Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

MoJingly

I work for an e-commerce firm and it is my job to fulfill every order and to make sure that the people that buy the company's product are not hackers. The issue is that even though we go through every risk assessment possible, there is still a lot of credit card fraud.

Long story short, my boss is getting sick of seeing all of the chargebacks so he is now threatening to take the money out of my paycheck because he thinks I am not being careful enough....forgetting the fact that they passed the risk assessment factor & that I have more tasks to do than to check out every order - btw, this was NOT part of the job description & he doesn't want to do it. Ergo, I am being over worked & I get screamed at by him & by our customers who feel that we're invading their privacy by instituting a risk assessment policy = asking for their state ID and/or passport. Nor am I being paid enough to be able to afford all of the chargebacks     = _ =. 

I feel so much sympathy for you. Why isn't your job hiring more people? Are you planning on leaving soon, take a break before graduate school starts? It sounds like a sinking ship to be honest. 

I'm trying to make a connection between the two... stealing credit card information and being overworked at your job... Did you/someone you know get their credit card stolen, or ....  what?

on a related note... I work in a certain area at my chemical plant. The process units each get 4 or more engineers to monitor their operations, while we get 1 engineer (me!)... And because we have so many shit to do due to years and years of negligence, I more or less detract from the whole operations scheme, and have made myself a project engineer. Even worse is that I'm planning to leave for grad school, my boss just got "promoted" to take on 2x more responsibility without the actual promotion part, the one person with 40 years of experience in our group is planning to retire, and nobody is doing anything to fill in those gaps. This feels like a sinking ship.

I have to prepare a course about a topic I'm not familiar with, but I'm so stressed out about my applications that I can't focus on anything. And now my neck is killing me, I can barely move my head! Terrible way to finish a weekend! =S

I work for an e-commerce firm and it is my job to fulfill every order and to make sure that the people that buy the company's product are not hackers. The issue is that even though we go through every risk assessment possible, there is still a lot of credit card fraud.

Long story short, my boss is getting sick of seeing all of the chargebacks so he is now threatening to take the money out of my paycheck because he thinks I am not being careful enough....forgetting the fact that they passed the risk assessment factor & that I have more tasks to do than to check out every order - btw, this was NOT part of the job description & he doesn't want to do it. Ergo, I am being over worked & I get screamed at by him & by our customers who feel that we're invading their privacy by instituting a risk assessment policy = asking for their state ID and/or passport. Nor am I being paid enough to be able to afford all of the chargebacks     = _ =. 

I feel so much sympathy for you. Why isn't your job hiring more people? Are you planning on leaving soon, take a break before graduate school starts? It sounds like a sinking ship to be honest. 

sounds like your situation sucks more. At least I have a really awesome boss, who understands my situation, considering he was in the same position for years. He's not one of those stuck up corporate guys who's fixated on $$ signs, which is pretty much all you see the higher up you go.

My sister is angry at me for deciding to attend a school that she claims she has always dreamed about going to (the first I've heard of this dream). Apparently she thinks I only applied so I could spite her, and my having attended there will forever taint the place, and make it impossible for her to go in the future.

Uh...I think it would make it easier for her to get in since that would make her a legacy? I am so confused.

My sister is angry at me for deciding to attend a school that she claims she has always dreamed about going to (the first I've heard of this dream). Apparently she thinks I only applied so I could spite her, and my having attended there will forever taint the place, and make it impossible for her to go in the future.

Thanks Spastic. 

Uh...I think it would make it easier for her to get in since that would make her a legacy? I am so confused.

Thanks Spastic. 

