Venting Thread- Vent about anything.

Feeling kind of annoyed after I asked my professor for an LOR. They said yes and they are trying to be helpful, but they are also projecting their own agenda onto me. (I was talking to a friend about this and they said that people projecting onto me is a trigger point). I'm really determined to prove my professor WRONG with my personal statement to show them what my actual interests are. I am not just a ploy to fulfill someone else's agenda. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just want to know where I'll be in 6 months. I. Just. Want. To. Know.

Snow.   F*ckin' snow.   Can't they do anything about all the damned snow?!   Signed,  Everybody on the Eastern Seaboard.

thanks for sharing

Posted Images

• 2 months later...
On 05/02/2014 at 9:14 AM, starofdawn said:

Yeah, same feels, if you were referring to admission decision and stuff. 

I have been waiting for the Admission decisions' , and sometimes it just goes to a dead end point! 

I have a feeling that checking gradcafe wouldn't exactly alleviate those feelings! And yet here we are.

I wrote to one of the programs and I received a reply stating that we would get to know the results by April. Are you kidding me?!! That's 1/3 of a year of waiting. The whole process is designed to drive us insane, although I do understand why it takes that long.

20 hours ago, cannonfodder said:

I have a feeling that checking gradcafe wouldn't exactly alleviate those feelings! And yet here we are.

I wrote to one of the programs and I received a reply stating that we would get to know the results by April. Are you kidding me?!! That's 1/3 of a year of waiting. The whole process is designed to drive us insane, although I do understand why it takes that long.

Yeah, we do realise the entire process, but at the end of the day, we are just anxious souls!

Anyway, hope you got where you wanted to be, and all's going well. (Since yours was kinda old post! ). 

On 05/02/2014 at 9:14 AM, starofdawn said:

Yeah, same feels, if you were referring to admission decision and stuff. 

I have been waiting for the Admission decisions' , and sometimes it just goes to a dead end point! 

13 hours ago, cannonfodder said:

Nah, I haven't really received an offer of admission yet but I guess I should wait. At worst, I'll fracture my fingers refreshing my email. :D

Wish you luck!  

I'm not asking you about where you have applied, cause majority of people in grad cafe apply to universities which are outta ambitious zone for me! Lol. 

I just need to vent about this:

I emailed the admissions department of a school to ask how applying by the Early Decision deadline would influence when I would receive my decision. I got a boilerplate "you get it when you get it" email that they were clearly sending en masse to anyone who had "decision" in their subject line. What's the point of Early Decision deadlines if it doesn't expedite the decision? I guess what bothers me the most is that they didn't even bother to pay attention to the email.

Anyway.

I'm still somewhat upset at the pandemic for kind of ruin the admissions process and funding for future students this year. I'm kind of sad I couldn't apply to some schools and that others might be taking in less students...The pandemic also kind of destroyed my mental health 😕 and maybe that's the thing that upsets me the most.

On the upside, I feel way more mentally balanced now that school is over. Things don't feel so overwhelming and I am giving myself spare time and room to breathe and think. I'm so thankful! 

Edited by fossati
On 2/5/2021 at 1:05 AM, cannonfodder said:

I didn't really apply to many places in the US, just LA, Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin. What about you?

BU, ISU, USF, University of Buffalo, UTD, UAB, UMass.  I have got admit from University of Buffalo, and rejects from BU, ISU, USF, UMass. 

On 2/13/2021 at 11:26 PM, fossati said:

I'm still somewhat upset at the pandemic for kind of ruin the admissions process and funding for future students this year. I'm kind of sad I couldn't apply to some schools and that others might be taking in less students...The pandemic also kind of destroyed my mental health 😕 and maybe that's the thing that upsets me the most.

On the upside, I feel way more mentally balanced now that school is over. Things don't feel so overwhelming and I am giving myself spare time and room to breathe and think. I'm so thankful! 

I understand. I wish for you strength and hope to get through, everything's going to turn out in best possible way. ❤️❤️ 

My dissertation project is at a stand still because I'm waiting for some collaborators to get their stuff together.  I'm starting to put a little more pressure on, and now my PI is getting involved, because this is starting to go on a little too long.  It's frustrating!

How am I supposed to figure out my housing for fall if I have no idea if I'm funded or not? I can't even apply for jobs in my new city because I'm not sure I'll be able to work part-time and juggle an assistantship (if I get one). I have to sell my house and find an apartment, but I have no earthly idea what my income will be like and therefore my budget. I hope they get back to me before everything is leased out for fall.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2021 at 12:42 AM, ProAtOverthinking said:

BU, ISU, USF, University of Buffalo, UTD, UAB, UMass.  I have got admit from University of Buffalo, and rejects from BU, ISU, USF, UMass. 

Mind if I ask you how long it took to hear back from BU, USF, and UMass? I applied to USF, BU, UMass Amherst and UMass Boston. Have tried contacting the program as Amherst and USF were supposed to come back already, but I'm not getting anywhere and it makes me really nervous. 

On 3/1/2021 at 11:50 PM, BloodstainedRoses said:

Mind if I ask you how long it took to hear back from BU, USF, and UMass? I applied to USF, BU, UMass Amherst and UMass Boston. Have tried contacting the program as Amherst and USF were supposed to come back already, but I'm not getting anywhere and it makes me really nervous. 

I would be happy to reply, cause I know how distressful it is. 

It actually depends on the specific program you have applied to. I had applied to Molecular and Cell Biology PhD program. 

So, for program specific timelines, I heard from UMass, USF, BU  in the early February when the deadline for submitting the application  was Dec 1st; Jan 1st and tenth of Dec respectively. 

Try emailing them, more specifically to the program-specific admission office. 

I hope you get into a good university ASAP. GOOD LUCK! 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my god, I am SO glad this exists. Just came from TSR, and I want to vent here some more.

In short, I received two offers from top 20 schools (with one being a top 5 school). I turned down one already, and will most likely have to turn the other one down if I don't get funding (funding is very scarce for my major, as I am an international student and in the humanities). I am so infuriated -- is this what heartbreak feels like? 😂

Without funding, an acceptance is essentially a rejection. I'm starting to question if grad school is really for me, since the whole application process was awful to say the least. To think that I will probably have to go through it again in a few months is driving me insane

• 8 months later...

I've been in grad school for a while now and I still feel like I'm not getting anywhere with my degree/professional development and am maybe even getting dumber as time goes on? Largely because I have been stuck on one project for so long that was meant to only take a short while at the very beginning of my PhD but has taken MUCH longer to complete, and it's really crushing my spirit. And because it has crushed my spirit so, I just have such a hard time finding motivation to complete my experiments. Of course this plus the pandemic just completely burned me out for a while and I only recently have felt like I've started to recover. But I'm still not fully there, and definitely not recovered enough to feel excited again about this project I once was so so SO excited about doing. So I'm just trudging through these experiments, getting a fraction of the data I needed to achieve the impact I wanted to with the paper, all to get this presentation/publication out of the way so I can start fresh with a new study that will hopefully revive my love of science and research.