Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

Seeing my coworkers who were kind of in my "cohort" get promotions before me really sucks.  I don't care if I'm going into the Ph.D program.  It still stings.  I was put on the crappy project because I was the one with the most potential.  They were left on their projects because I was better than them, and now they are getting promoted and I'm not because the project managers in a different office were stupid.  I feel like I've been screwed over and it isn't fair.  I'm just going to spend the rest of my time here reading Ph.D Comics and drinking coffee (and studying matrix algebra)  I don't freakin' care... except I do.  I'm happy for the ones getting promoted, but I should be promoted too. Except I know that "my work" doesn't reflect that, but I feel like that was because of the other office gave NO feedback until it was too late.  If it was something I had done, or not done, I would be happy to take full responsibility and understand why.  But I worked more hours on a harder project than any of them and then I got screwed over.  It isn't fair.  I'm done. I'm done caring.  I'm done trying.  It doesn't matter anyways. I think I'll take sick for the rest of the week.  It doesn't matter anymore.  Why the hell should I care?  I didn't want to climb the ranks in the first place.  But I did want my hard work to be acknowledged, and instead I'm being treated like I'm slow-witted and lazy.  I'll show them slow-witted and lazy. (No I won't. But I really wants to.)

3 months and 14 days until grad school.

Leaving this job is not unlike breaking up with a boyfriend.  One second I'm like "No! I can't believe I ever wanted to leave! I love it here!" And the next second I'm like "Stupid job. Good riddance!  The day I accepted my grad school offer was the best day of my life."

Invite friends and bribe them with Beer and Pizza!

Haha, I'm saving that for uhaul packing day!

The hard part is deciding what to take now and what to leave. The more I take now the easier, but stuff like the washer and dryer--which of us has to use the laundry mat for six weeks and which can take the washer dryer. Do I take the guest bed and our bed now and he use an air mattress for six weeks or so we rent two uhauls?

It's aggravating. He has to come later because he put in the transfer date for his job two months ago and can't bump it up with so little notice and I got the job offer for the summer internship at a pharmaceutical r&d co last week and I'd be insane not to take it.

I was amazed to see a coworker of mine expressed and purified proteins for 4 years straight without any data and he is about to start his 5th year. How in the world was he able to get away with this BS? This type of work could have been done by an undergrad or a lab tech  :blink:

Haha, I'm saving that for uhaul packing day!

The hard part is deciding what to take now and what to leave. The more I take now the easier, but stuff like the washer and dryer--which of us has to use the laundry mat for six weeks and which can take the washer dryer. Do I take the guest bed and our bed now and he use an air mattress for six weeks or so we rent two uhauls?

It's aggravating. He has to come later because he put in the transfer date for his job two months ago and can't bump it up with so little notice and I got the job offer for the summer internship at a pharmaceutical r&d co last week and I'd be insane not to take it.

As someone who has zig-zagged across the U.S., my advice would be to move as much as possible at once.   Considering that it will only be for six weeks out of an entire lifetime, an air mattress and laundromat are not that big of a deal.  

Save the money for the second Uhaul to celebrate the minor inconveniences when you reconnect. 

Feeling like venting.

I've been chronically single by choice for years - ever since halfway through my undergrad when I made the huge mistake of taking a year off school to live with my much older boyfriend in a different state. When that (shockingly) turned out badly, I decided I was going to fully commit to school and worry about finding a guy later. 

I got really passionately into Creative Writing and started applying to MFAs - I got into a good one, and when I told my friends / family / loved ones the responses came like this.

Best friend: "Oh, congrats. But aren't you worried about your small cohort?"
Me: "What do you mean?"
Best friend: "I mean, you know, wouldn't it be nice if there were lots of guys to choose from?" 

Mom: "*cuts me off in the middle of telling her about my new school* Oh, before I forgot, I met this WONDERFUL man the other day - he's a carpenter, he was doing the deck, and he is just so handsome and I really think you should meet him. He lives in New Jersey (*I do not and will not live near New Jersey*), he's a little over forty, and you know he'll be wonderful father because he already has a thirteen year old daughter! I really think you should meet him - what's your schedule like?" 
Me: "Well, I'm pretty booked up for the next three years."
Mom: "Maybe I'll invite him for Christmas."

