Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
coldgoddess

Please be thoughtful, guys...

Recommended Posts

Many of my friends and I myself are still on the waitlist.

Could someone who already got lots of ADs just withdraw at least one or two of them???

I know they are very strong in their background, but I really want their thoughtfulness to help us fulfill our dreams.

If you are sure that you are not going somewhere, please withdraw them as soon as possible...

That is our hope for a lifetime...

The waiting is killing me.

I want to know whether I will be crazy first or my AD will come first.

I almost want to die.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YES!!!

I'M DYING SQUIRTLE!!!

Please decline..now...

However, I'm an asshole sitting on a few offers waiting to get off a waitlist, because I don't want to screw myself if I don't get off the waitlist. It is a tangled web we weave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there have been at least 5 threads on this topic already. I know you're both new to GC...just sayin'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This IS the waiting forum. I would expect multiple posts about the same thing. How many ways can the angst of waiting be expressed? A lot of repetition there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
YES!!!

I'M DYING SQUIRTLE!!!

Please decline..now...

However, I'm an asshole sitting on a few offers waiting to get off a waitlist, because I don't want to screw myself if I don't get off the waitlist. It is a tangled web we weave.

I'm not sure you should really be asking people to decline spots, since you are keeping open three spots to wait and hear from a WL school. If you think other people should decline offers they won't accept, why haven't you declined 1-2 of your acceptances?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have any extra offers that I'm holding on to at the moment, just one acceptance and one waitlist. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love to know where this imaginary army of people who are holding onto spots just for fun are. :roll: Seems to me that most people who haven't declined yet have good reason, like needing to know how funding will shake out, or needing a safety off a waitlist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I love to know where this imaginary army of people who are holding onto spots just for fun are. :roll: Seems to me that most people who haven't declined yet have good reason, like needing to know how funding will shake out, or needing a safety off a waitlist.

Exactly. Nobody is jerk enough to just hold on to an acceptance for no reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly. Nobody is jerk enough to just hold on to an acceptance for no reason.

Trust me, I know of at least one. The top ranker of my dept has acceptances from Penn State, Syracuse, Stony Brook, CMU and U Chicago (for Physics) and he's 100% sure that he will attend U Chicago. However to satisfy his ego, he is still waiting on a few others to count how many offers he'll end up with. His own close buddies (batchmates of ours) are on waiting lists at Stony Brook and that's their first choice! He simply refuses to withdraw/decline now. I guess these guys have to wait until the 15th but they have a few other second string offers which they HAVE to accept. Then things become complicated if Stony then offers a place to one of them. They would then have to go through the unpleasant procedure of getting a release from the schools they'd accepted offers from.

There do exist jerks who do this for fun, trust me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The original request was to be thoughtful. . .

Which includes not only letting go of offers you know you won't accept, but maybe even being thoughtful in your reply here. I'm on a waitlist and the worst part about it is the utter lack of control. I viewed this post as an attempt to influence (in an abstract way) what at this point feels like the force of fate. Giving a slight push back. . .

And of course there are people out there treating this as a game. It happened to me in high school. One of my best friends applied to my top choice school "just to see" if she could get in-- actually said she'd never go there. This happened to be a school that explicitly stated they compare applicants from the same schools. While I thought I was the better fit for the college (in part because I actually knew everything about it!) I was up against the valedictorian who was graduating at 16. She got in. Maybe I wouldn't have anyway, but it was terrible to have to wonder. . .

Anyway, I think this process induces paranoia on both sides. Those on the waitlist worry that there are people out there hanging on to offers for no good reason. Those with the offers are worried about making the wrong choice or sealing the deal for one reason or another. I hate that the answer to almost every question on here is "be patient. be calm. think about the other parts of your life." but it's usually the best response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Was being ironic...

I'm confused. You were being ironic when you asked people to decline spots now in this thread, and on at least one other thread, because you're holding on to at least 2* more spots than necessary? Or were you being ironic when you called yourself an asshole for said behavior, because really, you don't think you are an asshole at all?

*Since you have 3 acceptances, and in another thread have mentioned that you will take your #2 choice if you don't get off the waitlist of your #1 choice, I assume acceptances to choices 3 and 4 are superfluous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would decline, but I know none of you are waiting for a spot at my schools. Plus, I am still surfing the pipe dream of funding.

With all of us gnashing over funding, I wonder if some of the schools dependent on student tuition will find themselves with low yield. . . (especially those progs that offer no particular ROI).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those holding on to one spot while waiting to get off the waitlist at another, do you guys think it would be OK to ask for a one week extension from the school you have an offer from in order to visit the other school, if you get off the waitlist in the next week but don't have time to visit?

Has anyone inquired about this? Do you think it would be appropriate. I am anxious to get off the waitlist at Penn, but even if I did, I wouldn't accept without visiting first.

PS: I declined the only other offer I had over a month ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
For those holding on to one spot while waiting to get off the waitlist at another, do you guys think it would be OK to ask for a one week extension from the school you have an offer from in order to visit the other school, if you get off the waitlist in the next week but don't have time to visit?

Has anyone inquired about this? Do you think it would be appropriate. I am anxious to get off the waitlist at Penn, but even if I did, I wouldn't accept without visiting first.

PS: I declined the only other offer I had over a month ago.

I don't think that would be appropriate. You should visit Penn if you think you would go if you were accepted from the waitlist, and if you don't...well at least you know for next time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Believe you me, I would be ecstatic to be able to turn down any of my schools so others can edge in, because if I was in such a position that would mean I had financial information from all of them. But I don't, so I can't. I could end up at any of the potential schools right now, or at none if funding doesn't come through from somewhere. I'm not collecting paper trophies or playing some high school game, I'm just stuck waiting for information like you guys on the waitlists are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think that would be appropriate. You should visit Penn if you think you would go if you were accepted from the waitlist, and if you don't...well at least you know for next time.

I'm not allowed to visit until I am officially accepted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.