popular things you hate

Guest Gnome Chomsky

One Direction. Seriously a ton of OLDER friends (and ex-friends) got very very into them. I'm not above mediocre pop music, but as boy bands go? They don't even dance, and they can barely sing. And I feel way too old to buy bracelets and DVDs meant for young tweens. I heard one of the group talking about wanting to bring up 1D in the class she teaches as a PhD student and I was mortified. There's having fun, and there's bringing up irrelevant things (irrelevant to her class, anyways) by forcibly trying to make them relevant and wasting your students' time. I don't know how or why a bunch of adults got so into them, nor do I particularly care -- but the increasing psuedo-academic/intellectual "critical analysis" of their love for the band and why they are good and important or worth enjoying is tiresome and embarrassing. 

You don't need to use academia to make something worth your own enjoyment, just enjoy your crappy pop music and stop trying to say it's subversive. It really, really isn't. 

Edited by m-ttl

One Direction. Seriously a ton of OLDER friends (and ex-friends) got very very into them. I'm not above mediocre pop music, but as boy bands go? They don't even dance, and they can barely sing. And I feel way too old to buy bracelets and DVDs meant for young tweens. I heard one of the group talking about wanting to bring up 1D in the class she teaches as a PhD student and I was mortified. There's having fun, and there's bringing up irrelevant things (irrelevant to her class, anyways) by forcibly trying to make them relevant and wasting your students' time. I don't know how or why a bunch of adults got so into them, nor do I particularly care -- but the increasing psuedo-academic/intellectual "critical analysis" of their love for the band and why they are good and important or worth enjoying is tiresome and embarrassing. 

You don't need to use academia to make something worth your own enjoyment, just enjoy your crappy pop music and stop trying to say it's subversive. It really, really isn't. 

Oh my god I'm glad I switched to STEM. o__o

new york city

You from the Chicago area, too?

I don't get the hype.  It smells, the shopping is dispersed, and it's just crazy.  Chicago may be the butt of jokes for many people and just as expensive in most ways but I still much prefer it.

Things I dislike everyone likes: YA Fiction, Distopian novels, etc.  The whole Hunger Games thing is not for me.  Far be it from me to tell people what to read but please stop telling ME what to read.  Oh, and Bon Iver.  I have no idea why people are so obsessive about Bon Iver.