Favorite Rejection Quotes from the Results Page

NoChance

Just now, daradara said:

That is a relief. I was on my way to questioning the integrity of Wisconsin as an institution. ?

I'm beginning to think that I should've added a /joke tag or something to that result!  Nothing but love for Wisconsin and I'm truly happy for those who got in ahead of me.  ? 

Just now, fortsibut said:

I'm beginning to think that I should've added a /joke tag or something to that result!  Nothing but love for Wisconsin and I'm truly happy for those who got in ahead of me.  ? 

lol we’re all too stressed to get humor at this point, apparently 

Stanford sociology and Yale clinical psychology..wow I am scared of people when looking at those posts. Stanford one I also think he/she is inconsiderate, but watching people saying he/she is a spitting cat or something bad scares me...but anyway I have only slim chance to get an offer, so actually I don't have to worry about ppl in academia.  

Edited by mememe_

2 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

That is just f****ed

That is actual torture ? I'm one of those people who will freak out after just reading the subject line and first few words so I'd probably run around excited like I got accepted only to look further and be defeated. 

9 hours ago, crackademik said:

That is actual torture ? I'm one of those people who will freak out after just reading the subject line and first few words so I'd probably run around excited like I got accepted only to look further and be defeated. 

Seeing the word "admission" had me do a double take last night, then I saw the name of the attached letter and any suspense at the decision dissipated.

image.thumb.png.f78b51eb6aafa0072cdd5217765c3f13.png

5 minutes ago, pyramidstuds said:

Seeing the word "admission" had me do a double take last night, then I saw the name of the attached letter and any suspense at the decision dissipated.

image.thumb.png.f78b51eb6aafa0072cdd5217765c3f13.png

“Decline.pdf” ???? How original of them. I’m sorry ?

2 minutes ago, crackademik said:

“Decline.pdf” ???? How original of them. I’m sorry ?

Thanks! It's alright--this is the biggest stretch application I submitted (Cornell) and this came as no surprise.

As I was about to pay another application fee I thought "do I really wanna waste $105 on this?" but thought what the hell, and here I am, $105 poorer. Alas!

3 minutes ago, pyramidstuds said:

Thanks! It's alright--this is the biggest stretch application I submitted (Cornell) and this came as no surprise.

As I was about to pay another application fee I thought "do I really wanna waste $105 on this?" but thought what the hell, and here I am, $105 poorer. Alas!

At least it was a reach. I got rejected by the lowest tier school I applied to only two days after the deadline. This school had a preapplication to screen for qualified applicants, so I did it, and they told me to apply because I had a good chance of acceptance. It was the biggest waste of 70$ I’ve ever spent. I almost feel like they only told me I was qualified so they could take my money. 

57 minutes ago, crackademik said:

At least it was a reach. I got rejected by the lowest tier school I applied to only two days after the deadline. This school had a preapplication to screen for qualified applicants, so I did it, and they told me to apply because I had a good chance of acceptance. It was the biggest waste of 70$ I’ve ever spent. I almost feel like they only told me I was qualified so they could take my money. 

Wtf? Is that common--pre-app screening--in chemistry?

The more time I spend on this site, seeing people get rejected after having promising interactions with faculty, makes me think that there's a culture around not pre-rejecting applicants in order to make a few bucks on app fees. Even if people are obviously not a fit. This is different from your case, which seems more objective and just generally shady. I mean those of us who had actual conversations with people who empowered us to apply.

Maybe everyone else will see this comment and think "uh, duh, pyramidstuds, how naive are you?!" but I'm reflecting back on my pre-application exchanges, and also the fact that it just makes sense. At least with this Cornell experience, my POI did tell me ahead of time they were accepting a tiny cohort, and also, she nudged me towards others who may be a better fit than she.

1 hour ago, pyramidstuds said:

Wtf? Is that common--pre-app screening--in chemistry?

The more time I spend on this site, seeing people get rejected after having promising interactions with faculty, makes me think that there's a culture around not pre-rejecting applicants in order to make a few bucks on app fees. Even if people are obviously not a fit. This is different from your case, which seems more objective and just generally shady. I mean those of us who had actual conversations with people who empowered us to apply.

Maybe everyone else will see this comment and think "uh, duh, pyramidstuds, how naive are you?!" but I'm reflecting back on my pre-application exchanges, and also the fact that it just makes sense. At least with this Cornell experience, my POI did tell me ahead of time they were accepting a tiny cohort, and also, she nudged me towards others who may be a better fit than she.

