Favorite Rejection Quotes from the Results Page

NoChance

5 hours ago, strawberrycows said:

This one is v inspiring. 

McGill University Linguistics, PhD (S19) Other via Other on 16 Feb 2019 O 16 Feb 2019
  • report spam
  • @ McGill discussion. Another voice here; not an applicant to McGill. I sympathise with the frustration that a long and arduous application process brings, and with the psychological unrest that such a rejection can engender. However, this is a results page. It should not, I believe, constitute a forum for you to engage in the spirited venting of these feelings. This type of negativity reflects very poorly on all of us – please remember that these comments will remain in the results for years to come, for future generations of anxious, hopeful students to peruse. Remember, too, that this path – not unlike anything in life – is full of disappointment and rejection. If you can't stomach it in a civil manner and have the maturity to create a decent example for others, then perhaps you should indeed reconsider your devotion to a professional career in academia. Best wishes.

It is, but it’s also cluttering up the results page with more non-results, which won’t really help future applicants nor stop people from using the function as a venue for yelling at each other anyway.

1 hour ago, fortsibut said:

It is, but it’s also cluttering up the results page with more non-results, which won’t really help future applicants nor stop people from using the function as a venue for yelling at each other anyway.

Report all of them as spam.

3 hours ago, fortsibut said:

Not to mention, it has the real likelihood of shaking the nearly sleeping cat and continuing the chain of responses rather than what would have probably been if it were left alone. 

16 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

Damn, some of these results make me really happy to be in the English forum, where people are nice, lol.

Haha, I know what you mean, we're a pretty nice bunch over in History a well, and the results page is usually pretty tame aside from the occasional "Pfft I'm the most incredible person ever, why would these plebs reject me" (I mean the ones when they're *actually* being serious and think they're entitled to being admitted to every school. I really do appreciate the ironic takes on "it's their loss!"), which honestly I find kind of funny most of the time.

I understand people being a little angry sometimes, but those really intense anger bursts make me so uncomfortable!

5 hours ago, Karou said:

Haha, I know what you mean, we're a pretty nice bunch over in History a well, and the results page is usually pretty tame aside from the occasional "Pfft I'm the most incredible person ever, why would these plebs reject me" (I mean the ones when they're *actually* being serious and think they're entitled to being admitted to every school. I really do appreciate the ironic takes on "it's their loss!"), which honestly I find kind of funny most of the time.

I understand people being a little angry sometimes, but those really intense anger bursts make me so uncomfortable!

I'm so sure I've literally seen the word 'plebs' being used, in a non-ironic context. It makes my skin crawl!

1 hour ago, elx said:

I'm so sure I've literally seen the word 'plebs' being used, in a non-ironic context. It makes my skin crawl!

Good lord. I just went to take a peek and wow, the level of toxicity is outrageous. The only linguistics students I've ever met were so nice - who are these people?? My undergrad has a reputation for producing arrogant/elitist attitudes and even so I've never seen someone non-ironically use 'pleb' to describe people. Yeesh.

Columbia University English, PhD (F19) Rejected via Website on 20 Feb 2019 A 20 Feb 2019
  • Dreams-- crushed. Hours and hours spent courting Columbia POIs-- wasted. To the poster below who wrote: "Columbia was my safety school"-- My eyes cannot roll far enough back into my head.
Columbia University English, PhD (F19) Rejected via E-mail on 20 Feb 2019 A 20 Feb 2019
  • fu**ing finally
Columbia University (GSAS) English And Comparative Literature, PhD (F19) Rejected via Website on 20 Feb 2019  A 20 Feb 2019
  • Received email telling me to log in for decision. GPA is for a recent standalone MA.
Columbia GSAS English, PhD (F19) Rejected via E-mail on 20 Feb 2019  A 20 Feb 2019
  • Email to check portal. Disappointing. It says I will be considered for a masters without funding and hear soon from that--so it'll be cool to have another rejection to look forward to.
Columbia GSAS English, PhD (F19) Rejected via Website on 20 Feb 2019   20 Feb 2019
  • To the person below who called Columbia their “safety school” ... eat poo
Columbia University English, PhD (F19) Rejected via Website on 20 Feb 2019   20 Feb 2019
  • That’s really so adorable. They’re probably using my application fee as toilet paper
Columbia University (GSAS) English, PhD (F19) Rejected via Website on 20 Feb 2019  A 20 Feb 2019
  •  
Columbia University English, PhD (F19) Rejected via E-mail on 20 Feb 2019  I 20 Feb 2019
  • report spam
  • Columbia was my safety school lmfao but am very relieved to finally receive an email

On 2/17/2019 at 8:17 AM, fortsibut said:

This is so real ugh it upsets me when all I see are comments to other results like “hey did anyone hear back yet?” or “to poster below: what are your stats?”

University Of Washington English, PhD (F19) Rejected via E-mail on 21 Feb 2019 A 20 Feb 2019
  • report spam
  • Me: *dramatically sings to try and increase my chances of admission* UW: I'm sorry, it's a no from me.
Stanford University Marketing, PhD (F19) Rejected via E-mail on 20 Feb 2019 U 20 Feb 2019

That'll teach em

Image2.jpg

The physics results page is turned into some sort of comment sections...there's pages and pages like this.  See for yourself... 2019, the year when people turn the results page into a forum.

On 2/16/2019 at 11:35 PM, pyramidstuds said:

Wtf? Is that common--pre-app screening--in chemistry?

The more time I spend on this site, seeing people get rejected after having promising interactions with faculty, makes me think that there's a culture around not pre-rejecting applicants in order to make a few bucks on app fees. Even if people are obviously not a fit. This is different from your case, which seems more objective and just generally shady. I mean those of us who had actual conversations with people who empowered us to apply.

Maybe everyone else will see this comment and think "uh, duh, pyramidstuds, how naive are you?!" but I'm reflecting back on my pre-application exchanges, and also the fact that it just makes sense. At least with this Cornell experience, my POI did tell me ahead of time they were accepting a tiny cohort, and also, she nudged me towards others who may be a better fit than she.

Being rejected after promising interactions with faculty pretty common. I had a very positive interaction with one of the Profs at TAMU. He was very positive although he was doubtful about the funding. But he did assure that he would come up with something by Jan.

End result: Rejected. Apparently, the admission committee found me not 'competitive' enough compared to other candidates.

8 hours ago, Ternwild said:

The physics results page is turned into some sort of comment sections...there's pages and pages like this.  See for yourself... 2019, the year when people turn the results page into a forum.

Ugh, they're being so inconsiderate to future students.

7 hours ago, ENVIRONMENTGUY said:

End result: Rejected. Apparently, the admission committee found me not 'competitive' enough compared to other candidates.

Mate, listen, I went to undergrad at TAMU and let me tell you, they did you a favour.  That university is awful.  The tiny little town, College Station, is so sad and run down.  You aren't missing anything, man.  Save your time for a school that deserves it.

Holy shit this compelled me to take a look at the Physics page.... Wow do these people not realize they have an entire forum to discuss and share their insecurities, unprompted calls to the departments, and dreams of getting off the waitlist. That is literally all we do on the Literature page: "omg I am going to get shutout"  "called the department" "waiting is terrible" "Ahhhh!" (I am a part of this mind you).