Favorite Rejection Quotes from the Results Page

NoChance

13 hours ago, BellaBendrix said:

What school was that? Cornell had a similar comment. As a native speaker of Spanish and EFL teacher with working experience in Top US colleges, let me tell you: I corrected more English than Spanish grammar, and I was a Spanish T.A.

I don't know whether to be mad or be scared of what awaits me.

I think it was either Syracuse or UMASS--it's gone now, so I don't know for sure. There was an acceptance right before it from someone who claimed to be a student in China that featured some admittedly non-standard grammar that's also been removed. I just assumed, since they were posted so close together, that it was one person being either very bitter or very bored. Who knows though. 

My current favorite:

mfa.thumb.PNG.7d767745c51d94f22f531a1abd

15 hours ago, BellaBendrix said:

What school was that? Cornell had a similar comment. As a native speaker of Spanish and EFL teacher with working experience in Top US colleges, let me tell you: I corrected more English than Spanish grammar, and I was a Spanish T.A.

I don't know whether to be mad or be scared of what awaits me.

I don't remember what school... I think feeling both mad and scared are valid responses!

I'm trolling the survey page for computer science programs. University of Washington has a top program, and a slew of rejections have been posted recently. One bitter UW applicant writes

• Notification Mail essentially said, "We are a graduate admissions committee: bunch of pussies, who rely heavily on previous data points of excellence to predict your success in graduate school. We make the safest choices and go home politically correct"

Yikes! Well, I'm one of those left hanging -- all my doctoral programs have accepted others or invited them to interviews, and none have contacted me. So maybe I'll post my own bitter reaction if the rejections finally do come through. :P 

So why did these people pay good money to apply to this school? :rolleyes:

"Take a second to look at the CVs of their current students. Sans degrees from well known institutions (or, Ivy Leagues universities), they have little to offer in terms of formal training in critical thinking. Their students present at piss poor conferences, too (like NYSCA). Waste of money. Only applied because I wanted to live in NYC."

"Yeah everyone knows MCC blows. Have you looked at their placement rate lately? Oh yeah, you can't because it's nearly non existent. Don't worry, you can find their students at the National Communication Association. NO WAIT - you can't do that either because none of their students understand disciplinarity. They are all psuedo anthropologists and sociologists. This program is a joke and I can't wait to turn down admission. My adviser was right."

On 18/02/2016 at 1:02 PM, jellyfish11 said:

This was an anthro acceptance at UC Santa Cruz, and while it is not a rejection, it is the most obnoxious thing ever: 

• "Update from previous. Found the official e-mail from the department head. Funding was $53,100 for 3 years, on my own after that. Won several scholarships and tuition remission. Subsequent personalized e-mail from department head stating positives about program and telling me I would be a leading force in the departmental research. Declined offer for something better. Good luck to  waitlisters." 

Seriously? i have no words.

That was actually mine.  I made it overly douchey on purpose for a laugh.  The funding is true (it was $53.1k per year for 3 years, minus tuition).  My badddd

"Had bad vibes about this school since the application process. Got accepted elsewhere. Their loss. Fuck em." from a SUNY Binghampton history PhD applicant with a 3.4 GPA, verbal GRE at the 8th percentile, and quant at the 12th percentile.

The scores are so bad that I almost feel like it's a troll.

EDIT:  Weird, that one's from 2012.  My search must be all wonky.

Edited by fortsibut

From UMass, Creative Writing-Fiction MFA:

"Honestly, how hard is it for a Writing Department to write a decent denial letter? While it's highly likely I'll need to reapply to programs next year, it's a certainty I'll not be reapplying here. Your communications reflect your program's personality, people, and yours screams Soulless Robot."

I feel for them, but some need to realize that there are SO many things outside of your control when you apply that you shouldn't blacklist an entire department/school over a rejection or because of a basic rejection letter.

University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, Physics:

"waitlisted and then rejected. Thank you for not declining offers in time."

Orrrr....you know, everyone else accepted it ahead of you or you were low on the waitlist?  The amount of salt sometimes is strong!

6 minutes ago, Euler said:
  • They rejected me even though my mile PR is 6:02. Interesting. I guess I really did need to go sub-6.

Bahaha, nice. I enjoyed this one:

• Arizona? More like AriNOna. Arizona? More like SQUAREizona. Arizona? More like ArizoNAHHHHH.

On 2/27/2016 at 7:32 AM, juanmesh said:

Still not sure what to make of this "acceptance" from last year. I reported it as spam some time back but not sure that does anything. Anyone find it funny?

hr_clinton.png

I only find it funny how butthurt this guy is.

8 hours ago, juanmesh said:

Of course, fully aware of this. Was wondering if anyone finds it funny.

Oh I see that now, my bad! I appreciate the intent but it wasn't well executed :P

Well. There's this one. Just know that you're not the only one in bummer town. The population is growing this month...

University Of Texas At Austin (New Writers Project) Creative Writing Poetry, MFA (F16) Rejected via E-mail on 2 Mar 2016 A 2 Mar 2016
  • 1a/0w/1r rnLove this program! Bummer town, population=me

Harvard (Applied Mathematics), PhD (F16) Rejected via E-mail on 7 Mar 2016

I know I'm smarter than all the Chinese that got in over me

So salty. 

Edited by Stats2016

On 2/25/2016 at 2:41 PM, RCtheSS said:

Bahaha, nice. I enjoyed this one:

• Arizona? More like AriNOna. Arizona? More like SQUAREizona. Arizona? More like ArizoNAHHHHH.

Man, three good rejection quotes in one!

Right after it...

• To to poster below, it's refreshing to know Harvard rejected a racist like you.

...coming from another person who was accepted to the same program. Mmmm, karma.

• 2 weeks later...
UC Davis (University Of California, Davis) Statistics, PhD (F16) Rejected via E-mail on 16 Mar 2016  U 16 Mar 2016
  • hate myself too
UC Davis Statistics, PhD (F16) Rejected via E-mail on 16 Mar 2016  U 16 Mar 2016
  • Hate my life too. Will do research for one year and apply next year!!
Purdue Statistics, PhD (F16) Rejected via E-mail on 16 Mar 2016  U 16 Mar 2016
  • I hate my life

Noticing a trend among statistics applicants. This is soon to be me.