It’s not particularly common, but a few schools do it, which in theory is helpful when deciding where to put your money. I definitely think some schools bait and switch to make money of off application fees (even though it doesn’t seem practical). It’s pretty ridiculous considering it’s not really that much money. Let’s say a school has 700 applicants (which is pretty outrageous) that all pay 70$ for an app fee. That’s 49k, which is chump change for a chemistry program. That’s not even enough to buy a new mass spec or pay an additional faculty member.

edit: the only motive I could see is if a sketchy admissions person is pocketing the fees if that’s even possible

Edited by crackademik

26 minutes ago, crackademik said:

It’s not particularly common, but a few schools do it, which in theory is helpful when deciding where to put your money. I definitely think some schools bait and switch to make money of off application fees (even though it doesn’t seem practical). It’s pretty ridiculous considering it’s not really that much money. Let’s say a school has 700 applicants (which is pretty outrageous) that all pay 70$ for an app fee. That’s 49k, which is chump change for a chemistry program. That’s not even enough to buy a new mass spec or pay an additional faculty member.

edit: the only motive I could see is if a sketchy admissions person is pocketing the fees if that’s even possible

Yeah, I agree it seems like a negligible amount, but either tons of us have mismanaged expectations based on positive faculty interactions...or there's a general culture of encouragement (even with applicants who are not a good fit). Maybe that's okay, though. Maybe I'm viewing it the wrong way, and in fact this helps the applicant pool to be as diverse as possible--that might be the real benefit to the program, not the $.

Your story just got me stuck on the $ aspect! Denied in 2 days. So rude.

2 minutes ago, historygeek said:

Oof, looks like decision season is leaving McGill linguistics candidates on edge.

Holy shit, that's so dark. I hope that the initial poster is doing ok, looks like they're taking it pretty hard.

Also, @pyramidstuds, that is such a messed up email subject line. Hope you do very well in UNC!

Just now, elx said:

Holy shit, that's so dark. I hope that the initial poster is doing ok, looks like they're taking it pretty hard.

Also, @pyramidstuds, that is such a messed up email subject line. Hope you do very well in UNC!

Thank you, @elx!

And I actually came to post (following my recent thoughts above) about this McGill "scammer" person. Looks like they're breaking down the math on this theory...

10 hours ago, historygeek said:

Oof, looks like decision season is leaving McGill linguistics candidates on edge.

The History candidates seem like the most gentle people in the world compared to some of these other disciplines! ?

On 2/15/2019 at 10:59 PM, crackademik said:

Oh man.  When I get a rejection, I don't even read most of the words, I just scan quickly for the word "unfortunately" or "unable."  Then I close it and move on. xD

11 hours ago, historygeek said:

Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 2.07.33 PM.png

Their usage of the English language is so beautifully eloquent and sophisticated, I'm honestly incapable of truly grasping its intricacies with my limited understanding of linguistics.  McGill truly missed out on some seriously superlative linguists.  Their grammar alone is supreme. 

giphy.gif

33 minutes ago, Ternwild said:

Oh man.  When I get a rejection, I don't even read most of the words, I just scan quickly for the word "unfortunately" or "unable."  Then I close it and move on. xD

Give it a few years until the rejection letters move into "inferior," "unqualified," or "unworthy" territory. 

28 minutes ago, Ternwild said:

Their usage of the English language is so beautifully eloquent and sophisticated, I'm honestly incapable of truly grasping its intricacies with my limited understanding of linguistics.  McGill truly missed out on some seriously superlative linguists.  Their grammar alone is supreme. 

giphy.gif

Lmao ?? 

This one is v inspiring. 

McGill University Linguistics, PhD (S19) Other via Other on 16 Feb 2019 O 16 Feb 2019
  • report spam
  • @ McGill discussion. Another voice here; not an applicant to McGill. I sympathise with the frustration that a long and arduous application process brings, and with the psychological unrest that such a rejection can engender. However, this is a results page. It should not, I believe, constitute a forum for you to engage in the spirited venting of these feelings. This type of negativity reflects very poorly on all of us – please remember that these comments will remain in the results for years to come, for future generations of anxious, hopeful students to peruse. Remember, too, that this path – not unlike anything in life – is full of disappointment and rejection. If you can't stomach it in a civil manner and have the maturity to create a decent example for others, then perhaps you should indeed reconsider your devotion to a professional career in academia. Best wishes.
Edited by strawberrycows