've been continuing my study through the statistics and psychology departments. Some are not thrilled about it, but *shrug*... 

In any case, I know that biology majors do not really look at stats at all until they hit grad school, so it doesn't surprise me if it were offered through a Biology department that they would start so basic... However if it is a grad biostats course through the math/stats department I'd throw a pretty serious fit.

My undergrad university prides itself with having a good nursing program, and the nursing students are generally stat's wizards. I appreciate stats and enjoy taking the courses, but some of those nursing people blew my mind.

In any case, I know that biology majors do not really look at stats at all until they hit grad school, so it doesn't surprise me if it were offered through a Biology department that they would start so basic... However if it is a grad biostats course through the math/stats department I'd throw a pretty serious fit.

It just so happens that it is through the math department. I really expected more from this course. I am using far more complicated stats for my thesis, so I find this review of simple ones (and the struggles of some of my classmates) to be very, very annoying.

I have something to vent about:

A women was just arrested in Alaska for running a sex-trafficking operation throughout Alaska. There were hundreds of women involved in multiple cities and the arrested women in charge had many previous charges. Some of her previous charges include driving while intoxicated, driving with a revoked license and stabbing a man in the neck with a broken beer bottle. Why she wasn't imprisoned for the assault with a weapon is beyond me; but I know our system isn't perfect and she was given another chance. 

What gets me about this isn't the substantive issue of sex-trafficking, the issue of whether or not prostitution should be legal or illegal or whether the prostitutes were being treated well or very poorly. What bothers me is the dozens of comments on different related articles berating the police. I get that everyone has a different opinion and perspective, but it really bothers me that people would insult and belittle law enforcement for lawfully doing their jobs. Especially given that many officers got into the field to help people- often willing to put their safety on the line to do this.

Fine, call cops idiots, but their job is necessary, difficult, and often under immense scrutiny. I just don't get the hate. Sure, some cops make mistakes or are just bad people, cops are still people after, but its a tough gig.

Edited by Sword_Saint

This morning, some dude drove his car into out house, because he was trying to run my roommate and roommate's girl over.

Holy s%#^. I hope he went to jail??? Where are you living?

This morning, some dude drove his car into out house, because he was trying to run my roommate and roommate's girl over. 

You win the thread, DerpTastic. 

But seriously, is everyone OK? You got housing? Is this person still at large?

I hope all of you are alright.

ARGGGGHHHHHH. Slow, selfish people who are "marinating" with their decisions about grad school offers: just. decide. Do you not realize that there are dozens of people waiting on YOUR decision, whose whole future 5-6 years depend on you, much like the way you were once at the whim of adcomm decisions?!

He actually fled (after beating up the girl enough to send her to the hospital) but he turned himself in a little later. He was the girl's ex and his car is in our house, I think the adrenaline wore off and he probably realized he was fucked. The wall is boarded up and 3 out of the 4 of us living there are staying with people we know. More so because he probably will get out on bail and who knows what he'll do. He also rammed her car so it's like half on our lawn but something's busted so they can't move it.

He actually fled (after beating up the girl enough to send her to the hospital) but he turned himself in a little later. He was the girl's ex and his car is in our house, I think the adrenaline wore off and he probably realized he was fucked. The wall is boarded up and 3 out of the 4 of us living there are staying with people we know. More so because he probably will get out on bail and who knows what he'll do. He also rammed her car so it's like half on our lawn but something's busted so they can't move it.

Never had someone drive their vehicle into my house, but I've had my fair share of drama filled roommates. It's the main factor behind me questioning whether its worth getting a roommate or paying for a place all to myself when I start school in the fall. My sympathies go out to you man, hopefully he will be charged with crimes like attempted vehicular manslaughter and [felony] assault. Going out on a limb here but assuming he has prior charges those offenses could be enough to get him a few years in prison, hopefully long enough for you to finish your degree and gtfo.

Holy S#&t man, that's terrible! I hope the girl recovers quickly and this guy gets the book thrown at him. I hope your house is fixed soon and you guys are placed under watch in case he comes back. Good luck with everything!

I can't imagine he would try anything after willingly turning himself in and knowing that there are multiple people who are aware of who he is and what happened. Regardless, sending positive thoughts and prayers that way. Good luck!!

My car broke down last week, to the tune of $900, and half a day of work off.  Today, I bit into some chewing gum and my tooth broke off.  Now I have to go to the dentist tomorrow.  Last week I had a deadline.  This week I have another deadline.  I have to tell my boss that I have to come into work late tomorrow... This stuff never happens to me... what the heck is going on?  Hopefully all this will be taken care of before I start school in the fall.

At least no one ran into my apartment with their car. That is the worst.

ARGGGGHHHHHH. Slow, selfish people who are "marinating" with their decisions about grad school offers: just. decide. Do you not realize that there are dozens of people waiting on YOUR decision, whose whole future 5-6 years depend on you, much like the way you were once at the whim of adcomm decisions?!

The irony here is you are the one being selfish. People who have been accepted don't owe you anything. I, personally, am having a hard time deciding on my program. One thing is for sure, I couldn't care less about the people on the waiting list. 