I don't know how the legacy thing works. We do have different last names, so that might impede things.

lolz It doesn't matter, as long as you guys can prove that you are related, it is a lot easier to get in. Legacy system : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_preferences

I've known idiots who have gotten into Ivies in undergrad just because their parents / siblings went to that institution. So just tell your sister that she will have a higher chance of getting in and that will make her happy :D

lolz It doesn't matter, as long as you guys can prove that you are related, it is a lot easier to get in. Legacy system : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_preferences

I've known idiots who have gotten into Ivies in undergrad just because their parents / siblings went to that institution. So just tell your sister that she will have a higher chance of getting in and that will make her happy :D

Seen it happen.  I'm not going to lie, I got a little schadenfreude from watching some known idiot/slacker types get in over their heads (by legacy) and then flounder miserably when reality kicked in and their progress didn't meet the expectations of their egos.

Ughh, I hate that I can get into basically all the grad schools I applied for, but I can't land a simple part-time job. What part of the game is that?!

And I hate that I can get into basically all the grad schools I applied for, but can't land some good funding.

VENTING because i'm so anxious to hear back from my program!  They asked me to retake the GRE for a higher score at the beginning of March...I went up from a 312 to a 316, and they haven't gotten back to me even after saying they have already reviewed everything else.  arrggghhh!!

How old is she? 9?

One of the undergrads from our lab who is a senior and graduating soon is taking 21 hrs credit hours this semester, while "working" in 4 different research groups (biology, chemistry, public health, and psychology) simultaneously.  Recently (2 weeks ago), she took the GRE and applied to "one" Ph.D. program in Chemistry at my school. 

I secretly thought, "girl puhleaze, do you really think the admissions committee is really that ....clueless? If you truly want to get a Ph.D. in Chemistry you would apply to a WIDE range of programs and not just one, and would have submitted your applications back in November! Isn't it obvious that this is a last minute thing because you got rejected from all the med schools you applied to?" 

Not to mention, she is having more Cs than As in chemistry classes....man, someone is truly delusional.
Edited by Quantum Buckyball

I have had a REALLY bad day today. Got two back-to-back rejects from SDSU and NCSU. Then received an email from Syracuse regarding my request for financial assistance. Short and brutal one liner saying all awards are merit-based and you do not qualify. I am literally dreading the ASU decision now because if it turns out to be a reject, I will have no other option left but Syracuse. I'm certain UCinn and UCI are gonna dish out rejects and I don't care about OKSU and South Carolina anyway. Down in the dumps right now. :(

1. DH's best friend is getting married (again.) They decided they needed to have it in the middle of a major city on a Thursday afternoon. Um... some people have to work. DH is mad at me since I'm not going to the wedding because I can't just skip my final presentation in grad school. I've been telling him to tell them that it doesn't work for us for months but nope, now he's mad at me and still hasn't told them. :angry:

2. Too many out-of-work people in the field for too few openings.

• 2 weeks later...

I've started procrastinating to an alarming extent after getting an admit to grad school. So not I have 3 major projects and 2 assignments to do in 3 weeks, apart from studying for exams coming up in a month :(

I am so screwed! I just want to graduate fast and get on with preparing for grad school. But this laziness is killing me!

I've started procrastinating to an alarming extent after getting an admit to grad school. So not I have 3 major projects and 2 assignments to do in 3 weeks, apart from studying for exams coming up in a month :(

I am so screwed! I just want to graduate fast and get on with preparing for grad school. But this laziness is killing me!

Oh do I feel your pain! I procrastinated a bit more than usual for a while after getting my admit, and now I'm paying the price! Finishing up one paper, writing another and studying for an exam. Can't wait for it all to be over!! 

I just spent my whole weekend reading on how UK students think American students are a joke, particularly Oxford students to Harvard students. 

Makes me almost regret choosing a UK school over an American school.

For future reference, avoid TSR.

I know that I am a grown up now, but I just really wish that my chosen grad school would acknowledge that I exist! I haven't been able to get ANY information from them unless I call them. Aaaannd, I just found out that I won't get any of my financial aid information until I finish the pre-requisite stats class in August. Seriously?! I don't even know if I will be told when/if TA positions or university scholarships open (or maybe they are all gone?) since I am only "conditionally admitted". I wish that I had been able to apply to more programs, but this is the only social work program in my area and I can't move right now.

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I HATE DEALING WITH MONEY!!

*end rant*