University of Minnesota (Twin Cities/Duluth)

GeographyOSU

@Inka dreams

Adding to what limmerz has posted, Twin Cities has two campuses: one in Minneapolis and one in St. Paul.  The Minneapolis campus is broken down into the East Bank and West Bank.  Carlson School of Management (where the majority of our classes will be held) is located in the West Bank.  

@limmerz

Stacy actually mentioned that the school was going to start a Facebook group for us in the following weeks.  We should receive an email for that soon, look out of it!  :)
Edited by ArcherSterling

@Inka dreams

Adding to what limmerz has posted, Twin Cities has two campuses: one in Minneapolis and one in St. Paul.  The Minneapolis campus is broken down into the East Bank and West Bank.  Carlson School of Management (where the majority of our classes will be held) is located in the West Bank.  

@limmerz

Stacy actually mentioned that the school was going to start a Facebook group for us in the following weeks.  We should receive an email for that soon, look out of it!  :)

Thanks @ ArcherSterling @ Katia_Chan @ Limmerz

I was a little confused initially cuz on of my friends in Minnesota said there are many unis that are called university of Minnesota. It is understandable cuz we also have a similar system of unis in my country that are treated as separate based on their location, faculty, departmental strength, pedigree etc. even though they share the same name.

Can anyone help me with choosing accom? As in I am an international student, and I have absolutely no clue where to look or how. How much should I budget for accom, food, inet + miscellaneous per month? (Living expenses)

I would preferably look for something cheap but safe and neat and maybe around students nearby...

@ArcherSterling Oh sweet! i will definitely look out for that email. Thank you

@InkaDreams I posted some information about neighborhoods where you can look for housing options, one of the 1st year students right now sent it to me so it should sort of guide you. If you are looking for something that is affordable, you might want to get a 2 or more bedroom so you can have a roommate/roommates. You can check out Grandmarc apartments, they are really nice and really close to Carlson(according to @ArcherSterling)

@Inka dreams

Here are some links to help you with housing.  Some places offer furnished apartments and roommate matching.  I just signed my lease with Grandmarc (the first link) since it's the closest, and seems to be the cheapest of all options I was looking at.  

Near West Bank (Near Carlson): 

Near East Bank:

In terms of budgeting, it's hard to say.  If it's any consolation, there's so sales tax on clothing or unprepared foods (groceries) in Minnesota.  Hope this helps!

@Inka dreams West bank Seven corners probably is the closest one to Carlson. East bank has more options from my point of view . Several areas, Dinkey town, stadium area,etc. 

Hmm... I did check out GrandMarc apartments... looks neat. But no detail on rents etc.

What I am looking at is, I do not know how much to budget for a decent living. I am not keen on in campus living. So, I need to give my banks an estimate on rents, food, books and all. I have an estimate on the uni website, but I would rather hear it from people who know MN.

People say that off campus is generally cheaper and better but you need to look around. I am fine with it. But I would really appreciate if someone can post an estimate for a single guy in a shared accom or a non shared single room in a decent place.

@Inka dreams

Here are some links to help you with housing.  Some places offer furnished apartments and roommate matching.  I just signed my lease with Grandmarc (the first link) since it's the closest, and seems to be the cheapest of all options I was looking at.  

Near West Bank (Near Carlson): 

Near East Bank:

In terms of budgeting, it's hard to say.  If it's any consolation, there's so sales tax on clothing or unprepared foods (groceries) in Minnesota.  Hope this helps!

Oops... I saw this after I posted!! Cool, will have a look....

Thanks @ Archer Sterling!!

Still no decision from UMD..i contacted a PoI in the department, and he seemed frustrated that the admissions committee had not met yet, and it

sounds like this Friday might be the next available day. I assume this department doesn't have to follow the April 15th deadline. :/ I just want to find out soon...