Friend's mom: "Oh, I was hoping you would go to (different writing program) and meet a nice home-grown farm boy. The men in (my new city) are so pretentious." 

Am I just sending out desperate vibes, or what? 
Sometimes I want to grab a random guy off the street to bring home just to get everyone off my back.

Edit: 
I only just turned 25.
I'm not exactly counting my eggs, here.

Edited by HookedOnSonnets

I cried in my advisors office today, just a little like a single tear, but still. I have some chronic health issues and basically I'm dealing with this new set of symptoms and I was trying not to let it interfere with my work and now it is. So I had to tell him about it, he was so nice and understanding, but I still feel terrible. 

I have cluster migraines and when they get really bad I get aphasia, so when I have a migraine coming on I slur my words, and I can barely read or write until the migraine is over, but what is the worst part is usually at the time what I'm writing looks fine to me. I could write a sentence that is suppose to be "my dog loves to play in the park" but what everyone else would see is "my dog love paly on the pack" so basically I've been turning in work that is gibberish recently and only noticing it once my migraine is over.

Anyways he was nice and said that I should take the time I need and that he would keep that in mind as I turn work in and if anyone approaches him about the quality of my work he would explain it to them, but still, really stinks. I know that now I know I can take the time I need to rest and not stress about getting work done fast it will be ok, but I still feel like a disappointment. Oh graduate school, I'm never good enough. 

I did pass my oral qualifier this week though! yay me! committee said I did a really good job and they will see me when I go to defend in 2-3 years  :)

Feeling like venting.

I've been chronically single by choice for years - ever since halfway through my undergrad when I made the huge mistake of taking a year off school to live with my much older boyfriend in a different state. When that (shockingly) turned out badly, I decided I was going to fully commit to school and worry about finding a guy later. 

I got really passionately into Creative Writing and started applying to MFAs - I got into a good one, and when I told my friends / family / loved ones the responses came like this.

Best friend: "Oh, congrats. But aren't you worried about your small cohort?"

Me: "What do you mean?"

Best friend: "I mean, you know, wouldn't it be nice if there were lots of guys to choose from?" 

Mom: "*cuts me off in the middle of telling her about my new school* Oh, before I forgot, I met this WONDERFUL man the other day - he's a carpenter, he was doing the deck, and he is just so handsome and I really think you should meet him. He lives in New Jersey (*I do not and will not live near New Jersey*), he's a little over forty, and you know he'll be wonderful father because he already has a thirteen year old daughter! I really think you should meet him - what's your schedule like?" 

Me: "Well, I'm pretty booked up for the next three years."

Mom: "Maybe I'll invite him for Christmas."

Friend's mom: "Oh, I was hoping you would go to (different writing program) and meet a nice home-grown farm boy. The men in (my new city) are so pretentious." 

Am I just sending out desperate vibes, or what? 

Sometimes I want to grab a random guy off the street to bring home just to get everyone off my back.

Edit: 

I only just turned 25.

I'm not exactly counting my eggs, here.

Ahh!  I know how you feel.  Somewhere between 24 and 25 it went from "Oh, you have plenty of time!" to "Why aren't you married yet?"

I cried in my advisors office today, just a little like a single tear, but still. I have some chronic health issues and basically I'm dealing with this new set of symptoms and I was trying not to let it interfere with my work and now it is. So I had to tell him about it, he was so nice and understanding, but I still feel terrible. 

I have cluster migraines and when they get really bad I get aphasia, so when I have a migraine coming on I slur my words, and I can barely read or write until the migraine is over, but what is the worst part is usually at the time what I'm writing looks fine to me. I could write a sentence that is suppose to be "my dog loves to play in the park" but what everyone else would see is "my dog love paly on the pack" so basically I've been turning in work that is gibberish recently and only noticing it once my migraine is over.

Anyways he was nice and said that I should take the time I need and that he would keep that in mind as I turn work in and if anyone approaches him about the quality of my work he would explain it to them, but still, really stinks. I know that now I know I can take the time I need to rest and not stress about getting work done fast it will be ok, but I still feel like a disappointment. Oh graduate school, I'm never good enough. 

I did pass my oral qualifier this week though! yay me! committee said I did a really good job and they will see me when I go to defend in 2-3 years  :)

I am really sorry to hear that! It sounds a sort of similar to my health issues, only I don't start writing gibberish but just can't write coherent sentences anymore when I am having an episode. You know, grad school is tough for everyone, and tougher still if you health is interfering. It only makes sense to feel overwhelmed at times. Hang in there!