Wow, I've only heard of someone running their car into someone's apartment once before, and it was an accident. The driveway was icy and the person didn't understand how to drive on ice and plowed into the side of the building. This, however, takes the cake. If it makes you feel better, my friend's house almost burned down several years ago because the neighbor's girlfriend found out he was cheating on her, so she threw all of his stuff out the window and set it on fire (and this was in the city, so the houses were really close to together).

I continue to be amazed by this girl in my program. She has finally indicated to me that she might not get into the program she is waitlisted for this fall. However, she believes that her application will carry over for spring admissions when she will get off the waitlist. She has also been telling everybody she sees that she's been accepted to this program and is working out the details of when she's start.

So he crashed into the place and then got out and physically beat her? Was she the only one there?

If not, Castle Doctrine applies to defense of others.

The irony here is you are the one being selfish. People who have been accepted don't owe you anything. I, personally, am having a hard time deciding on my program. One thing is for sure, I couldn't care less about the people on the waiting list. 

I just ignore the whole "if you have a pending accept, please reject" spam. Do what is best for you, and if what is best is to take your time on your decision then so be it. This is a decision that can and will change your entire life, it isn't easy to do.

Edited by <ian>

I was merely expressing my frustration. This is called the venting thread, right? No need for you to be a jerk about the wait list torture that I'm going through right now, especially considering you're not in the same position. 

I just ignore the whole "if you have a pending accept, please reject" spam. Do what is best for you, and if what is best is to take your time on your decision then so be it. This is a decision that can and will change your entire life, it isn't easy to do.

It's not "spam."

I'm not out in the English forums pressuring people and telling them to make a decision already. I'm in the venting thread talking in general about my frustrations in the application process.

Get over yourselves, both of you.

Edited by 1Q84

Victorydance & Ian,

I think it's really *important* to keep in mind that the application process is an incredibly onerous, demanding, and precarious time for many; hence, it is both unwarranted and insensitive to invalidate one’s frustrations with those who are unmindful of others! I’m of the opinion, to be sure, that if you DO NOT plan to attend a program, then you should immediately inform the DGS that you will not be attending. The preceding, of course, is a matter of extending grace to others. I understand, however, that the decision process is difficult, but I cannot discern why it is necessary to mobilize such an egregious sentiment about applicants on the waiting list, especially considering these applicants might be fellow colleagues in the fall. :mellow:

I think it's really *important* to keep in mind that the application process is an incredibly onerous, demanding, and precarious time for many; hence, it is both unwarranted and insensitive to invalidate one’s frustrations with those who are unmindful of others! I’m of the opinion, to be sure, that if you DO NOT plan to attend a program, then you should immediately inform the DGS that you will not be attending. The preceding, of course, is a matter of extending grace to others. I understand, however, that the decision process is difficult, but I cannot discern why it is necessary to mobilize such an egregious sentiment about applicants on the waiting list, especially considering these applicants might be fellow colleagues in the fall. :mellow:

I really hope this person has an English or Communications degree. Assuming the response was spontaneous, this comment makes me feel like I write like an idiot.

I guess I'll be derailing the conversation a bit, but it's nice to vent. My current PI's upset that I won't be doing my PhD at my current (undergraduate) institution, even though I'm switching fields and won't be in his department. He has no stake in this and he knows it! I'm even going to his alma matter, which he's raved about for three years. Both schools are comparable in academics (both ranked #1 according to USNews, but we all know those are handwavy rankings). My home institution might be arguably better for logistical reasons (commute, location, ease of collaboration), but I just felt more comfortable on my visit to the other school. I wish he'd back off a bit trying to persuade me, but I'll have to deal with it until I successfully defend my thesis.  :mellow:

I guess I'll be derailing the conversation a bit, but it's nice to vent. My current PI's upset that I won't be doing my PhD at my current (undergraduate) institution, even though I'm switching fields and won't be in his department. He has no stake in this and he knows it! I'm even going to his alma matter, which he's raved about for three years. Both schools are comparable in academics (both ranked #1 according to USNews, but we all know those are handwavy rankings). My home institution might be arguably better for logistical reasons (commute, location, ease of collaboration), but I just felt more comfortable on my visit to the other school. I wish he'd back off a bit trying to persuade me, but I'll have to deal with it until I successfully defend my thesis.  :mellow:

My adviser was kinda pushy about me going to his alma mater. I really owe him a lot so making my grad school decision was pretty tough. At the end of the day though I would have to pay about 1000 dollars a month out of pocket to live there and the school I chose instead is a full ride situation. I owe my adviser a lot, but I don't owe him 24k kind of a lot for a 2 year program.

Edited by Sword_Saint

Today is not my day. Got rejected for 2 fellowships, one yesterday one today, which isn't really that big of a deal, but rejection always hurts a bit. Car check engine light went in on my way to work, I just paid ~$1000 to have it fixed last month. My stipend is certainly not big enough for these type of car problems. My advisor stood me up for our meeting today. Having a major data issue and my dissertation proposal is due very soon. There was a nasty bug in my shower this morning.