ETH Zurich ESOP Results 2014

dhivyabharathi

Both. She started of with questions about my motivation and then went on to more technical questions when we discussed my proposal and undergraduate thesis. Regarding my undergraduate thesis, she asked about my results and asked how I used the data (what tests I used and their limitations) to come to that conclusion. She also asked me about the technical aspects of my proposal and about previous academic research on the topic. 

Your questions should be similar since she told me that the questions are somewhat set since they are limited to 15 minutes per interview.

Regarding the decisions, would you happen to know when it will roughly come out? My interviewer did tell me that she had to forward the endorsement ASAP since the rectorate wanted it already or something to that effect.

Does everybody who applied for ESOP are interviewed before taking decisions? Bcoz it seems some departments have not sent any mail regarding ESOP yet. any idea?

Cool! Thanks for the in-depth information regarding the interview! The part about the undergrad thesis gave me something to think about. This question would suck though, since our undergrad thesis is basically just a literature review... Well, not my fault, i guess :-)

I might hazard a guess. Keep in mind that this really is just a guess though, since i haven't really got any more information than you on that matter :-)

Judging from the few gradcafe-survey results they seem to stick closely to the deadline, so i would not really expect an answer before, let's say, the 10th of March or so.

Does everybody who applied for ESOP are interviewed before taking decisions? Bcoz it seems some departments have not sent any mail regarding ESOP yet. any idea?

No certainly not everybody is interviewed, that was kinda my point. People are shortlisted first and then - at least thats what official documents say - the people on the shortlist are interviewed. Sadly, one could conclude that that probably means that one's not on the shortlist if there was no invitation for an interview.

On the other hand i have no idea when they start interviews. If you found someone from CS who already did his/her interview you might get a clue about that.

Edited by MikeTC

• 2 weeks later...

No idea. I still think no interview is as good as a reject as of now.

At least i got admitted to my masters half an hour ago ;-)

Not getting the ESOP is not the end of the world. I suppose there's a lot of luck involved too anyway...

Hello,

I received an email yesterday night from Silvia Biedermann stating that I have received the ESOP award. I was interviewed on February 3, 2014 for the scholarship.

Best,

K

Edited by kcmw_2014

• 1 year later...

Hey,

I know the topic is from last year's application period, but I have some information that can be useful to people looking at this thread now (I was actually looking at it a week ago, so I know there are people out there interested in this):

No certainly not everybody is interviewed, that was kinda my point. People are shortlisted first and then - at least thats what official documents say - the people on the shortlist are interviewed. Sadly, one could conclude that that probably means that one's not on the shortlist if there was no invitation for an interview.

On the other hand i have no idea when they start interviews. If you found someone from CS who already did his/her interview you might get a clue about that.

I recently got accepted to a Master's at ETH (March 9th) and only two days later (March 11th) received the confirmation that I had been awarded the ESOP. Hence, you don't necessarily need to be interviewed in order to receive the scholarship. I think this is important, because at least in my case it was disappointing to read that you needed to be interviewed in order to get a chance at the scholarshipsince I didn't get that interview and I just assumed I wasn't a potential candidate anymore.

Hope this can be useful. If anybody happens to have any questions, I will very gladly answer them. I mean, I don't have too much info myself, but I'm sure I would be able to help some of you out there with some of t he simpler questions.

Cheers,

- L

• 3 years later...