(*I do not and will not live near New Jersey*)

Now, New Jersey has many fine cities, scenery and culinary delights to with which to recommend itself. It isn't *all* rednecks-ville.

If you just drive down 95, NJ seems like a horrible state with a horrible smell. The one time I decided to drive through the state on smaller roads though, I was pleasantly surprised.

Now, New Jersey has many fine cities, scenery and culinary delights to with which to recommend itself. It isn't *all* rednecks-ville.

Ha, no! I didn't mean to insult New Jersey, I just meant that right now I live 3,000 miles away from NJ, and when I go to school I'll still be 1,000 miles away. 

Do not and will not in the future* would have been better worded. 

My boss thought my coworker faked his data during the group meeting today, he showed a lot of "promising" results but didn't show any control experiments  :o. He said he "ran" out of sample, or instrument was "acting" up. 

I was like, "gurrrrrlllllll puuuuuuhhhhhealze"

My boss thought my coworker faked his data during the group meeting today, he showed a lot of "promising" results but didn't show any control experiments  :o. He said he "ran" out of sample, or instrument was "acting" up. 

I was like, "gurrrrrlllllll puuuuuuhhhhhealze"

You seem to have a lot of frustration over your coworker(s). Everything alright, there?

You seem to have a lot of frustration over your coworker(s). Everything alright, there?

So far so good, it just seems like I'm the one of very few people in my group is actually pulling the weight in term of getting papers out and applying for grants. 

Not every project produces papers at the same rate. 

Also, don't be the person who constantly bitches about how everyone else is soooo much lazier than you. It's a waste of your energy ('cause it ain't even your problem), is unprofessional and may even be untrue. 

Not every project produces papers at the same rate. 

Also, don't be the person who constantly bitches about how everyone else is soooo much lazier than you. It's a waste of your energy ('cause it ain't even your problem), is unprofessional and may even be untrue. 

That's not what I said, but you're right, it is not my problem and I wanted to stay out of it. However, I decided to get involve because my PI was going to kill my coworkers' project because of no research progress for about 3 years now and I didn't want to see them leaving the program with a terminal degree. I won't be so upset if they were actually trying hard to move forward, but no, they still work from 9-5, 5 days/week  :angry:.

I am so over editing my research paper for this semester. I am on the third draft, it's due in two days, and I just keep tinkering and tinkering away at the wording of the intro and conclusion to make it stronger but I don't think it's helping much at this point. Time to let it go and realize that this paper has had its life and taught me a lot, but it's never going to be a masterpiece.

I was looking at my undergrad school's website for some reason a few days ago, and I decided to click the link about alumni careers to see if anyone I knew was featured. Then I saw this kid from my major program listed who graduated with me. He was really into GIS even though he didn't seem to be very good with it. We worked on a project together and he was supposed to be in charge of mapping and getting us to field sites. He printed off some maps from Google that ended up being pretty useless once we parked. After two days, I took over and actually put together useful maps in ArcGIS and did all of the mapping after that, along with collecting all of the water quality data.

After we graduated, he couldn't find a job, so he applied for a part-time internship with a local environmental organization. I read the write up they did on him, and they basically said they hired him because of the GIS work he did on our project (the work that I did) as well as his experience with working with water quality techniques (again, the work I did). He later got a good job also claiming my work as his. Even though I don't plan to ever work in his field, it pisses me off that he passed off my hard work as his. Now it pisses me off even more that he is featured in the alumni careers section.

I don't want to use up my venting quota, but I went to pick up my car after the mechanic called to say the oil leak was fixed... halfway home, my "check oil" light came on.
Turned it right back around - when I got out it was spewing oil.
The mechanic brings it back into the shop and comes out five minutes later with, "That's a different leak. You must have scraped the underside of your car on something."

Yes.
That's the likely explanation. 

You're a special kind of cruel to chew and snap gum during an exam. :| 

What do you *snap* mean it's *smack* hard to *pop* concentrate when people are *loud, wet swallow* chewing gum?

I withdrew from a class once because there was a line of girls who would sit in the back row open-mouthed smacking their gum. 

I couldn't hear a word the lecturer said. I heard only moist mouth sounds.